Card problem CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

With my new CL I got a Lexar SD HC II card, 32GB, 150 MB/s, 1000x.

After taking pictures and switching to play to view the results the CL locks up. I have to take the battery out and in again.

All settings are lost. Firmware is 2.1. With older, slower cards this problem doesn’t happen. Anyone?

Leon from Holland.

59 minutes ago, Klassika said:

I figured it out, the card is a type II and not a type I, and that is the problem. Also according to Leica Wetzlar who gave me the same answer, problem solved.

Thanks for your reactions and Happy Holidays,

Leon.

That is strange. I am using UHS-II card (Sony) with no issues in my CL and the technical specification in the user manual (p.94) says that UHS-II cards are OK to use in CL.

• Like 1

It’s the Lexar SD HC II that gives this problem. I went to my dealer and he tried 2 of these cards in another CL and the camera locked up and the red light kept on. Only battery out and in got the camera to work again. So I got a different card and no problema now.

My dealer sent an email to Wetzlar and they said that this specific card gives problems. Maybe a future firmware update will solve this.

• Thanks 1

I'm a bit surprised that you managed to buy a Lexar card. There are all kinds of things wrong there and they have all but disappeared from the market; the last batches appeared to struggle wih quality and shops have taken any remaining ones from the shelves.  The Sony cards seem to be identical to the "old" Lexar ones and are unproblematic.

https://petapixel.com/2018/10/25/lexar-quits-xqd-cards-accuses-sony-of-preventing-progress/

On 12/20/2018 at 7:34 AM, Klassika said:

Hi,

With my new CL I got a Lexar SD HC II card, 32GB, 150 MB/s, 1000x.

After taking pictures and switching to play to view the results the CL locks up. I have to take the battery out and in again.

All settings are lost. Firmware is 2.1. With older, slower cards this problem doesn’t happen. Anyone?

Leon from Holland.

Very odd. I too have a Lexar SD HC II card, 32GB, 150 MB/s, 1000x which I bought in January this year when I received my CL. It has worked perfectly ever since. I formatted it with the SDFormatter before using it and normally re format the card in the camera after downloading images. It may well be that as Jaapv suggests there was a deterioration in quality of the last batches of Lexar cards.

I have had problems with some Lexar cards that I bought to use in my Nikon. I have just about quit using them due to quality issues. I can usually count on at least one out of 100 shots not recording properly. I have never had problems with Sandisk

I had almighty problems with a Lexar type 11 150mb/s 1000x 32gb card in my SL in both October 2017 and spring 2018.  The camera kept locking up when switched on with R lenses fitted or when switching from a 24-90 to an R100 or 180.  After 2 trips to Wetzlar Leica could find nothing wrong with the camera, lenses or adapter. I was told the problem was with the card and not to use it.   See SL thread.  Research on line at the time showed Olympus also told one of their users not to use Lexar cards.  I use only Sandisk now - and have had no trouble.

Merry Christmas all, and a happy New Year

Graeme