Leica send IR filters after 12 years.

JohnW.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased my M8 (with M8.2 shutter upgrade) used in January 2013.  A few days ago I was registering a couple of new items on the Leica Owners' Area and clicked on the Benefits tab which I don't think I had done before.  To my surprise it informed me I was entitled to 2 free IR filters of my choice.  I didn't think it would be valid 12 years after the camera was produced (mine is an early 2006 model - 310xxxx). but i filled the form in anyway.  Two days later I received an email confirming my filters were on their way.

I can't imagine any other company doing this a) after such a long time and b) not to the original purchaser.  I can only assume the original purchaser had never claimed them but nevertheless it is fantastic of Leica to honor this supply.

• Like 3

IR filters are quite useful for the M9, M240 and -I suspect-  the M10 as well. as these are all thin IR-filter sensors that are bound to show some colour contamination in high-IR conditions. Easy to check: screw in an IR-pass filter and see what image comes out.

• Thanks 3

It was the same for me. I was the 3. owner and I registered the camera at Leica. It was over five years since the original sale and I still got two filters. I was very impressed by such service.

I also used our consumer protection here in europa to get a rangefinder adjustment on my M8 before it was five years old. There was no argument about it. It was done for free. I was impressed by that also. Apple and others are horrible when you have a problem.

• 1 month later...