34 Images on a 64gb card

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was shooting today at a small event and then on a walk. I after 34 images the camera switched to play, all 34 images showing, and was showing no more space on card message. The card is a 64gb SanDisk Extreme Ultra. When I selected the images on File Explorer it showed 1.4 gb used which is about what I'd expect. I formatted the card in the camera from the menu. Any ideas on this, am I missing some setting on the camera, or if this card misbehaves again should I return it?

I had the same sort of experience with a 32gb SanDisk recently. I took about 40 images on it and then got a message to say the card was full. Downloaded the images without problem and then scrapped the card. I like to use 16 or at the maximum 32gb cards so if anything does go wrong I've got less images on them.

• Like 1

All my cards are 16 GB and for each I can get 339 raw files. I never fill them out and most I shoot in one day rarely reach 200.

Cards are quite cheap nowadays and I wonder why anyone would make fake ones. But unfortunately, it seems fake cards are in the market and we should be aware of it.

• Thanks 1

I format all my SD cards with SD Card Formatter before I start using them. I've never had any problems with cards at all; that said, I always buy my cards from reliable vendors so I have never gotten any fakes. 

Nowadays, I use primarily SanDisk Extreme Pro 64G SDHC and Lexar 1000x Professional 128G cards. The Lexar currently in my CL has over 2000 raw exposures (and a few short movie captures), and the CL still lists room for 750+ exposures available. (Yes, all the exposures have been multiply backed up already... :) )

Thank you pico. But do you really think that a „normal“ consumer needs this? I am just a simple consumer and never ever had any need for such a special formatting tool.

What I wanted to say above is that the thread opener should just return his card and get a new one. Rather that looking for a formatting tool.

7 minutes ago, Alex U. said:

Thank you pico. But do you really think that a „normal“ consumer needs this? I am just a simple consumer and never ever had any need for such a special formatting tool.

What I wanted to say above is that the thread opener should just return his card and get a new one. Rather that looking for a formatting tool.

The fact that you are a user of fairly high end digital cameras immediately pulls you far away from the average "simple consumer". :) The simple consumer today uses a smartphone to make their photographs (and many do very very well with just that!). 

No one desperately "needs" the SD card formatter, most cameras do a decent if not brilliant job of formatting storage cards,  but if you're a photographer willing to put thousands of dollars into the best photographic tools, you should also be willing to use the best software tools to prepare your storage media and learn how to use good image processing tools to get the most out of the equipment you've purchased. It's more a matter of caring and attending to details rather than need. Otherwise, you might just have to accept that some cards are not going to work as well as they otherwise could. 

I don't find using the SD Card Formatter much of a burden. I need it for my use because I have an M-D body, which has no in-camera formatting facility. I format all my cards with the app when I buy them, and only rarely re-format them. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Alex U. said:

The usual consumer probably can do without it. The software probably exists to show that SD design perform properly when manufacturing and coding follow the standard.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who never does anything other than the expedient in-camera format. My bet is that they fare well.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if i am exactly a "normal consumer" given that i take photos for my job from time to time but i discovered that some in-camera formatting processes can be more destructive than others on pic files so i use exclusively SD Card Formatter (previously SD Formatter) to format my cards since then. Takes a couple seconds to use BTW.

2 hours ago, Alex U. said:

Would you reveal where you bought your card?

Yes, I bought the card with the camera from B&H, reputable dealer, but it possibly a defective card, formated again and will give it a second chance, if the same thing happens give B&H a call. One review mentioned using a 64gb card. I am only using the DNG files, have this thing about starting with jpegs. 

Thanks

Tom

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Yes, I bought the card with the camera from B&H, reputable dealer, but it possibly a defective card, formated again and will give it a second chance, if the same thing happens give B&H a call. One review mentioned using a 64gb card. I am only using the DNG files, have this thing about starting with jpegs. 

Thanks

Tom

Another thing to try: mount the card on your computer and try to copy files from your computer to the card, to see how many images you can store on it via a computer connection.

3 hours ago, DAU said:

Deleting the files from the card using the computer can have this effect or one much like it, if you don't empty the trash can while the card is still in the computer.

That notion requires a little more study. When you have the SD card in your computer and delete a file from the card, the file remains on the card but is placed into a folder on the card named .trashes.

5 hours ago, pico said:

The usual consumer probably can do without it. The software probably exists to show that SD design perform properly when manufacturing and coding follow the standard.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who never does anything other than the expedient in-camera format. My bet is that they fare well.

No issues formatting only in-camera since transitioning to digital in 2009.

BTW, SD cards capped at 34 pics would seem ideal for M-D or M10-D owners seeking the ultimate film-like experience  :)

Jeff

• Haha 4

Just another thing about cards: Many years I DELETED the pics from the card normally by using the camera menu position. Then I read some articles that this is completely wrong; one has to format the card rather than deleting its content (article was from engineers from card producers who should know). Since then I format my cards: To my favourite menu I added the formatting item where I had the delete position before. I just think that I do the right thing without really understanding why . . .