Leica S006 GPS after China trip needs complete reset

HuntingSand

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I took my S006 to China recently, switched on the GPS for a few shots, and quickly got the message that "GPS is disabled for legal reasons". The handbook does refer to the PRC and to Hong Kong as no-go zones where GPS is concerned. The thing is, this message persists even after I've returned stateside. I was told that some other GPS enabled Leicas also suffered from this ailment after their return from China. I am trying the remedy recommended by knowledgeable folk as we speak: removing the battery for 24 hours, then do a menu-driven reset. We'll see how it goes...

vor 14 Minuten schrieb alan.y:

Is this a recent development? I used the S 007's GPS functionality throughout China, even in Tibet and Xinjiang, as recently as 6 months ago.

It was the first time that I traveled with the S in China (late Oct, early Nov), so I can't say. It might be a one-off and simply anecdotal, or a new development. Good for you to have had GPS functionality throughout your China tour.

• Like 1

So to establish a quick baseline:

1. My 24 hour battery removal scheme did not help in resetting the GPS module on my 006.
2. The 007, from the above remarks, appears to be different as it is described as working in China whereas the 006 gives up the ghost.
3. From what I've been hearing thru another channel, digital M cameras such as the 240 with the GPS chipped handgrip also lose the spatial recording functionality during/after a trip to China.

• 5 weeks later...