tdodington

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a new M10-P and have installed latest firmware, 12/2018, with fast Lexar 128GB 1000x memory card.  The other night I went out to photo sunset, but the MENU button would not work, managed some pix, removed battery, switched on and off a few times, finally all OK.  I have NEVER had an unreliable Leica (or Nikon), and for $8000.  Tonight I went to make a picture and the LIVE button wouldn't work, nor the MENU button, and the display of ISO was weak and dim (fresh battery).  In  a few minutes all working OK.  Has anyone else had similar troubles with M10 or M10-P? My Leica Q and digital M never gave me a bit of trouble.

15 hours ago, tdodington said:

I have a new M10-P and have installed latest firmware, 12/2018, with fast Lexar 128GB 1000x memory card.  The other night I went out to photo sunset, but the MENU button would not work, managed some pix, removed battery, switched on and off a few times, finally all OK.  I have NEVER had an unreliable Leica (or Nikon), and for $8000.  Tonight I went to make a picture and the LIVE button wouldn't work, nor the MENU button, and the display of ISO was weak and dim (fresh battery).  In  a few minutes all working OK.  Has anyone else had similar troubles with M10 or M10-P? My Leica Q and digital M never gave me a bit of trouble.

I think I have the same issue as yours. Is the display in the viewfinder flashing "Sd" for a while? You can't do anything but you can release the shutter normally but there is no picture save on the memory. If so I have the same issue. still waiting someone to solve this problem.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I cannot say large cards are very convenient - if you fill them up you either have to wait until they are fullto be able to process, wait for Bridge to run through all downloaded shots to download or reformat each time you download and only use a fraction of the card.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jaapv said:

I cannot say large cards are very convenient - if you fill them up you either have to wait until they are fullto be able to process, wait for Bridge to run through all downloaded shots to download or reformat each time you download and only use a fraction of the card.

Really, this is not true. There are other ways to manage a workflow that do in fact exploit the convenience of a large card. It is quite easy to download images after a shoot, and then only download new images on your next shoot if you please. Then you have less cards and older images are still retained for awhile, which can buy you time on getting the images to all of the necessary back up hard drives. I don't like to go through the full archiving process every time I come back from a shoot. If the images are in 3 places that's fine - and if the card is one of those places for awhile that works. 

vor 37 Minuten schrieb pgh:

Really, this is not true. There are other ways to manage a workflow that do in fact exploit the convenience of a large card. It is quite easy to download images after a shoot, and then only download new images on your next shoot if you please. Then you have less cards and older images are still retained for awhile, which can buy you time on getting the images to all of the necessary back up hard drives. I don't like to go through the full archiving process every time I come back from a shoot. If the images are in 3 places that's fine - and if the card is one of those places for awhile that works. 

That is exactly why I wait for the 1TB card. In the meantime I use a 32GB card. And after each shooting day I save the pictures onto my Mac (import into LR), make sure that I saw a time machine run and then I reformat the card in the camera. 

• 1 month later...

So, is the problem still exist? Or you've sent camera in for servicing already? just wanna follow up this problem.

I sent my camera in for a month now. They said they haven't found the problem TT I told them to give a try to do in "that" condition which makes the camera freezes. Now I am waiting for their result.

Edited by kArthie

• 3 weeks later...

I also had a problem today with a new 10-P and a new (formatted) 16 GB SD card from Leica Mayfair: after a few shots the LCD would freeze and although I could fire the shutter the image didn't record to the card. Turning the camera off and then on fixed the problem but after a few exposures the same thing happened again and so it continued for 2 hours. Frustrating as I'm on holiday in Singapore and I lost a few shots that showed on the LCD but didn't record to the card. I've changed the card to one that I've used before, formatted it and re-set the camera to factory settings. The firmware is the latest: 2.6.5.1. I've never had unreliability from a Leica before and I'm hoping its a bad card. I start a 2 week cruise of the Far East tomorrow so fingers and toes crossed that the problem is now fixed. I have a back-up APS-C camera but my other 3 M bodies are back in the UK.

Broadoaker:

Disappointing, but at least there are numerous Leica shops in Singapore open until very late today, so I would quickly go to one and see if the problem can be made to appear in the shop.   I’m not sure how many cards you carry.  I usually have ten empty cards which have been freshly formatted in the camera, followed by a couple of test shots on each card.   I never delete during the trip.  Singapore was great.  Cruise wasn’t my scene.   Enjoy 🌊

Edited by lucerne

Cruising has its strengths and weaknesses but I'm prepared to overlook the latter for the convenience of a hotel room that moves itself to another city overnight. My body clock suggests deferring testing the new SD card until tomorrow morning as I'm not sure that visiting a Leica dealer would help if there is an intrinsic problem with the camera and I am due to leave the city within 24 hours. I'm happy to be corrected if mistaken.

Unfortunately the problem does not lie with the SD card as it persists with a new SD card. Visiting the Leica store in Orchard Road was a waste of time as they said that this was not an issue that they had encountered before and that the camera might have to go to Germany. I've tried to re-load the firmware but as the camera has the latest version of 2.6.5.1 this option is greyed out in the menu as so is unavailable. About to get on a boat for 2 weeks. Suggestions?

My Leica M10P also froze a couple of times today.  Turning the power off does not shut down the LCD screen.  The camera was not responding to any command.  The only fix was to remove the battery and then turned the camera back on again.  Camera then became functional.  I thought it might be the cold weather in Southern California...

Yes, 2.6.5.1 was already installed.

It's worrying to read that there are several different manifestations of the M10P freeze issue (I've also had an LCD freeze a few times, which I could clear by turning the camera off and then on) several months after its release. I hope that Leica regularly looks at this forum and gets cracking on a fix! It's frustrating to think that I have another M10P that works flawlessly 8,000 miles away.

This from Leica Mayfair:-

Thanks for getting in touch – sorry to hear you’re having issues with your new M10-P Safari.

Unfortunately, it seems there is a firmware issue with the M10-P, and this can cause the camera to freeze.

However, it’s mostly been professionals, using the camera to take lots of pictures in a short space of time, that have had this problem.

If you use the camera in a slower more measured fashion, there should be no problem.

However, it sounds like you’re doing that, so I’m at a loss to explain why your camera is freezing like this…

Possibly a way to avoid this is to take a few pictures, then switch the camera off once you’ve finished?

It might be that the ‘freezing’ problem occurs when the camera enters sleep mode, and isn’t ‘woken’ properly.

I know that Leica have a new Beta firmware that is currently being tested, but we don’t know exactly when this will be released

Hopefully, it will be in about two to three weeks’ time – assuming the firmware passes everyone’s tests.

Not ideal but good to know that Leica are onto it and that I'll be able to apply the solution myself in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

My M10P fronzened on me happened not while I was taking photos.  They happened while I was using its WAN feature to download photos from the camera to my iPad.  2.6.5.1 is the current version of my firmware as I installed it as soon as I got my camera.