Leica T or TL?

redkea

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are many good buys to be had at present with used T's from Leica dealers in both the US and UK (USD650 and GBP450).  I also have an option to buy a NIB TL, from a dealer,  for a premium over the used T of around USD 500. Does anyone have experience of owning both the TL and the T and if so is it worthwhile considering the premium for the operating differences?  I plan to initially use only my existing M lenses; so will be factoring in an adapter.

Peter

I have both the T and TL2.  24 mp vs. 16mp. Better organized menu.  No real difference in IQ that noticeable on a computer screen.  $500 usd for a preowned T vs. $1300 or so for a preowned TL2.  With the many software upgrades on the T it ismuch like the TL2 is use now. Particularly, the slowness of AF is greatly improved, but neither T is still  like the CL's speed.  

Depending on  a lot of your other criteria,  what you might be able to do with the money savings?  That might be the way to make your decision.  Do you need extra mp?  If not, I'd stay with the T, and there'd be no financial downside loss should you decide to sell the T, assuming you buy it "right".  Fun decision. :)

Rob

• Like 1

It boils down to what use do you plan for the final images?

Web sharing? T

Computer viewing? T

Small prints? T

Prints larger than 11x19? TL2

I don't think I have ever read someone state that one or the other takes "better" pictures.

Resolution differences usually only show up in large sizes of prints when people are critiquing the prints from inches away instead of normal viewing distances.

I have seen NEW T bodies on eBay for under $800USD and used for under $500

vor 6 Stunden schrieb ropo54:

I have both the T and TL2.  24 mp vs. 16mp.

Are the 16 mpx not better for use in lowlight / long teletubes / naturephotographie, than the 24 mpx with it´s smaller sensor pitch. What did you found out, please?

Edited by greybear

vor 2 Minuten schrieb ropo54:

I would think not, but could not give you a meaningful response; I have not differentiated, nor made any comparisons.  Rob

... it´s because some people say that, if 16 mpx are on the same APS-C sensor, as 24 mpx, each pitch could take more light !?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I profess ignorance!  I would think that 24mp would have the capacity to gather more light than 16mp, but I suspect any difference is likely meaningless at the end of the day.  (Of course, Sony had its super low light camera line and they had fewer pixels, so perhaps in theory that you are correct).

• Like 1

The T and TL share the same sensor. IMHO it’s not worth the cost difference.  They are virtually the same camera. 

A TL2 would be a different story.

I think the OP is asking about T vs TL

I would get the T over a TL and save the spare cash towards another lens. 

Edited by Guest

Would it be correct to assume there is no hardware difference between the Leica T and the Leica TL?

Except for 16-32 GB internal memory?

Would it then be correct if I would assume that when both T and TL have their latest  (1.55 or 2.4 version) firmware, AF would work equally fast (or slow)

Edited by Naampje

Thanks so much, Ropo. So you had a chance to compare? I have the TL now and I am loving it, I think it's build is fantastic, it's controls brilliant and photo quality fantastic. AF is still up for improvement. The only thing I find lacking.

Thinking about buying a T as a present. Might find one a bit more affordable compared to the TL.

54 minutes ago, Naampje said:

Thanks so much, Ropo. So you had a chance to compare? I have the TL now and I am loving it, I think it's build is fantastic, it's controls brilliant and photo quality fantastic. AF is still up for improvement. The only thing I find lacking.

Thinking about buying a T as a present. Might find one a bit more affordable compared to the TL.

Let  me clarify: I own a T and a TL2, and find no major difference in the speed of AF between them with the respective softwares being current. I'd assume that would apply to the TL, as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Naampje said:

Would it be correct to assume there is no hardware difference between the Leica T and the Leica TL?

Except for 16-32 GB internal memory?

Would it then be correct if I would assume that when both T and TL have their latest  (1.55 or 2.4 version) firmware, AF would work equally fast (or slow)

T and TL are exactly the same cameras with 16gb. Leica had to add “L”  to T because of a copyright T issue.

Only TL2 has a different sensor with 32 gb; the same as in CL.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2018 at 2:36 PM, DGP said:

The T and TL share the same sensor. IMHO it’s not worth the cost difference.  They are virtually the same camera. 

A TL2 would be a different story.

I think the OP is asking about T vs TL

I would get the T over a TL and save the spare cash towards another lens. 

Thanks for all the feedback  looks as though I should look for a well priced used T.  Money saved for an adapter or lens!

• Like 2

Today I went to the Leica store in Amsterdam, to try out the M adapter. Basically I bought the TL to be able to shoot in very little light inside. My other camera being a M8, a whole new world has opened with ISO possibilities like this.  One day I'll upgrade to a M with higher ISO's (not anytime soon, I would probably have to sell one of the children)

I thought it was a bit of a strange and counter intuitive thing to have to turn the wheel on the TL to get magnification before manual focusing, I hoped they would have come up with a way the sensor would recognize the image changing when the focussing ring is being turned resulting in the magnification.

So before someone at Leica discovers a way to program a trick like this ©️, I'll have to make do I guess.

Then tonight I discovered  a neat little thing which is flicking your thumb to the right, it also brings up magnification! I like it! I guess with manual focussing it is just more tactile, my thumb is there anyway.

You all probably read manuals, I don't...sorry. Took me only 3 days do...

What I didn't like of using the M adapter was the frozen image after release. I guess I'm not really jumping up and down about the M thing on this.... I'll guess I'll buy the adapter and see how I get used to it.

Edited by Naampje

different comparison, I've a T and a CL.......love them both but the T high iso performance is much worse than the CL.  I limit the T to about 800 max iso and to be honest , at 200, results are VERY VERY similar to the CL.      bear in mind, manual lenses won't be as easy on a T as it doesn't use focus peaking

On 12/18/2018 at 8:38 PM, Naampje said:

Today I went to the Leica store in Amsterdam, to try out the M adapter. Basically I bought the TL to be able to shoot in very little light inside. My other camera being a M8, a whole new world has opened with ISO possibilities like this.  One day I'll upgrade to a M with higher ISO's (not anytime soon, I would probably have to sell one of the children)

I thought it was a bit of a strange and counter intuitive thing to have to turn the wheel on the TL to get magnification before manual focusing, I hoped they would have come up with a way the sensor would recognize the image changing when the focussing ring is being turned resulting in the magnification.

So before someone at Leica discovers a way to program a trick like this ©️, I'll have to make do I guess.

Then tonight I discovered  a neat little thing which is flicking your thumb to the right, it also brings up magnification! I like it! I guess with manual focussing it is just more tactile, my thumb is there anyway.

You all probably read manuals, I don't...sorry. Took me only 3 days do...

What I didn't like of using the M adapter was the frozen image after release. I guess I'm not really jumping up and down about the M thing on this.... I'll guess I'll buy the adapter and see how I get used to it.

Well, you need a more modern EVF to reduce the EVF freeze. On the CL it is not intrusive at all.

BTW., on the M240and M10 you need to flick the thumb wheel as well to change magnification from 1x (i.e. off), 5x, 10x. The only thing the automatic magnification does is to make the thumb wheel setting "sticky", on non-M cameras the effect is to default to off.