What profile to create?

Ricard0

The user profiles will be different for each user. Set your camera to the settings that apply to your most common shooting situation and save those as your standard profile. Then do the same for the most common situations you will want to switch to quickly and name them accordingly. E.g.  long lens, low light, macro,action, etc. . That is all

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

The user profiles will be different for each user. Set your camera to the settings that apply to your most common shooting situation and save those as your standard profile. Then do the same for the most common situations you will want to switch to quickly and name them accordingly. E.g.  long lens, low light, macro,action, etc. . That is all

I understand the concept but am looking for a good starting point derived from those experienced with using this camera for awhile.  I've located a few very useful bits (such as your suggestion that I configure profiles based on situation / lens type etc.) but was hoping for more detailed examples.  I believe I saw something to that effect on an M thread.

I'm glad I found this forum - so far I've spent several hours perusing different articles, reviews and FAQs and have learned a lot.  So much more to learn, though!

Thanks!

I'm sure that you know exactly what settings work best for your normal shooting situation and subjects. Save those as "standard"

Then, starting off from your standard profile, modify the camera settings for other situations and save those under another profile, etc.

My settings wouldn't help you a bit, as I am not you as a photographer.

Actually the default profile is a pretty good starting point.

Personally I think of those "best use" type of prescriptions as a bunch of baloney. The only person who can determine the best settings for your photography is you -yourself.

The same with Lightroom for instance - there are excellent video tutorials on the Internet by Adobe and other experts, fantastic books by Scott Kelby, Martin Evening and others, yet insecure and/or inexperienced photographers are preyed upon by overpriced and useless "presets" "best use of camera xyz"  "workshop with professional photographer (anybody can call himself that)" and similar offerings.

On this forum we are happy <sometimes over-eager>  to offer advice and opinions in specific cases, but beware of self-appointed experts.

• Like 2

Indeed: The best advice with respect to settings I can offer is for you to use the camera and see what you change regularly when shooting. If you always change which color you want for peaking, for instance, or which button you want for adjusting EV compensation, or bringing up the self timer, make those a part of your 'standard' user profile. 

My user profiles are motivated by two things: the fact that I use adapted lenses most of the time and the way I like the basic operations of the camera to function with any lens. And sometimes, by what specific setup I need for a niche activity. So I have a couple of profiles for average shooting needs with different lenses and a couple of profiles tailored to unusual setups needed for doing copy work. When I finish a shooting session, I usually refit the camera with my 'most used' general purpose lens and set that user profile so the camera is ready for me to start with the next time I want to make photos. 

Unless you like the way I like to work a camera to a very high degree of fidelity, my specific settings are probably meaningless for you. I can list them out if you really want to know... 

Of course, seen another way: You can take the opportunity to experiment with different settings by working your way through the user manual and trying the different settings out. Once you see what things you find useful, or comfortable, save them into a profile that you use as your standard. Copy that to all the slots. Then, as you come to differentiate various shooting sessions that need different configurations, save those to slots in turn and name them appropriately. This way you learn the camera thoroughly and develop a set of user profiles that suit your uses specifically. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2018 at 8:30 AM, jaapv said:

When I save a profile it returns my 'favourites' menu to factory saved 'favourites'. I've tried re-saving favourites for each profile but they return to the factory settings as soon as I change to another profile. Any idea how I can solve this?

On 12/19/2018 at 2:44 PM, Ricard0 said:

I understand the concept but am looking for a good starting point derived from those experienced with using this camera for awhile.  I've located a few very useful bits (such as your suggestion that I configure profiles based on situation / lens type etc.) but was hoping for more detailed examples.  I believe I saw something to that effect on an M thread.

I'm glad I found this forum - so far I've spent several hours perusing different articles, reviews and FAQs and have learned a lot.  So much more to learn, though!

Thanks!

I've just set up three profiles:

1. Outdoors (spot focus, low ISO, autofocus with the 18mm pancake lens)
  2. Indoors (Spot focus, Auto ISO, manual focus)
  3. When I hand the camera over to someone else to take a photo (Multi focus, Auto focus, Auto ISO with min 2 x f stop of the lens)

With Jaap's help I've also managed to set the main menu items I might want to change 'on the go' into the favourites section of the menu.

Hope that helps.

PG.

6 minutes ago, Peter G said:

I've just set up three profiles:

1. Outdoors (spot focus, low ISO, autofocus with the 18mm pancake lens)
  2. Indoors (Spot focus, Auto ISO, manual focus)
  3. When I hand the camera over to someone else to take a photo (Multi focus, Auto focus, Auto ISO with min 2 x f stop of the lens)

With Jaap's help I've also managed to set the main menu items I might want to change 'on the go' into the favourites section of the menu.

Hope that helps.

PG.

I forgot to mention: 1. add outdoors white balance, 2. Tungsten white balance and 3. Auto white balance.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Peter G:

I forgot to mention: 1. add outdoors white balance, 2. Tungsten white balance and 3. Auto white balance.

Actually AWB works very well on the CL, I have never had a problem outside with the CL. I use tungsten when i use a 3200K bulb for photographing negatives to digitize them. Tungsten for indoor use is not appicable any more as most people use LED, CFL or other fluorscent bulbs. AWB works very well in those situations. I do have tungsten flood lamps, but I normally use a daylight LED panel instead.

• Like 1