Luminar 3 vs CaptureOne 12

otto.f

2 hours ago, ianman said:

mmmm, well shortly after writing my previous post, the application crashed. I had selected the "delete" tool to remove some dust spots. Nothing happened and then it decided to quit this cruel world.

I have no idea what "Bridge" is!

Bridge is an organizer to quickly view your photo archives and is part of Adobe Suite which works slower than (my) Luminar3

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ianman said:

This is an astonishing comment. They shouldn't be releasing unusable or unfinished software.

It sounds like they are using paying customers as testers... or worse, deliberately releasing unfinished software. I would expect very few bugs even in new features, especially one so simple as a library... how difficult can it be!?

Hello, welcome to planet Earth, year 2019.

I work in IT and believe me, there no such thing as a software without bugs.

And FYI the new features are not "unusable". Need improvements? Oh yes. Unusable? No.

13 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

I work in IT and believe me, there no such thing as a software without bugs.

I have been developing software in one form or another since school (in the 1980's on an Apple II), so yes I know full well that bug free software is the holy grail. However where I work, we would never use users, paying or otherwise, as guinea pigs. We have pride in our work, I know this has become rare but there are still pockets of it in existence.

And FYI the new features are not "unusable". Need improvements? Oh yes. Unusable? No.

If the application crashes when I select a tool, it's unusable. Full stop (no pun intended).

Hello, welcome to planet Earth, year 2019.

As you missed it completely, this was precisely my point... It seems to have become the norm on planet Earth, year 2019 for companies seem to rush out under par, unstable, unusable products. Wake up!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As someone who was involved with the test of complex, critical systems I understand the difficulty of delivering bug-free computer programs.  In my experience one of the challenges is in how to adequately test the new release prior to delivery.  In my case the testers were all very experienced users of the system who thoroughly tested all functions.  Unfortunately once delivered the software was employed by much less experienced users who used it in ways the experienced users had not imagined.  Many bugs were then discovered.  In this case releasing a beta version to those users prior to formal release was not an option.  I believe developers who have a formal beta test process have a much higher chance of delivering programs which are fully usable (but not completely bug-free) on initial release.

• Thanks 1

It used to be said that there is one bug in every 10 lines of production COBOL code. I don’t know what the figure is for C like languages, probably much higher. 

I had a program which seemed to work but on closer inspection it was incorrect. I eventually fixed seven bugs in one single line.

In the science museum in London was a display of some 19th century tech. The test message used was something like “Greetings Universe”.

58 minutes ago, Exodies said:

It used to be said that there is one bug in every 10 lines of production COBOL code. I don’t know what the figure is for C like languages, probably much higher.

I had this illustration saved for a laugh. Errors in C.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Exodies said:

I had a program which seemed to work but on closer inspection it was incorrect. I eventually fixed seven bugs in one single line.

That must be some sort of record 🙂 Did you write the original line? 

But there is big difference in bugs that cause incorrect results and bugs that cause software freezing and crashing. They are usually caused by poor error handling.

Regarding what Luke was saying, I have found that it's usually very easy to get a basic version of any software working... then comes the difficult part of dreaming up all the scenarios that users may create... that of course is where defensive programming comes in. As Luke mentioned Having a good selection of testers is very important, you need people who are not too advanced and at the same time can fill in a bug report that says a bit more than "it doesn't work".

PS: Sorry to all for going off-topic... I'll keep quiet on this subject now.

Edited by ianman

5 hours ago, ianman said:

That must be some sort of record 🙂 Did you write the original line?

Yes, unfortunately. It was a complicated statistical calculation in a very cunning program which worked out the probability of a disk filling up before the technicians went off shift. As you can imagine, not easy to tell if the answer is right or wrong.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:51 PM, ianman said:

I have been developing software in one form or another since school (in the 1980's on an Apple II), so yes I know full well that bug free software is the holy grail. However where I work, we would never use users, paying or otherwise, as guinea pigs. We have pride in our work, I know this has become rare but there are still pockets of it in existence.

If the application crashes when I select a tool, it's unusable. Full stop (no pun intended).

As you missed it completely, this was precisely my point... It seems to have become the norm on planet Earth, year 2019 for companies seem to rush out under par, unstable, unusable products. Wake up!!

Unfortunately, releasing untested software or with known issues is becoming more and more the norm, just look at last October's Microsoft update fiasco. The whole videogame sector is plagued by this issue, too. 

I never buy or even use first releases, I always wait for a few upgrades. That goes for hardware too, always wait for first revision.

• 1 month later...

I've been using Luminar since November of 2018 and went through the upgrade to Luminar 3.  Its been a blast to use Luminar to edit my photography, from the Luminar Looks (I use these as starting points for my editing) to the advanced controls that are easy to use, Luminar 3 is a program that photographers can adjust or customize to their photography skill level and editing preferences.  Luminar 3 is an editing program that is geared towards all level of photographers.    

Skylum offers webinars and educational information on learning Luminar 3, they also have a YouTube channel where you can find additional video tutorial information on ways to learn and enhance your photography using Luminar 3 and other Skylum software.

While I haven't had the issues/bugs some comments have been talking about, I have had questions that I needed answers on.  The support team at Skylum are more than happy to answer these questions and the turn around time on the answers were great!  

• Like 1

Yes, I’m still positive too after several months and I didn’t need any support either. I see some differences with C1 and thus far I will not leave C1, but I probably won’t upgrade anymore. Luminar 3 is also a sufficient substitute for what I did with PS, and what C1 does not deliver. Because I also bought ImagePrint, I do not need Adobe anymore at all (I used to print from PS, but not without irritations)

One important question:  Most (all?) of these offer a migration path from Lightroom, supposed to retain at least the tags of images.  That kind of saved my a** when moving from LR to C1.  Now, mainly due to those frequent and expensive C1 updates (bought 10, paid for 10 to 11, now balking at paying for 11 to 12, all within 18 months), I´m contemplating Luminar instead, although I´m quite content with C1 as such.

So: Is there any tag conserving migration path from C1 to Luminar?  Their web site says nothing about one, just from LR. Would XMP sidecars work?  As I said, I can face losing most of the edits, but losing all tags would be a show stopper.

(P.S. By "tags" I mean "Keywords", of course...🙄).

Edited by elgenper

On 12/22/2018 at 12:58 PM, DaveNC said:

I'm now a Luminar 3 exclusive user and quite happy.  I purchased the 2018 version a couple of months ago and continued to use Bridge for file management and parsing through initial images.  Seems Adobe doesn't; eliminate use of Bridge after quitting their monthly club membership.  Now, I am getting used to Luminar 3 library capability.  Basic, but works.  I am satisfied with Luminar and their Aurora HDR application.  I don't use Aurora often, but it works easily.  Now I would appreciate them adding a panorama capability.

My jump from Lightroom started out scary.  There isn't any conversion from LR edits to Luminar.  I finally just went back to my RAW files and quickly and easily reworked them from scratch in Luminar.  Well, only the 100 or so that I consider true keepers at this point.

Luminar it is for me...

This is me. I'm still in the early version in my jump but I'm working on it. I actually find myself loving Aurora more and more. I am impressed with the results I'm getting. 

18 hours ago, pamelaannberry said:

This is me. I'm still in the early version in my jump but I'm working on it. I actually find myself loving Aurora more and more. I am impressed with the results I'm getting. 

This was the same for me.  I stopped doing HDR Photography in 2013/2014 and saw no reason to continue it.  When I purchased Luminar I saw there Aurora HDR program and it looked interesting to try.  I am glad I did!  It really brings the fun back into HDR photography.  

A great user interface, presets, and tools, Aurora HDR contains everything one will need to create high quality HDR Images.  Skylum teamed up with Trey Ratcliff to create the program and the team offers great video tutorials both on the Skylum website and YouTube channel to help navigate you through the program and help you enhance your photography skills.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the review Govind.  I find Luminar improving with every release, even point releases.  The latest version is faster and more stable than the 3.0 version I installed 6 months ago.  At this rate it will soon be ready for prime time with most photographers.  Functionally it delivers everything one might use LR for, and it adds some things of its own such as layers, as well as inventive new ways of working.

Do you know of any Luminar workflow tutorials that would be helpful?

Edited by rob_w