Can someone talk me out of buying a D-Lux 7 ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With experience of both Lumix and Leica, I think your sweeping judgement is both inaccurate and unfair. There is one area where Leica scores an advantage  for me and that is in Menu design. Many Leica users agree and generally prefer the simpler structure and design by Leica.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wda said:

[...] There is one area where Leica scores an advantage  for me and that is in Menu design. Many Leica users agree and generally prefer the simpler structure and design by Leica.

Leica and Pana menus are essentially the same as i understand it. My experience with current cameras is limited to comparing raw files though.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:36 AM, nicci78 said:

Real Lumix/Fake Leica build quality is poor. EVF is sequential, which is really bad.

When I bought my D (109) one of the things that appealed to me was the build quality. Not plasticky at all, but rather very solid with a magnesium chassis. My impression is that the D Lux 7 shares the same chassis. I've used the camera heavily for over three years and had zero problems. I find the EVF quite satisfactory, even though my primary system is the M, which has a fabulous viewfinder. Because I'm so happy with my D (109) I'm not motivated to jump to the D Lux 7, but if it should break down I'd have no hesitation to buy one. I think they're great little cameras with image quality at the top of their class.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
55 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Don't buy the D-Lux 7.  It has a 17.3x13mm sensor with a 2x crop factor.

Buy the Q2 instead.  It has a 24x36mm sensor.  And a 28mm f/1.7 Summilux lens.

There is a slight price difference - and there is nothing wrong with the D-Lux in its class.

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

Don't buy the D-Lux 7.  It has a 17.3x13mm sensor with a 2x crop factor.

Buy the Q2 instead.  It has a 24x36mm sensor.  And a 28mm f/1.7 Summilux lens.

The DL7 has a true f/1.7-2.8 zoom lens covering the 24-75mm equiv. FoV range which is very good indeed. I have the same on my modest Pana Lx100 and i would not trade it for a Q2. Different beasts for different purposes. BTW re crop factors do you know how large is the Q2's sensor at 75mm? 6.5MP vs 17MP for the DL7 ;).

39 minutes ago, lct said:

The DL7 has a true f/1.7-2.8 zoom lens covering the 24-75mm equiv. FoV range which is very good indeed. I have the same on my modest Pana Lx100 and i would not trade it for a Q2. Different beasts for different purposes. BTW re crop factors do you know how large is the Q2's sensor at 75mm? 6.5MP vs 17MP for the DL7 ;).

True.  The two cameras have big differences for different uses. 

And as @jaapv observes, there is a big price difference.

Regarding the Q2 and the digital crop modes, I don't use them.  My approach is to zoom with my feet, fill my frame with my subject and use every last one of those 47.3 megapixels as much as I possibly can.

Edited by Herr Barnack

55 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

True.  The two cameras have big differences for different uses. 

And as @jaapv observes, there is a big price difference.

Regarding the Q2 and the digital crop modes, I don't use them.  My approach is to zoom with my feet, fill my frame with my subject and use every last one of those 47.3 megapixels as much as I possibly can.

Fair enough but you're using your Q2 as a 28mm only camera this way, which is something a DL7 user would not buy his camera for i guess. Horses for courses anyway :cool:.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

If someone wants a fixed lens set-up....I would suggest to buy a Ricoh.....  It simply is as good as stated...Either the GR111 or a good used GR11. 

But like Ict stated.....most Lux users want that zoom ability which is something the Ricoh cannot do, nor can the Q with a 28mm. The only thing that turns me off about the d-lux are the lack of batteries  as I read in a previous posting. But I am assuming that they are not talking about the Wasabi and they are always out there and are good enough. But the Leica brand itself might be difficult to find.  

13 minutes ago, lmans said:

[...] The only thing that turns me off about the d-lux are the lack of batteries  as I read in a previous posting. But I am assuming that they are not talking about the Wasabi and they are always out there and are good enough. But the Leica brand itself might be difficult to find.  

Panasonic batteries should work i guess but i have no experience with the D-Lux 7. 

On 8/31/2021 at 4:25 PM, lct said:

Panasonic batteries should work i guess but i have no experience with the D-Lux 7. 

I do not own a D-Lux7 but a C-Lux. The TZ200 is the Panasonic version of the C-Lux. The batteries are identical (voltage and mAh). The only difference is the branding. Leica vs Panasonic and a difference in price.

I suppose this also applies to the D-Lux vs Pananasonic LX-100 batteries.

Edited by rjans

• 3 months later...