Handgrip CL: impressions from use

meerec

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve used a half-case on my CL for a year until today when it slipped off and I lost it. So I have a dilemma if I should buy a new case, or rather, get the handgrip. I do use the thumb support on my CL so i’m thinking that the handgrip may complement it well. The base of the handgrip protects the bottom part of the camera, and the thumb support and handgrip are perhaps useful for better handling and ergonomics. I probably do not care about using the finger loop at all though. What has been your experience from using this combination? And what do you think of forgetting the case altogether?

I use the thumb grip and the hand grip together, and I really like it. Keeps the clean design of the camera. The hand grip is easy to remove for battery and card changes, so it doesn’t bother me. The hand grip lends stability for larger lenses. The top was a little flexible, so I put a small piece of adhesive felt to the top and that eliminated the flex.

Edited by Barrylr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s the little piece of felt I attached to the inside of the top part of the grip. It eliminates flex.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm still new to the CL (only had it a couple weeks) but I have both the grip and thumb support and really like the ergonomics.  I'm thinking of getting a leather half case with built in grip - I have one on my D-Lux and it works fine with the smaller camera and its shorter lens so I'll turn the question around on you - what are your thoughts on using the half case with built in grip, at least with shorter lenses? 

I only use the grip for long/heavy lenses as I think it is a stupid design, blocking the battery/SD, and on top of that using a screw instead of a quick-release. For lighter lenses the Thumbie provides plenty of grip. Again - i dislike both the Thumbs-up and Leica thumbgrip, as they block the hot shoe.

• Like 1

I use a half case on the CL for the same reason I use a half case on my M4-2: I find the bodies a little thin and my hands need an XL to 2XL glove size. The case acts as a grip aid by thickening up the camera just a little, and doesn't get in my way the way the "grip" or  thumb rests do. Same deal with the X2 and X113. The cases give my fingers a bit more room on these small bodies.

9 hours ago, Ricard0 said:

I'm still new to the CL (only had it a couple weeks) but I have both the grip and thumb support and really like the ergonomics.  I'm thinking of getting a leather half case with built in grip - I have one on my D-Lux and it works fine with the smaller camera and its shorter lens so I'll turn the question around on you - what are your thoughts on using the half case with built in grip, at least with shorter lenses? 

Well -- I use the CL a lot as the "extender" for the SL 90-280 lens so a more solid grip (handgrip) would be perhaps more desirable for me than just a case with the grip. The Leica handgrip appears to be very solid. 

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

I only use the grip for long/heavy lenses as I think it is a stupid design, blocking the battery/SD, and on top of that using a screw instead of a quick-release. For lighter lenses the Thumbie provides plenty of grip. Again - i dislike both the Thumbs-up and Leica thumbgrip, as they block the hot shoe.

That's what I intend the extra support for: the longer lenses, notably the SL 90-280. At the same time, why are you concerned about the hot shoe being used by the tumbie @jaapv (I use the Leica one) -- I do not use a flash that often at all. The only harsh criticism I have, my wifey already lost one Leica thumbie as it comes off easily from the hot shoes when you wear the CL cross body on the strap. I'm paranoid now and keeps checking it's inserted properly all the time. 

14 minutes ago, meerec said:

That's what I intend the extra support for: the longer lenses, notably the SL 90-280. At the same time, why are you concerned about the hot shoe being used by the tumbie @jaapv (I use the Leica one) -- I do not use a flash that often at all. The only harsh criticism I have, my wifey already lost one Leica thumbie as it comes off easily from the hot shoes when you wear the CL cross body on the strap. I'm paranoid now and keeps checking it's inserted properly all the time. 

The Thumbie does not fit into the hot shoe; that is the Thumbs-Up. The Thumbie is a small grip that is stuck to the camera with (industry grade) doublesided tape. Much better. The only downside is that it brasses quite easily.

I do use the flash quite regularly for fill.

Thumb Support CL is the official name of the Leica accessory. I’m really inclined to ditch any and all cases and just use the Handgrip CL with the thumb support for all my needs. CL stays in my hand(s) for 98% of time, seldom on the tripod, so I can forego the lack of tripod socket with the handgrip attached. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. 

• Like 1

I too use the CL primarily as an 'extender' - mainly for the 90-280zoom. I carry the zoom and CL using the zoom's tripod mount as it 'feels' to me that the weight of the zoom is too much for the CL if I was to carry it around using a strap ( with zoom attached or using the body itself). The hand grip and thumb grip is a very important stabilising duo when using this heavy for body zoom - handheld. For shooting with smaller lenses I think the thumb grip is very helpful and since I never use a flash with this camera body it is of no concern. The handgrip itself is too flimsy a design to include a tripod mount - otherwise, I would have 'hacked' the Leica version and put a mount in it myself. Leica seem to have a 'thing' for making 'bottom plate devices - depriving ease of access to card and battery -:) perhaps a 'first world problem' reminds us all how lucky we are to be able to have such toys to play with.

btw  excellent idea to add some 'packing' to the top of the grip so as to force a tighter 'bind' to the body Barrylr.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterGA said:

I too use the CL primarily as an 'extender' - mainly for the 90-280zoom. I carry the zoom and CL using the zoom's tripod mount as it 'feels' to me that the weight of the zoom is too much for the CL if I was to carry it around using a strap ( with zoom attached or using the body itself). The hand grip and thumb grip is a very important stabilising duo when using this heavy for body zoom - handheld. For shooting with smaller lenses I think the thumb grip is very helpful and since I never use a flash with this camera body it is of no concern. The handgrip itself is too flimsy a design to include a tripod mount - otherwise, I would have 'hacked' the Leica version and put a mount in it myself. Leica seem to have a 'thing' for making 'bottom plate devices - depriving ease of access to card and battery -:) perhaps a 'first world problem' reminds us all how lucky we are to be able to have such toys to play with.

btw  excellent idea to add some 'packing' to the top of the grip so as to force a tighter 'bind' to the body Barrylr.

That is almost my setup @PeterGA with a few — in my mind — improvements 😀

I use the same kind of rope strap but artisan and artist’s in black. I replaced the humongous hood with a small screw-in metal hood attached to the filter thread. And I definitely replaced the huge foot with the one from Really Right Stuff. It’s all personal, I know. 

H`ppy shooting !! I’m off to Leica Store Sydney tomorrow to spend another $190 on the handgrip 😜

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, meerec said:

That is almost my setup @PeterGA with a few — in my mind — improvements 😀

I use the same kind of rope strap but artisan and artist’s in black. I replaced the humongous hood with a small screw-in metal hood attached to the filter thread. And I definitely replaced the huge foot with the one from Really Right Stuff. It’s all personal, I know. 

H`ppy shooting !! I’m off to Leica Store Sydney tomorrow to spend another $190 on the handgrip 😜

Thanks for the tip re RRS alternative to Leicas 'foot' I'll have to check it out - you'd think Leica (at least ) would have made it Arca compatible...I don't mind the Leica hood -:)

Enjoy the visit to Leica store - I'm chilling out on the beach at Manly.