Handgrip CL: impressions from use

meerec

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, PeterGA said:

Thanks for the tip re RRS alternative to Leicas 'foot' I'll have to check it out - you'd think Leica (at least ) would have made it Arca compatible...I don't mind the Leica hood -:)

Enjoy the visit to Leica store - I'm chilling out on the beach at Manly.

@PeterGA not only the RRS foot is small and flat and arcaswiss type it is also QD compatible at the same time, makes attaching a sling strap both super quick and super safe. I was to shoot sunrise in Northern Beaches (wth SL and SVE 15-35) but decided it’s to early to wake up this week 🤣

• Like 1

My rather beat-up Thumbie. Works like a charm. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And yes, the camera is well-used ;) and not very clean... :(

i initially bought just the thumb support. after using the CL with just that during a 4 hour community event that i had to cover and i had the camera always ready on my hand, 2 hours on - i felt my hand cramping. eventually, i bought the handgrip for better comfort. and for the next event that i had to cover (still 4 hours), i got caught offguard needing to capture a moment when i was changing battery! the design flaw on the handgrip that i thought was bad hindered me from changing batteries fast. anyways, i just closed the battery door and shoved the handgrip in one of my pouches while i took the photos. after that, i put it back on. hope they come up with an updated version with a cutout/window for the battery/memory card door.

2 hours ago, bianco said:

hope they come up with an updated version with a cutout/window for the battery/memory card door

I now use both, the thumb supprt, and the handgrip. I actually don’t mind I need to take the grip off to access the battery and card. Having a cutout would make it too complex for me. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use both also (thumb support + handgrip) 

They provide an easier handling  for heavier lenses such as Summilux-TL 35mm or longer lenses such as APO-Macro-TL 60mm or APO-Vario 55-135mm. But they are still manageable with a naked CL (you can support the whole setup with two hands : body and lens together)

However they are an absolute necessity for the biggest M lenses (APO 75-90, Lux 21-24-28 etc) because you have to support the whole setup with the body only. The left hand has to be free for manual focusing. 

Matter of tastes. Even with lenses like 90/2 or 135/3.4, the thumb support is enough for me. I prefer no handgrip or built-in ones adding no bulk to the camera, especially on compact ones like the CL. Also having to remove the handgrip to reach the battery or the memory card is a no no for me. YMMV.

3 hours ago, nicci78 said:

I use both also (thumb support + handgrip) 

They provide an easier handling  for heavier lenses such as Summilux-TL 35mm or longer lenses such as APO-Macro-TL 60mm or APO-Vario 55-135mm. But they are still manageable with a naked CL (you can support the whole setup with two hands : body and lens together)

However they are an absolute necessity for the biggest M lenses (APO 75-90, Lux 21-24-28 etc) because you have to support the whole setup with the body only. The left hand has to be free for manual focusing. 

Err... How do you focus ?? Unless you hold the camera in a weird way, the left hand supports the lens during focusing.

With a TL lens I hold the whole camera by the lens with my left hand, not by the CL. Way more ergonomic. 

But with a M lens I have to hold it by the CL with my right hand to avoid any unintentional change to lens settings (Aperture and focusing distance) 

Not really.

You rest the camera on the palm of your left hand to take the weight and use your thumb and index finger to control the lens, with all types of lenses (except very long ones with the controls more up front). You'll find your pinky locks against the EVF.

The mount on TL lenses even has ribbing next to the bayonet to rest your thumb and index finger on when not used, giving extra grip.

It is not very practical to "hold the camera by the lens" You will, as you say, operate the lens controls such as zoom ring and focusing ring by accident.

The right hand is for stabilizing and steering the camera, operating the wheels by thumb and the shutter by index finger. Oh- and essential: don't wave your elbows around, in against your body.

Try it: it is better than IBIS ;)

See the post I linked to. That is valid for both M and CL.

actually nowadays I mostly take pictures of my baby. So I need to be able to shoot at close distance and with only one hand.

Therefore a CL + thumb rest + handgrip + heavy TL lenses are more than adequate. 

I used to think that is was ok to use a naked CL. But after using the thumb rest, it becomes absurd to use it without one. And now with the handgrip it is the same. Only the stupid "have to remove the grip to change battery and SD" design makes me sad.    

some specs according to my kitchen scale 

CL handgrip adds 89g 

CL thumb rest adds 10g

Q handgrip adds 101g FYI it is a little bit taller than CL's

M10 handgrip add only 50g in total because it replace the original baseplate

If you know how much the leather protective Leica cases weight, I will be very interested

Edited by nicci78

I have the Thumbie and grip on my CL, as I have weak and arthritic hands. It is however, a pain to have to unscrew the grip to access battery or card every time. SD card is more frequent at present, due to the error on the firmware update, which disabled webserver access. I am more than a little disappointed that Leica, even though they are aware of this problem, have not got around to correcting it, by reversing the faulty FW update to this feature. The upside is that my SL is getting a bit more use these days, as its webserver access remains unimpaired. 

Wilson

Wilson,

I have found the Lim case which incorporates an effective grip, dovetail for tripod use and provides access to the battery/card compartment useful. It adds a little weight and bulk to the camera body but works well with larger and longer lenses.

2 hours ago, ayewing said:

Wilson,

I have found the Lim case which incorporates an effective grip, dovetail for tripod use and provides access to the battery/card compartment useful. It adds a little weight and bulk to the camera body but works well with larger and longer lenses.

That looks excellent. I will get one from him. I see he does rather a smart looking one in black with red stitching, which will go well with my Artist and Artisan red rope strap. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Thanks to all these suggestions I got the Thumbie for thumb grip and a front pad from flipbac, specifically a G3

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913685-REG/flipbac_fbg3_flipbac_camera_grip_g3.html/amp/

It all looks like it should and works very nicely. Usually I don’t like sticking stuff on a Leica, but both are removable. I wanted this camera to be a streetshooting one handed small light machine. Now it is with the small 18mm.

I also use a very minimalist shoulder strap from optech  that is little more than a string.

https://optechusa.com/mini-loop-strap-qd.html

I keep it over my right shoulder and the camera hangs from a single lug. Under a jacket it is completely invisible but easy to reach. A heavier camera and lens would be too much weight, but the CL and 18mm is so light.

Finally, I have added a UV filter on the 18mm and have dispensed with the lens cap. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Mr. Lim half case arrived from Korea this morning (no duty to pay, thank goodness) and thanks to forum member Ayewing, for pointing me in its direction. With a bit more thought, this is how Leica should have designed their grip. It has two big advantages over the Leica grip: 1) It is not necessary to unscrew the grip to replace the battery or access the card. The latter is even more important at present, since Leica screwed up web browser access with the last FW update, so I am having to remove the card quite frequently to get images onto my laptop. 2. It has a built in Arca compatible quick mount. This excellent bit of kit, I am afraid, puts Leica to shame for their lazy and poorly-thought-out design of the standard grip. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/27/2018 at 1:47 AM, 0luke1 said:

I use LIM’s half case. The grip is very useful, the case has both a built in arca Swiss type dovetail and a threaded tripod hole. The battery is accessible from the bottom. Bought it on amazon.

Get many compliments on its looks too. 

Mine arrived today thanks for the tip! loving the look and works well with the wrist strap and thumb rest (shot on X1D)

Edited by kennikins
  • Like 1