17/8/87 double sided A2 Jessops price list …

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unearthed an A2 double sided Jessops price list today dated 17/8 87. 

Leitz prices: 

M4P £940, M6 £1188, R4 MOT £850, 35/1.4 M £595, 35/2 M £480, 50/2 M £335 … no Noctilux lens listed.

And for comparison: Hasselblad CM body £588.99, 80mm Planar CF 654.50 

Nikon F3 £609, 50/1.4 Nikkor £190, 50/1.2 Noct. Nikon £996.30. 

And at that time Jessops provided a complimentary credit card size fresnel magnifier to read the tiny print.

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For my 40th birthday in 1987, my family gave me a new medium format camera and lens, bought from Jessops in Brighton. I really wanted a Hassleblad, Rollei or Bronica but apparently funds did not stretch that far and they bought me a Mamiya 645J with 80mm/f2.8 Sekor lens instead. Sadly this was the wrong camera, with the fixed back and removable film inserts for 120 and 220 film, rather than a removable back, with dark slide. These plastic film inserts were very poorly moulded, the end result was the film was neither held flat nor at right angles to the lens axis (tipped diagonally), so you got back focus at one corner and front focus at the opposite one. I sent the inserts back a number times for warranty replacements, which were little if any better. I gave up with the camera after a few years and sold it. What I should have said was "just buy me a used Hasselblad body and I will buy a second hand lens". If that had been done, I would imagine I would still have the Hasselblad. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Leitz prices: 

35/1.4 M £595, 35/2 M £480, 50/2 M £335 … no Noctilux lens listed. 

Interesting to see the Summilux only 20% or so more expensive than the Summicron. The move to aspherical versions in the 1990s increased that differential quite a bit. When I bought my first 35 Summicron ASPH in 2002 the new price was £799. The 35 Summilux ASPH was getting on for twice that price if I recall correctly. Strangely enough, the differential has narrowed since and the 35 Summilux is now just over 50% more expensive then the 35 Summicron (RRP).

3 hours ago, wattsy said:

Interesting to see the Summilux only 20% or so more expensive than the Summicron. The move to aspherical versions in the 1990s increased that differential quite a bit. When I bought my first 35 Summicron ASPH in 2002 the new price was £799. The 35 Summilux ASPH was getting on for twice that price if I recall correctly. Strangely enough, the differential has narrowed since and the 35 Summilux is now just over 50% more expensive then the 35 Summicron (RRP).

Ian, 

I bought my 35ASPH Summilux, an ex-display item and discounted from Carmarthen Cameras in 2007 for £1350. It was discounted as 1. The chrome/brass lenses were now out of production with the last batch like mine, dated on the brown outer box, September 2006 and 2. Everyone seemed seemed to want the considerably lighter black alloy version. I was delighted to find a "new" chrome lens, as reputedly the chrome lens bodies were more accurately machined (in Germany, by Novoflex or another sub-contractor) than the alloy bodies (Leica Portugal). I had already tried quite a few new black ASPH 35 Summiluxes in shops and rejected them due to static back/front focus and/or extreme aperture shift problems. The chrome one was as near perfect as I could dream of. Some member on this forum had suggested that I try some chrome 35 ASPH Summilux lenses, after I was expressing disappointment about the poor performance of the black ones. I still have that lens. 

Wilson

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Ian, 

I bought my 35ASPH Summilux, an ex-display item and discounted from Carmarthen Cameras in 2007 for £1350. It was discounted as 1. The chrome/brass lenses were now out of production with the last batch like mine, dated on the brown outer box, September 2006 and 2. Everyone seemed seemed to want the considerably lighter black alloy version.

It's interesting how tastes and fashions change so quickly. After having sold my first (and second😐) 35 Summicron ASPH, I bought another in 2007 and was able to buy a new black paint "millennium" version from one of the well known UK dealers at a good discount to the price of the regular black version. That was just after the release of the M8 and Leica was only just finding it's feet again and a few years before the market went crazy for lenses. (I later sold that lens, probably unwisely, during that crazy period for around twice what I had paid.)

• Like 1