Anyone using modern glass on their screw cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just looking for some recommendations for modern lenses for use on screw bodies as I’m thinking about taking my IIIf with me on my next holiday and was thinking about shooting transparency films with it. ( I don’t think my Summitar would give me the results I want ). I was thinking along the lines of a 50 or 35 but will consider other ideas if the lenses are easy to get hold of and not going to cripple my bank account 🙂

I’ve tried a Voigtlander 50 2.5, which is quite small, but my sample isn’t especially sharp. I do like the f2.0 Heliar in nickel, that looks like a rigid Summar. The 50 1.5 ltm Nokton gives excellent results, but is too big and blocks too much of the finder.

I usually go back to an Elmar or collapsible Summicron.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 minutes ago, frame-it said:

LTM versions or with adapters?

It is not possible to use an M lens on an LTM camera. I have used a Voigtlander 50 Skopar on a IIf with good results, but I would still prefer to use period lenses. Two of the best from the 1950s were the 35mm f2.8 Summaron in LTM mount and its Canon equivalent, which are both equally good and produce a 'modern look'. My idea of a 'modern lens' is the LTM version of the 50mm f 2.8 Elmar made between 50 and 60 years ago. I have one on its way to me and the M version which I have already is pretty good. One other point for the OP is that screw versions of lenses such as the 50mm Summilux were produced in small numbers and fetch very high prices as a result.

William

• Like 1

The first Voigtlander 15mm f4 is a modern lens and came as ltm mount.  No rangefinder focusing,

... but just zone focusing.

It's very quick to use as a snapshot camera.  Can use a Voiglander 15mm finder...or as i do just aim along the hotshoe to get your picture but be careful not to include your feet...😲

Great lens and tiny.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, willeica said:

It is not possible to use an M lens on an LTM camera. I have used a Voigtlander 50 Skopar on a IIf with good results, but I would still prefer to use period lenses. Two of the best from the 1950s were the 35mm f2.8 Summaron in LTM mount and its Canon equivalent, which are both equally good and produce a 'modern look'. My idea of a 'modern lens' is the LTM version of the 50mm f 2.8 Elmar made between 50 and 60 years ago. I have one on its way to me and the M version which I have already is pretty good. One other point for the OP is that screw versions of lenses such as the 50mm Summilux were produced in small numbers and fetch very high prices as a result.

William

And the Canon 1.8/50 as well. However, these Canons are rather period-Japanese in their colour rendering, producing pastel-like colours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david strachan said:

The first Voigtlander 15mm f4 is a modern lens and came as ltm mount.  No rangefinder focusing

Mine. version-1 was so bad I put it away forever. Maybe the later versions are better.

20 minutes ago, pico said:

Mine. version-1 was so bad I put it away forever. Maybe the later versions are better.

Mmm...don't know why.  

I'm  a pixel peeper and found mine v good.  There seems to be a huge range of opinions on Voigtlander lenses...i agree not all are good.  Lots of back-focus generally...and like Leica quality control varies.

My favourite "modern but not so modern " Leica LTM lens would have to be the 35 f2.8 Summaron followed by the cron 50 LTM (original version). The Summaron is compact & ergonomically ideal for me - a classic IMHO.

With regards to "modern modern" LTM lenses, I like & have the CV 15 f4.5 & 21 f4, both small lenses & complement the screwmount bodies

• Like 1

I have used the Voigtlander: 15mm, 25mm, 50mm f/1.5, and 75 f/2.5 in LTM mount (either on the early C/V Bessa L, or via adapter on Ms) - I found them all to be quite competent. I have briefly tried the 21 f/4, 35 f/1.7 and 90 APO-Lanthar, also very competent.

There was a time in the 70s-80s when, if C/V had been producing their LTM line then, I would very happily have used them on a Canon P rangefinder (same mount as Leica LTM, much more functional than the Leicas). Probably 15, 21, 35, 90. But - times and requirements changed....

• Like 1

I use the Voigtlander 28mm, 35mm, and 75mm and while it isn't a modern lens the Canon 50mm f1.8. All are very good lenses and they also have the advantage of being the perfect size for an LTM body, if necessary you can carry all of them in a small bag. In terms of buying any they are all pretty common on that well known auction site so there's no need to buy the first you see. Except that is for the superb and rare 28mm f/3.5 Skopar, for which you should grab the first you see.

I began using some of the CV glass about 3 years ago on my LTM bodies. Generally I'm quite pleased having used the 35/2.5 Color Skopar, 50/1.5 Nokton Asph, and 75/2.4 Color Heliar. I thought I'd really like the 15 but found I didn't use it very much so sold it. I'm presently experimenting with the 21/4 Color Skopar and find that I really like it but it is taking a little getting used to. Overall, I'd have to say that these modern lenses more than meet my needs at a price point well below their Leica counterparts. I have several older Canon, Nikon, and Tanaka lenses in the LTM mounts and find them pretty close in results to their Leica equivalents, although the fit, finish and feel are quite different from those produced by Leica.

• Like 1

I have Voigtlander 15/4.5 21/4 28/1.9 35/2.5 and 75/2.5.  Used on M3 as well as the III. I also had the original 25/4 but swopped it for the 21 and 28.  All are good and an interesting comparison to the 'traditional ' LTM lenses I have for the III, 35/3.5 Summaron, 50/3.5 Elmar (overhauled but left uncoated for interest) 50/2.8 Elmar, 90 Elmar and 135/4 Elmar.

Gerry 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone, I will have a look at some of the recommendations I’ve received and I have also seen a nice Elmar 50 f3.5 I may just buy as well. Looking at some of the test shots taken with this particular example it seems to have excellent sharpness and contrast. 

Geoff