FeralCoton

CL manual mode does not keep shutter setting

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an odd problem. I have my CL in manual mode and i set the shutter speed and aperture. when i see the image in live view, the camera display displays a different shutter speed than what i set with the dial. if i take the photo it takes it with the speed the camera chose, NOT the one i chose, which is still set on the top display. I have ISO fixed.

What gives?  why isn't manual just manual?

Yes. For example, I have it set to f2 1/30. When I half press the shutter it bumps it to 1/90. It doesn’t change the aperture, just the shutter. When I look back at the top display, it is still set to 1/30. The shot meta data records what the camera says it is using. It is definitely in M mode. No exposure compensation. 

vor 9 Minuten schrieb FeralCoton:

Yes. For example, I have it set to f2 1/30. When I half press the shutter it bumps it to 1/90. It doesn’t change the aperture, just the shutter. When I look back at the top display, it is still set to 1/30. The shot meta data records what the camera says it is using. It is definitely in M mode. No exposure compensation. 

Did you set a minimum shutter speed in the menu based on focal length - 1/3f for example?

Without doing anything more investigative, I cannot repeat this problem in M mode and fixed ISO. I tried both excessively short and long shutter speeds. The lens was the 11-23 zoom at widest aperture. What lens did you use? Does it happen with other lenses? Other apertures? Was your set exposure 'correct' or was the one it chose correct? Have you tried other combinations (including deliberate over and under exposure) to see if you can force the error or stop it happening?

Edited by LocalHero1953

14 hours ago, FeralCoton said:

I have an odd problem. I have my CL in manual mode and i set the shutter speed and aperture. when i see the image in live view, the camera display displays a different shutter speed than what i set with the dial. if i take the photo it takes it with the speed the camera chose, NOT the one i chose, which is still set on the top display. I have ISO fixed.

What gives?  why isn't manual just manual?

9 hours ago, FeralCoton said:

What lens is fitted to the camera?

Is the camera set to AutoISO or to a specific, fixed ISO setting? 

The only time I've seen the CL change a shutter speed setting in manual mode is when I set up the camera and then connect it to Leica FOTOs using WiFi control. (For some reason, when I do this, I always have to turn off the Auto for the shutter speed and reset it to the manual value I wanted. It then holds my setting properly until I disconnect and reconnect the camera. It's a bug, and I've reported it.) 

Edited by ramarren

I can’t duplicate this with my camera. In M exposure compensation will only preview the effect not apply anything, assuming manual ISO. I would recheck everything. Sometimes we are sure of a setting but find we missed it. I would review your controls customisation as well.

the values for shutter speed and aperture stay as set, which is what should happen in M as you know. In my camera as set up in M,  the left wheel controls shutter speed and the right controls aperture. Is it possible the left wheel is being bumped when you reach for the release?

let us know if you solve this one? It’s puzzling.