Opinions: Which M-series lens is best for landscapes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you want to shoot landscapes with a Leica, a combo of 35/90 (or 35/75) gives incredible versatility.  I use a small 35f2.8 C Biogon and a 90f2.8 TeleElmarit M which is not any bigger then a 50.  However, no 35mm camera is going to produce the results of a medium format.  Back before digital, the main reason photographers used 35mm film was for the compact size of the camera and lenses, not for the photographic results and the same still applies.  I carried 35mm for years mountaineering more as a diary function to record my trips.  Of course, I always hoped for that one great shot which was worth enlarging and putting on the wall.  Every once in a while, I got one.

There was a reason Adams used large format.  However, toward the end of his life the size and weight of the gear became too much even for him and he switched to a medium format Hasselblad.  Remember, Barnack invented the 35mm format because he had asthma and got tired of lugging film holders and gear to the top of the hills in Germany.

Go over to rangefinder forum and check out the "Medium Format. . .Long May It Live" thread.  You will see why more film area is better than less film area all other things being equal.  However, only you can determine if the size difference between medium format cameras and 35mm cameras is worth the results to you.  And no, I don't think one lens on the Rollie would be a limitation. The 75-80mm lenses found on Rollies is closer to 40mm in the 35 format then 50 and for many an ideal lens.  And no lens made for 35mm will match the sharpness of a medium format lens when it comes to enlarging a photo simply because you don't have to blow up a 6x6 negative as much as a 35mm negative for the same size print.

Edited by ktmrider2
  • Like 5

Oh boy, another which is better...I shoot both 35 and medium format and have for years. Various cameras for different subject matter and don’t forget lenses. All the various lenses will create different perceptions. The choice of film likewise. I still have not stated my one preference, however medium format is an excellent choice. Ask yourself if you going to publish your work, then color transparency. Color negative for prints to show what you saw. Black and white for shadows, atmosphere, a film noir projection. If you are backpacking, then space/weight has to come into consideration. A roll of 35mm will give you 36 exposures, where as medium, 120, will give either 12 or 24 with the Rollei. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something to think about is the kind of landscape you will be seeing.  Rural Ireland is either rolling hills, smallish mountains and or flat areas.  Most of it is uniformly green (filter choice matter, if i am bringing only two it is yellow green and orange).  i am not sure a case can be made for anything longer than 35 unless you are prepared to hike high enough to get a vista deserving of a panorama. I have  have cycled the western half of Ireland  including the highest pass (north of Dingle) and you are getting an opinion based on this type of experience.  A wider lens would be useful for some of the villages/pubs, say a 24.  In my pre Leica days I had an OM 1 and hiking in the Rockies used only a 35 and a 100 to keep the weight down (leave room for Scotch).  98% of the shots are with the 35 (Kodachrome days).  Today its Hasselblad and Leica.  Hassy when you are not going far,  tough to beat their 60mm or the SWC.   As far as Leica goes, the other comment I'd make is the more you travel (assuming you are walking around), the more discerning you become about which lenses to bring .  For a month trip I am bringing 4, used to be 7.  The 35 will probably be used for 80% or more of the shots (Scotland and a river cruise in Europe).  Court

• Like 1

Travel is about mobility..

The less weight, the least decisions, less choices the better.

I prefer 50mm on 35mm. A 90mm great and maybe a 35mm.

If BW carry filters, green, green-yellow and orange and red.

Leave Rollei at home if not very familiar with it!

The 4x5 suggestion is the best but need a servant to carry th sucker, tripod, film  plates.. sigh.

Again, less is more.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IMHO it really depends on what you want to do with the finished product...produce nice 16x20 fine arts prints or do something larger. The larger the print, the more appealing the Rollei is, and it doesn't weigh that much. However if you're more into prints smaller than 16x20, I'd definitely go with the Leica. Having toured the Mediterranean for 9 months, a Leica and only a 35mm lens (although I had access to others) I found it to be the right lens for most of my shots. A shorter focal length, pushed things too far out and too small. Longer focal length didn't capture enough surrounding details. Having said that, if you do choose just the Leica, take a 28-35 and a 50 and you should do just fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just about any focal length can be used for landscapes. Wides and super wides will give you context. Medium focal lengths will give some more detail. Longer lenses will give you compressed perspectives which you can't get with wide lenses.

21mm Zeiss Biogon:

M9 - Odaiba by Archiver, on Flickr

75mm Voigtlander Heliar:

M9 - The Lake of Trees by Archiver, on Flickr

25mm Voigtlander Skopar:

CV25 - The Mystic Mountains by Archiver, on Flickr

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 4:49 PM, wizard said:

35mm + 90mm makes a great, versatile kit for landscape photography. Add a small 21mm Voigtlaender lens for some drama, if required. 

Cheers, 

Andy

This is my favourite travel combination. A 35mm Summicron, 90mm Macro Elmar and 21mm Skopar all take 39mm filters so I can just bring along one or two filters. If I need to save weight I just prioritise 35 > 90 > 21 which gives a one-, two- or three-lens kit.

Edited by Nick_S
  • Like 3