JohnW.

Leica send IR filters after 12 years.

I purchased my M8 (with M8.2 shutter upgrade) used in January 2013.  A few days ago I was registering a couple of new items on the Leica Owners' Area and clicked on the Benefits tab which I don't think I had done before.  To my surprise it informed me I was entitled to 2 free IR filters of my choice.  I didn't think it would be valid 12 years after the camera was produced (mine is an early 2006 model - 310xxxx). but i filled the form in anyway.  Two days later I received an email confirming my filters were on their way.

I can't imagine any other company doing this a) after such a long time and b) not to the original purchaser.  I can only assume the original purchaser had never claimed them but nevertheless it is fantastic of Leica to honor this supply.

IR filters are quite useful for the M9, M240 and -I suspect-  the M10 as well. as these are all thin IR-filter sensors that are bound to show some colour contamination in high-IR conditions. Easy to check: screw in an IR-pass filter and see what image comes out.

I still have mine (and I bought more back then).  Keep them and use them, even if you consider them just be lens-protectors.  It's fun to watch the colorful reflections of light off their surfaces.

It happened the same to me 

I’ve got 2x49mm IR cut filters

All Leica wanted from me was a proof of purches as I am a second owner 

It was the same for me. I was the 3. owner and I registered the camera at Leica. It was over five years since the original sale and I still got two filters. I was very impressed by such service.

I also used our consumer protection here in europa to get a rangefinder adjustment on my M8 before it was five years old. There was no argument about it. It was done for free. I was impressed by that also. Apple and others are horrible when you have a problem.

Hmm. A prior owner must have claimed the filters for the M8 that I just bought. Only 2 Adobe links under my benefits.