Luminar 3 vs CaptureOne 12

otto.f

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

Luminar software is really putting me off with the ads that show their main features sky replacement and face "optimization". What the hell is this? And the intensive use of the buzzwort AI is also irritating. I'd probably look at Exposure X4/X5 if I needed an alternative for Capture One.

The AI suffix is all over - it is a bit of a marketing hype i suppose. However, with Topaz and ON I must say that the new algorithms do deliver, albeit at the cost of eating computer performance. I haven't tried Luminar3 yet.

I’m afraid the use of “AI” to describe algorithms will be with us for a long time. The fact is that the results of computer learning to generate them produces algorithms which are opaque to humans so no more descriptive names can be used. The ugliness will only be resolved when a computer can be taught to explain the functioning of an artificial neural network in terms we can understand.

• Like 1

I don't see there is a problem with using "AI" where it helps.  Some editing tasks are just tedious and if the program is clever enough to tell what you want it to do, then so much the better. 

It's true some of the new programs, including Luminar, can produce garish effects and seem to relish doing it, but that is still under user control. 

For me, for very fine work when editing, I find CaptureOne produces the very best results, easily outperforming the Adobe products.  But do I have the time to do that to each image?  Not always.  It is then that the convenience and speed of AI assistance is really appreciated.

So I look forward with interest to what Luminar 4 will offer.  If development follows the same curve as the initial Lightroom releases, version 4 of Luminar should be truly stable and workable, with versions 5 and 6 achieving full maturity.

• 4 weeks later...

For Luminar 3 an update 3.1.4 is available meanwhile which enables Luminar to run under Catalina incl. the solved Photos suffix issue.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest that you read the Luminar support forums to get an idea as to how responsive they are. As far as I'm concerned they made numerous promises over the years and never lived up tp any of them. I quit upgrading at V3, and am now using Raw Power, a program by one of the original Aperture creators. It doesn't do as much as others but he's constantly developing it. And he doesn't make unfulfilled promises, so far.

As example of what I mentioned above, the Q2 was just added to the supported camera list when Luminar 4 was released, so that's about an 8 month turn around time. And with that support, here is what you get - https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006524580-Cameras-supported-by-Luminar-4 which appears to be the image from the Q2 without the software corrections applied. Now wouldn't it have been nice to know that ahead of time if you were buying Luminar 4 based upon it's supposed support for the Q2. So how much longer will it take for support?

Edited by wellfleet

I've been using L3 & L4 for the Q2. Luminar doesn't apply lens correction automatically. You have to do that as part of your development (relocated to the Canvas pane). After that it looks about the same as would see in LR or MacOS Photos. Can't tell from the comments if the poster had turned this on or not. 

The key with Skylum is for you to determine if the available release will work for your needs since any shortcomings you find may not end up getting addressed. And do not put any faith at all into the published roadmap. It is purely marketing. Also, be prepared for the UI to be reinvented with each major release. 

Edited by iRandom
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, iRandom said:

The key with Skylum is for you to determine if the available release will work for your needs since any shortcomings you find may not end up getting addressed. And do not put any faith at all into the published roadmap. It is purely marketing. Also, be prepared for the UI to be reinvented with each major release. 

+1