M10 Dot replacement - Screw?

CrisRose

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

Having seen the M10-P's replacement screw where the M10 red dot is, I was wondering if anyone yet made a little body-coloured dot replacement to emulate the look?

I've found people selling black and chrome blanks, but no one selling one with a screw-like groove down the middle. If no one makes them yet, I can have some made, but I wanted to check first.

Thanks!

Ps. my M10 is silver ;)

57 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

There isn't - it's just a hole to access the rangefinder adjustment.

You could always saw the head of a large screw and glue that in place!

earleygallery is right, but glue is troublesome should we need to service the RF. If someone could offer the hole's measure perhaps we could find a proper tap & screw. I doubt that Leica's screw is self tapping- that would be wonderful and cost-effective for Leica. (and then we could argue about the position of the screw's slot. :))

Edited by pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, pico said:

earleygallery is right, but glue is troublesome should we need to service the RF. If someone could offer the hole's measure perhaps we could find a proper tap & screw. I doubt that Leica's screw is self tapping- that would be wonderful and cost-effective for Leica. (and then we could argue about the position of the screw's slot. :))

You have an M10. Measure the hole.

13 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

You have an M10. Measure the hole.

My instrument cannot measure such a small hole. I could order a replacement screw and measure that for diameter and pitch. Will look into it.

Edited by pico

2 hours ago, Tragg said:

You may not care but I wouldn't be surprised if altering your camera in any way that is irreversible voids the guarantee

I rather doubt that - it might void the guaranty on the screw, though ;)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tragg said:

You may not care but I wouldn't be surprised if altering your camera in any way that is irreversible voids the guarantee

The Leica guarantee deals with faulty construction, but Leica Support deals with modifications made to the camera all the time, such as those cameras dropped onto hard concrete floors. Besides which if you told Leica a field repair was necessary after the screw fell out and was lost they'd believe you, there are probably many shouts across the factory floor of 'another lost screw (insert any other component) here!'

• 2 months later...

For those who do not want to sacrifice their camera, there is a simple method to a red dot - a red soft release button.....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 2

• 3 years later...
On 12/21/2018 at 10:39 AM, CrisRose said:

Hi Guys,

Having seen the M10-P's replacement screw where the M10 red dot is, I was wondering if anyone yet made a little body-coloured dot replacement to emulate the look?

I've found people selling black and chrome blanks, but no one selling one with a screw-like groove down the middle. If no one makes them yet, I can have some made, but I wanted to check first.

Thanks!

Ps. my M10 is silver ;)

Hey, man. I might be interested in that for my M11. Cheers

On 12/21/2018 at 7:39 AM, CrisRose said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

Ps. my M10 is silver ;)

Its pretty trivial to make a custom "screw-dot" using a resin 3d printer and some calipers to measure the size of an existing dot.

If anyone wants to give me some solid dimensions using a pair of digital calipers I'd be happy to model something up.  Either that or send me an extra red dot and I'll make a model for it.

You could then have it printed at Shapeways or some other resin printing service.  Then remove your old dot, spray the printed dot with some enamel paint and then affix with some 3M double sided tape.

If sending measurements i'd need the following:

1. Diameter
  2. Thickness of dot / or dot recess in the camera body.

Even better if someone has one of the "screw-dots" then measure the slot width and length across the dot as well.

Edited by jaybeuff
clarity