Multiple bodies, fixed lenses?

LCL999

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As an alternative to a single system camera and multiple lenses, think about one body per lens.

The pros.

Leaf shutters, better integrated auto focus and image stabilization. Much quicker to choose a different focal length. Much greater robustness, and much less risk of getting dust on the sensor.

The cons.

A somewhat more bulky camera bag.

Personally, I find that when I go out shooting I very seldom change the lens.

So if you were to go down that path, what focal lengths would you choose? I guess the quality of zooms these days is such that you only need one body and with a good zoom.

We do carry-on luggage only even when traveling for five or six weeks, and my small kit helps achieve that goal, though there are other things we do as well.  My current kit is a Q and a V-Lux 114.  It's rare for that pair to disappoint me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 2:25 AM, LCL999 said:

So if you were to go down that path, what focal lengths would you choose?

I have gone down that path.

I use 21, 28, 35, 45, and 90mm focal lengths on three rangefinder bodies.

When I do not have time to quickly change lenses, I carry the three bodies with a lens mounted on each body.

My favorite combination is 21/35/90.

My second favorite combination is 21/45/90.

My third favorite combination is 28/45/90.

My favorite combination for landscape photography is 21/28/45.

Edited by Narsuitus

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 1:25 AM, LCL999 said:

The cons.

If a camera needs repair, you lose that lens for 3 months as well. I'd still want interchangeability.

The great Rock n' Roll photographer Jim Marshall often carried 5 Leicas with 21, 28, 35, 50, and 90 lenses mounted. Especially with the 90, he said, once he found a body that could focus it consistently, he never took that lens off again.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All true, but as a former Q user (yes I traded it in for the CL because I needed the cropped sensor and interchangeable lens), BUT we you see the Q files and what you can do with them, including cropping to a tiny size, I will say there is something very positive to be said for having sensor and software tuned to a single lens. 

For film, will I prefer two cameras so I can shoot two different films... I have lots of lenses but have narrowed it down to 35,50,90. Pretty much covers everything .. I do love my 40, however, and I will often take that as my solo lens. That's my two cents.

• 2 months later...

Uh...just one problem with this strategy (see photo - not mine). Ok - maybe not if they were all Leica rangefinders...but then you would need an attentive bodyguard.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, Richard Link said:

Uh...just one problem with this strategy (see photo - not mine). Ok - maybe not if they were all Leica rangefinders...but then you would need an attentive bodyguard.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

..and a full-time physiotherapist.

• 5 months later...