I know I have asked this before...But...

jimleicam3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, wattsy said:

I think the secret of solving the bag problem is to get over the idea that you always have to carry around your Leica. I doubt that many truly great photos – let alone Pulitzer prize winning ones – have ever been taken by people going about their daily business. In the unlikely event of there being something incredible that has to be photographed, a modern iPhone will do the job well enough.

You might be right and my wife would certainly agree with you. But no way am I going to swap an iPhone camera experience for my M10. So for me the search for the right business + camera bag continues. It’s out there somewhere!  Or as others have suggested maybe I’m just a few inserts away from rediscovering a bag I might already have. 

Hey, if money is really no object here....

Get a Goyard Ambassade (MM/medium size) and get a billingham insert (they fit perfectly).

I know, I know, they cost $3k and scream "please rob me"... but you have to admit they are gorgeous and iconic and surprisingly durable.

Just an (very expensive) alternative to think about

On 12/17/2018 at 7:29 AM, petermullett said:

I can't believe that I'm joining in on a "which bag" topic, but here goes..........Looking through this thread at the really absurd amounts of money some will pay for a camera bag one thing stands out and that's this: Most of the ones mentioned and offered as suggestions are really beautiful bags , but if I was in the game of "grab it and run like hell" these are the kinds of bags that say "snatch me, there's something even more expensive and fence-able inside". There's two recent posts on the M10 forum that confirm that risk.

Ok, I'm not immune to the everlasting quest for the perfect bag, which doesn't exist of course. Just the last week having bought a Peak Design 5lt Sling that I talked myself into thinking would be the perfect M10/M10-D day-bag, I found out very quickly that it's just not. At least not for me anyway despite being made extremely well made. As always the battered and stained Domke's seem to sigh and say " I told you so" when I pick one up, throw a camera in and leave the new ones behind as I wonder how to put them into the "Ebay, Lightly Used, For Sale" pile. 

A beautifully crafted, designer fine leather bag to hold your lovely Leica stuff could well lead to the swift loss of both. Go shabby, go Domke preferably well used or second hand, it works.

The OP is asking for a nicer bag that can double as a briefcase. I think the OP is smart enough not to carry a Gucci bag through the hood with his Leica gear at 1AM  trying to get that photo of gang bangers. 

1 hour ago, LBJ2 said:

You might be right and my wife would certainly agree with you. But no way am I going to swap an iPhone camera experience for my M10. So for me the search for the right business + camera bag continues. It’s out there somewhere!  Or as others have suggested maybe I’m just a few inserts away from rediscovering a bag I might already have. 

If you want, email Harry Benz and ask about his custom camera bag/briefcase using Hermes leather that he recently made. It was designed specifically with business/photography in mind and the Billingham insert fits perfectly in the bag. It is truly beautiful and one of a kind. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2018 at 10:04 AM, jimleicam3 said:

Please let me paint a picture.. Sixty two year old doctor..still working and loving what he does...On his way to work...perhaps has some medical charts, perhaps some leftovers from the night before, but always his current M-10 with the lens Du Jour.  Just in case that Pulitzer Prize winning photo is just around the next bend.  I want and need that brief case!!  I am 62!!  Not looking for a backpack, not looking for the messenger bag that is made of some material that had it been on the Titanic, they could have patched the hole!  And guess what?  Not to say that money is no object, but I have been working like crazy for decades!  I am willing to pay for that perfect case.  What is that Case??

Charts, lunch, and camera??  Please let it match my tan pants and blue shirt!!

Cheers and Happy holidays!!

I think the Barbershop bags would fit the bill especially the convertible bag undercut which can be used as a briefcase or on the back. It can hold all your paper and your M with ease and looks nice and is available in lots of leather colours as well as cloth versions.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

More fish analogies. 😂🤪😁 this thread is turning out to be pretty funny! I tried the laptop capable Ona Brixton yesterday. Damn heavy bag all by itself and there is IMO some oddly placed one top handle off to one side ?  

In keeping with the theme of the thread: business + camera, next up for me is to see what USA brand Tumi bags might offer. I’ve carried my Tumi leather Alpha slim multiple times across four continents with multiple generations of laptop models which also seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer every couple of years and the bag still looks great.  On the other hand, a doctor’s type bag sounds interesting too.  

For your viewing pleasure, I present the TUMI -  big enough to include a medium sized insert, hold a 15-inch laptop, diary, Ipad, personal toiletries, and all the associated junk one can imagine with room left over. It is probably better looking and uses better leather than some of the cheap saddle leather 'bags' presented in this thread - I don't understand fishing bags or Saddle bag looks - but that is just me I guess. A very versatile bag and easy to slip over a roller suitcase as well - tick two boxes for carry on luggage only when travelling. An M10 and a couple of lenses is an easy fit - but carrying this all day over the shoulder isn't my first choice=- tbh I prefer walking around with a camera in hand and a spare lens in a pocket - the beauty of an M system or similar.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, howiebrou said:

I think the Barbershop bags would fit the bill especially the convertible bag undercut which can be used as a briefcase or on the back. It can hold all your paper and your M with ease and looks nice and is available in lots of leather colours as well as cloth versions.

Thanks Howiebrou for the heads up on this European manufacturers range and I’m seriously considering the smaller version for my M10 +lens + Additional lens.   Made in Italy with Italian leather.   Very unpretentious.  Sensible price.  Online pre-decision chat.

Edited by lucerne
Respect

8 hours ago, PeterGA said:

For your viewing pleasure, I present the TUMI -  big enough to include a medium sized insert, hold a 15-inch laptop, diary, Ipad, personal toiletries, and all the associated junk one can imagine with room left over. It is probably better looking and uses better leather than some of the cheap saddle leather 'bags' presented in this thread - I don't understand fishing bags or Saddle bag looks - but that is just me I guess. A very versatile bag and easy to slip over a roller suitcase as well - tick two boxes for carry on luggage only when travelling. An M10 and a couple of lenses is an easy fit - but carrying this all day over the shoulder isn't my first choice=- tbh I prefer walking around with a camera in hand and a spare lens in a pocket - the beauty of an M system or similar.

I tried and considered this bag in an Airport shop. It's very large and will indeed encourage taking along the kitchen sink. Agree, well made and will meet the business/camera needs as discussed.

3 hours ago, lucerne said:

Thanks Howiebrou for the heads up on this European manufacturers range and I’m seriously considering the smaller version for my M10 +lens + Additional lens.   Made in Italy with Italian leather.   Very unpretentious.  Sensible price.  Online pre-decision chat.

Let me know if you get one. I don't have one but would appreciate feedback as to how good they are. They do look low key and user friendly.

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2018 at 4:43 PM, LBJ2 said:

More fish analogies. 😂🤪😁 this thread is turning out to be pretty funny! I tried the laptop capable Ona Brixton yesterday. Damn heavy bag all by itself and there is IMO some oddly placed one top handle off to one side ?  

Yeah, isn’t that weird? I gave the bag in no time after trying to work with that handle. It’s like you’re supposed to drag the bag around with you, not carry it. 

compagnon "the messenger" Generation 2 Camera Bag

Getting closer?

1. Reasonable cost. ( Just because I shoot Leica doesn't mean I will overpay for everything else) 

2. Bull Leather ( responsibly sourced) 

3. Top handle ( but from the top backside side for me ok as I can grab it and go)

4. Accomodates 15" laptop. Smaller bag sizes too

5. Thoughtful design 

6. Maybe a tad on the casusal side ?

Edited by LBJ2

On 12/18/2018 at 1:58 AM, wattsy said:

I think the secret of solving the bag problem is to get over the idea that you always have to carry around your Leica. I doubt that many truly great photos – let alone Pulitzer prize winning ones – have ever been taken by people going about their daily business. In the unlikely event of there being something incredible that has to be photographed, a modern iPhone will do the job well enough.

Cartier Bresson took amazing photos even while walking with friends to restaurants or other places.  He was so fast in pulling out the camera, getting the shot, then putting the camera away that his friends did not even know that he took a photo.  Truly incredible.

• Like 1

Tuma Alpha 2 Organizer Brief, Leather, $505.00. 

Maybe the bag for business first + camera and 1+2 lenses scenario. Accomodates MBP 15" 2018, Ipad Pro, mobile phone, external HD, a few cables, a few folders and stuff: pens, cards, keyes etc. With this bag, I can now include M10 and 1 or 2 M lenses safely and without advertising I carrying camera gear.

Bag includes premium leather, top handles, strap and too many easy access compartments to count. Might be a bit wider than I am used too, but not too large it will become uncomfortable for travel. I always try to keep my carry to essentials anyway. Now I can throw in the M10 kit too. * Camera and sperate lens or two slips right into the middle insert with magnetic clasp for quick access when needed. 

Note: I would not use this bag as a camera bag (I've other bags that prioritize camera gear) 

https://www.tumi.com/p/organizer-leather-brief-096132D2/

Edited by LBJ2

Since I don’t have the misfortune of losing precious time shooting to being a doctor, lawyer or hedge fund manager, I simply either carry the M and a 35mm lens bandoleer style on my person or paired with a second M in one of two small Artisan and Artist bags with a spare lens and a half dozen rolls of film. 

Those bags are about as fancy as it gets though, I have some rather ratty ones I use for work abroad.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Reciprocity:

Since I don’t have the misfortune of losing precious time shooting to being a doctor, lawyer or hedge fund manager, I simply either carry the M and a 35mm lens bandoleer style on my person or paired with a second M in one of two small Artisan and Artist bags with a spare lens and a half dozen rolls of film. 

Those bags are about as fancy as it gets though, I have some rather ratty ones I use for work abroad.

I wonder if there is any  difference between Artisan and other luxury bags.

Congratulations that you can take more time for photography and need to spend less time for work compared to others.

Edited by tom0511