External Flash on X Vario

Hugh 38

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased an X Vario in the  summer  and  have used it a little, mainly  concentrating on using up my  last  rolls of  film.

The X Vario appears  to be  fine  outside in  daylight , mainly  using  full  Auto   until I get used to  it . However  I have found the  built in flash is not  very powerful  and  at times I would  like more  power. I  know I can buy   a SF 24    to  go on it . 

Can I  fut  a  different  flash  gun on it ?  Could  I  put  one of  my old  flash  guns  with  a  SCA  351    adapter  which  I used  well on  my  R6 , R7  . I  realise  I  would  loose   some of the   functions  and  the  handling  would  change . However  I  am  concerned  I may  damage t he  electrics   in the  X Vario . 

Any  ideas ? 

Hugh, Hi,

I agree it is more challenging using the X Vario indoors. My approach is rather different because flash is my last choice when faced with low light. First, explore the higher ISO settings to determine the the highest ISO that you find satisfactory. Set that number as your higher number when using Auto-ISO. If you can access noise-reduction software,  you will possibly find you can go even higher. Next, maximise your use of the wider angle lens zoom settings. The widest angle will give you the fastest aperture, which helps in low light. 

The next step is to consider a small compact lightweight table tripod, such as the excellent Manfrotto Pixie or Pixie Evo. Use of such devices opens up a whole new world of indoor low light possibilities. (You do not need high ISOs when using a tripod, so set a low ISO for maximum quality) Discover the advantages of using delayed action to minimize shake when making an exposure using a tripod. 

If flash is essential, consider using the built-in flash purely as a trigger for remote flashes carefully positioned in or near your indoor scene. In that way you extend their coverage.

I am sure other members will offer more relevant advice regarding flash unit compatibility. Once you have found a solution, try to conceal the fact that you have used flash. The ideal is to preserve the realism of available light, albeit augmented with flash illumination. I hope this helps you.

Edited by wda

David's points here are right on. I would add that for myself, in many situations Il'l go all out if I do use flash to dial it down as far as possible. In some situations though, if you can rather than try and hide it, just go for the artifice and flaunt it to good affect. The X cameras are good at this fitted with leaf shutters and also the ability to quickly dial down flash and exposure values.  On the negative side, they they do tend to dot our eyes with light so to speak.  On a positive note, they light things up- brighten colors up!  It can be fun to celebrate that.

Here is an example that is from the X-113 (before I owned my X Vario):  Obviously very subjective but I feel this image at the very least plays to the flash in a positive way. It was dark out and even at f 1.7 and 1600 ISO,  I opted to use on-board flash as best way to balance subject and the sign on the Herald Building.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Another from X-113  In this one, I might have tamed the eyes but for better or worse this way emphasizes the deer in the headlights affect. :)

I also think that the on-board flash on the X cameras is such cool design, so while I prefer available light, I look welcome the opportunity to use the flash, and find it plenty powerful for my needs. I occasionally use the SF-20 and it works great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You need to ask the manufacturer of your flashes to see if it has a low-voltage trigger.

If it has a high-voltage trigger, then there is the possibility  of damaging the X Vario.

There are some very good low-cost flashes available nowadays, so I don't see much point in trying to reuse older flashes.

I personally use the Godox flashes exclusively as I like them very much. 

Toshi

• Like 4

Thanks  for  your   advice  and   wonderful pictures .

I  have  been looking up  'trigger voltages' as  I had  heard the  term  a  while  ago. . I have  done   some measuring  with the   guns  I  have  and  I have a  Metz  44MZ   which  measures   5.9V  , my  45 CL  9.3V    and  a    Variant  742  which  measures   19V .  I  can not  find  a  'safe'  voltage  for the   X Vario . I note  the   Leica  CF  gun is listed as   11V .

I may get  a    Leica  24  flash ,  though  for   the moment  I will    use  what  I  have  , especially  as  I use little  flash  and  it means  one  less  bit of  stuff in the house. 

Good  suggestions  above  about   changing  the  ISO , and   using  a tripod  . I was at a  small    social  function  when I  discovered the  flash  problem.  I  will  have  to    try   more    with the  X  Vario .  A  big   difference   to    an  SL2 .

I haven't really ventured into flash with my X-Vario, nor many/any of my current cameras. (R & M, plus Hasselblad). This is in stark contrast to my earlier days where nearly every wedding shot was flash. I'd say you'd be safe with a Leica flash, surely.

I did buy recently but have yet to really use, a hot-shoe mounted I/R trigger, more for a couple of studio style lights I have.

One thought, if your Metz gear has a slave capability, perhaps dial right down the inbuilt flash and use that to trigger your bigger flash(es). No chance of frying the X-Vario electrics. A simple plug in slave unit would be all that is required if it's not already built in.

Gary

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, TMorita said:

You need to ask the manufacturer of your flashes to see if it has a low-voltage trigger.

If it has a high-voltage trigger, then there is the possibility  of damaging the X Vario.

There are some very good low-cost flashes available nowadays, so I don't see much point in trying to reuse older flashes.

I personally use the Godox flashes exclusively as I like them very much. 

Toshi

Toshi, a lovely portrait. Please tell me, is the main light natural light or off-camera flash?

On 12/27/2018 at 2:03 AM, wda said:

Thanks.  Blended with ambient?

No, I usually kill the ambient light.

The X Vario is hard to shoot killing the ambient because there's no option to keep the viewfinder brightness constant.

I usually do this with the Sony RX1 since it has the option to keep the viewfinder brightness constant.

Here's links to a few sample photos with the Sony RX1 and flash:

Edited by TMorita
add links

9 hours ago, wda said:

Toshi, fine portraits.  Regarding my reference to ambient light, I was thinking more of daylight outdoors where it is more important to  maintain a balance.

I'm not sure what you mean by balance. I shoot the same way outdoors in daylight.

Here's some samples (with Sony RX1, but same technique applies to any camera).

Your 1st and 3rd examples show what I regard as 'balanced' lighting; where it is not obvious that studio flash has been used; where ambient lighting looks natural. Your 2nd one leaves a little doubt in the mind as whether it is a studio or outdoor portrait.