Issues with hood on Elmrit 28 ASPH falling off?

kuad82001

Strange.

I have the same lens (11606 ?)  and the hood 12526 (A42) that came with it clips very well, it never falls off.

Have a look at the four clips with springs if they respond well when you push on the side buttons.

But you may prefer, like me screw-in vented hood type E39 available cheap from net or store.

Edited by a.noctilux

I've experienced some variation with those little rectangular clip-on hoods (12524, also used for 35 Summicrons dating back to the 1980s - will even fit lenses from the 1960s). I tried a 2000s-era one once and it was loose and wobbly on a 1980s lens. Probably individual sample variation, though. Weak springs, a poorly molded plastic part, who knows?

Yes, a screw-on hood might transmit damage to a lens, precisely because it is more firmly attached. The clip-ons will "break away" before the impact force is strong enough to damage the lens. However, that is mostly theoretical - my experience (going all the way back to the 70s with Nikkor screw-on hoods) is that even metal hoods bend or dent to absorb the shock of an "accident" long before the lens itself is affected, in 999 cases out of 1000.

48 minutes ago, kuad82001 said:

I mean is there a difference between a vented hood and a non vented Hood?

In use, with each hood on the lens and lateral/direct light, shielding can be effective more or less.

For best shielding adverse light, rectangular hood is better than round hood.

In my use, I prefer less OVF blocking of vented round hood with 10/15% more view at bottom/right than 12526 rectangular hood

At some point, I drilled a hole in the rectangular hood, like here:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On Summilux-M 35mm, that was another story, as some vignetting at corners occured, so another corner cuttings ...

same with my Elmarit-M 28mm round/vented hood that was too "long".

Edited by a.noctilux

2 hours ago, kuad82001 said:

Would the metal version 12524 alleviate this issue?

My 12524 (older "same" as 12526) is plastic.

Only the push-in buttons are  metallic (if that is what you mean) but the hood plastic.

Remember that with "older 12524" you will loose the hood's cap as the "clippings" on the hood to retain it's cap is not as "capping" as newer 12526.

Edited by a.noctilux

The 12524 hood had no hood cap at the time of the Summicron 35/2 v4. At least there were none in the box when i bought mine in the eighties and my Leitz catalogue from 1981 doesn't refer to any hood cap either. Reason why the 12524 hood has less pronounced retaining nubs than those of the 12526 hood i guess. On the 12524, the nubs were meant to assist when mounting/unmounting the hood, not to grip a not yet existing hood cap then. The later 14043 hood cap will then fall of more easily if it is used on the 12524 instead of 12526 hood. Anyway, both 12524 and 12526 hoods are made of plastic indeed. None of them are loose on my 35/2 v4, 35/2 asph v1 or 28/2.8 asph v1 lenses i must say but wear and tear and/or sample variation may be the culprit.

• 4 weeks later...

The internal diameter of hood (12526) on my 2012 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH has four sprung legs which require a very firm push on the two release tabs to actuate.  Even with the sprung legs fully retracted, the hood is a tight push onto the lens barrel. Can't see it ever falling off!

Edited by Keith (M)