Simple CL and LR question

Le Chef

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Le Chef:

I'm picking up my CL with the 18-56mm and 23mm next week. I'm currently using LR 5.5 which has worked fine so far with the little DL-109. I'm assuming that I'm going to have to take out a subscription to LR Classic for the CL/lenses. 

Is that correct?

Please consider C1 instead of LR. One of today´s Leica advice.

The correct camera calbration profile (CCP) for the Leica CL is included with Lightroom 6.14 if you want to stick with the perpetual license version of Lightroom. That's what I use. 

Lightroom 6.14 is the final, last ever perpetual license version of Lightroom as well. Anyone looking to use LR without going to CC for a long as possible should move to it. 

Get it from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

(I personally have no interest whatever in using C1. When I can no longer use LR, I'll move to other tools. I'm already testing other image processing software choices because I know that LR 6.14 will not work properly on the next major upgrade of macOS past Mojave.)

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Le Chef said:

I'm picking up my CL with the 18-56mm and 23mm next week. I'm currently using LR 5.5 which has worked fine so far with the little DL-109. I'm assuming that I'm going to have to take out a subscription to LR Classic for the CL/lenses. 

Is that correct?

Plenty of other programs around, some of them arguably as good or better and all of them cheaper.

2 hours ago, ramarren said:

The correct camera calbration profile (CCP) for the Leica CL is included with Lightroom 6.14 if you want to stick with the perpetual license version of Lightroom. That's what I use. 

Lightroom 6.14 is the final, last ever perpetual license version of Lightroom as well. Anyone looking to use LR without going to CC for a long as possible should move to it. 

Get it from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

(I personally have no interest whatever in using C1. When I can no longer use LR, I'll move to other tools. I'm already testing other image processing software choices because I know that LR 6.14 will not work properly on the next major upgrade of macOS past Mojave.)

Thank you for answering the question I asked. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've recently ditched LR C.C and moved to Affinity Photo. Whilst it doesn't have the cataloguing and slideshow features of LR, the editing functionality is in some ways better than both LR and PS. Also, it's a one-off payment which at less than £50 seems good value.

Affinity Photo is one of the software packages I'm evaluating and learning. It does an excellent job of raw conversion with all my files so far and exports very nice finished work. I haven't tested it with respect to printing yet. The lack of any kind of image management is a downside, the fact that there are both iOS and macOS versions is a plus. The UI is a bit on the twitchy side until you get a few basic notions in your head, but beyond that flows pretty well. 

It's much more a Photoshop replacement than a Lightroom replacement, specifically because of the lack of image management. 

Another software package I'm evaluating is RAW Power. This one also produces very high quality raw conversions and output, runs on both macOS and iOS, and is also very small in size. Its big plus is that it works together with Photos on both iOS and macOS, allowing you to manage photos rather nicely. It's nowhere near as full featured as Affinity Photo or Lightroom, but coupled with Photos and the other Apple standard software (Keynote, Pages, etc) I think it might prove a real winner. 

Lightroom 6.14 is still working well so I'm not in any hurry to switch to anything else, yet. :)

Thanks for that ramarren, I may take a look at RAW Power. I’ve just managed to download a standalone version of LR6, so I now use that along with Affinity and Photo’s following the attached workflow.

I transfer the DNG files from the SD card  to a ‘Photos’ folder in iCloud on either my iMac or MacBook then into appropriate sub-folders;  I can then keep these originals for as long as I wish as I back them up to an external HD.  When edited, the files are exported from either LR or AP to the JPEG EXPORTS folder where they are automatically imported into Apple Photo’s using Automator thus making them available across all of my IOS and Mac devices. I just need to find a way of automatically deleting them from the JPEG EXPORTS folder once they’ve imported to Photo’s; have sussed that in Automator yet.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Glad to help. That seems a reasonable workflow. It's not quite the way I set thing up at present, but my present workflow is based around LR as the central focus and completely separate from Photos. 

Once I am fully confident I understand how to get what I want out of Photos and RAW Power, and use the photo sharing options properly, I'll jigger things around a bit ... I'm sure. :D

Hmmm... I had a look at Photos - and deleted it from my Mac as far as Apple would allow... I fear that I am set in my more than decade-long habit of Bridge and ACR-Photoshop... :( . Not that I don't use the more recent offerings, especially on my MBAir on the go, but somehow I always revert.

9 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Hmmm... I had a look at Photos - and deleted it from my Mac as far as Apple would allow... I fear that I am set in my more than decade-long habit of Bridge and ACR-Photoshop... :( . Not that I don't use the more recent offerings, especially on my MBAir on the go, but somehow I always revert.

I like to be able to access 'most' of my images across devices. The only way with Adobe as far as I can see is using LR C.C; Adobe C.C LR & PS was costing £10 month but the storage is limited to 20gb unless you pay around £20 month.  With Apple I get 1TB in iCloud for £6.99 per month. Having now found a standalone LR6 download and a great app in Affinity Photo (for my limited amount of PS activity), with a one-off payment of under £50, this saves me £120 per year and gives me the same functionality as I had with Adobe C.C.  I guess everyone has their preferred way of creating workflows which suit them.

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

Whatever works to make your photos, and suits your personal needs, is all that matters. I haven't really touched Photoshop for more than three years, and used it only occasionally for five or six years before that. It's at the point where it's unused and just consuming disk space now. Lightroom has been my image processing base on macOS since beta 4 in 2006. I've tested a lot of other 

I never really used iPhoto or Photos (or Aperture) very much on macOS, use Photos a bit on iOS. But Photos has some interesting capabilities as a data manager and might work for what I want, with RAW Power doing the image processing end of the game. I'll see as I get further with it: I'm far from ready to pass judgement in any direction.