" A Journey of a Thousand Leagues..."

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...needs to begin somewhere!

Hello everyone.

I just received a lllc as a present, and I am interested in sending it away for some work. This is my first Leica, and I certainly have lots to learn. The Serial Number is 501xxx ( it seems a bit silly to have to conceal the number, but, I've seen other's do it on other, non-camera sites,, so I will, too...for now! ), and the camera looks complete / operates/ has a clear lens / and  shows just one (1) dent, on the upper left edge of the "Leica' signed top plate.

So: where should I consider sending this camera to have it mechanically gone-through & given a cosmetic make-over? 

And: I did spend a while looking through our List of shops that offer this work, but it seems to be quite a lot of information to examine, and I decided to simply (!) ask others, what they suggest!

Thanks.   Michael.

Hello Michael,

Welcome to the Forum. This Forum is the right place to ask questions. Altho I might ask the same question again in the "Leica Collectors & Historica" section.

You might also consider where it is convenient for you to have the work done since there are appropriate people who do this type of work in various parts of the Planet.

By the way, if you haven't noticed already, there is a list of people who do this type of work at the top of the page for the "Leica Collectors & Historica " section.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

As was mentioned at the end of the Steve McQueen movie, "Le Mans":  Thank you, Michael!

I'm beginning to feel that finding a shop or individual who will help me with my lllC may be difficult. I hope to encounter someone who will take the camera in, and 'go through it', attending to all mechanical necessities, as well as helping with the (few! ) cosmetic issues.

Then again: it's fun to learn how folks who know & work on cameras approach things. I'm sure it will be educational!

If I may also say: as someone who has very much enjoyed a long-time ( 25+ years ) hobby of collecting and working on pocket watches and wrist watches--mostly USA and European pieces from 1850 to 1950-- I learned many years ago, that there seem to be relatively few of us who are able to do this work. Although the tools required are readily available and one's motor-skills need not approach that of a brain surgeon, the work is difficult and requires a 'feel' for things mechanical that seems uncommon.

It looks to me as if the same situation will apply to attending to Leica cameras...Good!

Thanks again.   Michael. 

Hello Michael.

Thanks for staying in contact...I appreciate it.

As one might expect (!), I'll be  happy to send my lllC anywhere in North America. I also think that England or Germany would be fine locations. I have corresponded with folks in these Countries on timepiece-related issues ( technical advice / restoration / market conditions / etc ) ,and I am comfortable with the 'culture' there.

I would very much like to send my Leica to a 'one-stop' shop, where it could be mechanically AND cosmetically attended to. Once again, there is one (1) dent on the top, and some flaking of the chrome plating on the base plate...this being noted, however, I respectfully suggest that the camera looks very-good, and in no way seems 'rough' of abused...the Old Fellow simply needs a bit of TLC! 

As an aside: I also own a very-nice condition Contax llA, 'color dial;'  that I bought many years ago. It's a real sweetie, and looks great...however, I wanted to have it cleaned & adjusted before using, and I was never able to discover a person or shop that I was comfortable with...I heard of many-month-waiting times / some unhappy customers / etc., and I was not inclined to send the Zeiss in.

I will say, that there seems to be a type of person who will 'say' that they can do a certain type of work, but--as comments from those who say that they've dealt with the person suggest--the work accomplished is not that impressive. I daresay this is Human Nature, and many folks assign themselves abilities that they do not possess.  

All this being said, I do reckon that there are many folks who are perfectly capable of over-hauling a nice lllC Leica, and that I'll soon discover one, here!

Thanks again.   Michael.