28 lux + filter

kwan_de

1 minute ago, Soden said:

I ditched the hood, went with one of Thorsten Overgaard’s. 

I ditched the hood full stop, I am careful not to knock the lens and sometimes I will get flare (not that often) but be it

btw the lens is actually smaller than you'd think when the hood is on as if the hood was a little oversized in proportion

It all depends what type of filter you try to fit. In addition to Leica filters it works with B+W, Heliopan and Hoya 49mm standard filters. I suspect polarising or variable ND filters with extra nobs on the filter edge to enable good grip wouldn’t fit under the standard lenshood.

28 minutes ago, DickieT said:

+1 much less viewfinder blockage and great fitting hood

2 hours ago, Soden said:

I ditched the hood, went with one of Thorsten Overgaard’s. 

I assume 3rd party lens hood screws into the filter thread and probably is ventilated type.  If T.O. sells lens hoods that screw onto the outer thread does he have Leica permission, that solution is patented.  Try not to drop lens with direct screw in 3rd part lens hood as the original crumple zone to protect the lens barrel has been removed. 

In contrast original lens hood is modern M wide lens design, screws onto the dedicated outer screw thread, technically good solution.  I usually frame my 28mm with external optical VF so lens hood blockage is non issue.  Even when using RF difference between lens hood being fitted or not is minimal as bare lens barrel of Summilux 28mm is already blocking bottom quarter. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/21/2018 at 8:45 AM, kwan_de said:

Hi, I just got into leica and bought  28 lux + leica filter but it seem like i can't fit both the hood and filter, did I do something wrong? Or is their another filter (brand) that can fit both the hood and filter.

Thanks

If it is a Leica filter it will 100% fit with the Leica hood. I have the exact same setup. Ensure that the retaining ring is removed from the front of the lens otherwise you won't be able to install the filter. Leica's ND, color, and UVa filters will all fit in conjunction with the hood.

• Like 2

There are three E49 UVa filters:

13035 - Newest, UVA-III, fits fine.

13328 - Original, UVA, should fit as well.

13329 - slim filter for MATE-2, slightly larger external diameter - does not fit inside of hood.

Enjoy.

4 hours ago, kwan_de said:

hmm... my hood won't fit if i install the e49 UVa leica. Do you have a picture on how you get it to fit?

Thanks

There is a threaded race that comes with the 28 Lux. You need to make sure you have removed this (after you remove the hood)  

All Recent leica uVA filters will fit with the hood mounted. 

Remove the retaining ring per dkmoore, picture below. Screw on 49mm filter, mine is B+ W, screw on the hood.

Enjoy your 28 Lux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dkmoore said:

Thanks LeicaFan1for posting the pictures. I couldn't' figure out how to reduce the file size of my iPhone pictures to post the pics directly from the iPhone to this site.

mail the photo to yourself, when you press send a dialogue will open where you can select the file size. Choose one smaller than 1MB if you subscribe, or smaller than 500KB if you don’t. When you receive the mail “save image” then post this new copy to the forum.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Exodies said:

mail the photo to yourself, when you press send a dialogue will open where you can select the file size. Choose one smaller than 1MB if you subscribe, or smaller than 500KB if you don’t. When you receive the mail “save image” then post this new copy to the forum.

Duh, I do this all the time actually. Ha!  Too many bourbons for me on Christmas Eve my brain didn't turn on.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 8:21 AM, mmradman said:

I assume 3rd party lens hood screws into the filter thread and probably is ventilated type.  If T.O. sells lens hoods that screw onto the outer thread does he have Leica permission, that solution is patented.  Try not to drop lens with direct screw in 3rd part lens hood as the original crumple zone to protect the lens barrel has been removed. 

In contrast original lens hood is modern M wide lens design, screws onto the dedicated outer screw thread, technically good solution.  I usually frame my 28mm with external optical VF so lens hood blockage is non issue.  Even when using RF difference between lens hood being fitted or not is minimal as bare lens barrel of Summilux 28mm is already blocking bottom quarter. 

You assume incorrectly, The Overgaard hood screws on the same external threads as the leica hood does, leaving the filter threads unused. I use the Breakthrough Technology filter and it works fine. However it does lock the hood in place, because of the little grip knobs on the filter. Since the optical cell travels 100% within the body of the lens this works, and works well. Patents are not the users concern.

Edited by Soden
Format and clarity

1 hour ago, Soden said:

You assume incorrectly, The Overgaard hood screws on the same external threads as the leica hood does, leaving the filter threads unused. I use the Breakthrough Technology filter and it works fine. However it does lock the hood in place, because of the little grip knobs on the filter. Since the optical cell travels 100% within the body of the lens this works, and works well. Patents are not the users concern.

Enjoy your T.O. lens hood, I’’ll keep enjoying Leicas own.

• 1 year later...
On 12/25/2018 at 5:02 AM, dkmoore said:

If it is a Leica filter it will 100% fit with the Leica hood. I have the exact same setup. Ensure that the retaining ring is removed from the front of the lens otherwise you won't be able to install the filter. Leica's ND, color, and UVa filters will all fit in conjunction with the hood.

You are a life saver! I made an account to this forum just to thank you hahaha :) I haven't used filters on my lens for the last 8 year but recently bought hoya 85b filters to shoot some kodak vision3 500T film in daylight. Did not see that there was a retaining ring to hide the unused filter thread. Love this little detail that really cleans up the overall aesthetic of the lens. I'll be sure not to misplace it hahaha :) This filter is pretty damn thick so I assume most if not all filters should fit with the OE lens hood.