40mm Leica Summicron as a compact lens?

stephengv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve got the CV 35m f/1.4. It is a great little lens provided you know and can live with its limitations. As mentioned above, I generally also use it as an f/2 lens and will use f/1.4 only sparingly because of the softness encountered at this aperture. At f/2 and above it is a very competent lens.  

My CV 35/1.4 "SC" has so much flare and focus shift that i don't use it on rangefinders anymore. Works better on mirrorless cameras but flare it so much an issue that i prefer my M 35/1.4 v2 let alone 35/1.4 FLE from this standpoint. YMMV.

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, sblutter said:

the 40's are great (I prefer the Rokkor due to 39mm filter size) - but also consider the Elmar-M 50.  Really sharp

I wonder which Rokkor takes E39 filter.

Mine M-Rokkor 2/40mm has E40.5 and Older Rokkor 2/40 Series 5.5 filters same as Summicron-C 40mm.

They are all great anyway ☺️.

• 5 months later...

Finally got my self a 40mm Summicron in Hong Kong. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:18 PM, a.noctilux said:

I wonder which Rokkor takes E39 filter.

Mine M-Rokkor 2/40mm has E40.5 and Older Rokkor 2/40 Series 5.5 filters same as Summicron-C 40mm.

They are all great anyway ☺️.

Rokkors are indeed 40.5. The 5.5 filter is actually 39 x 0.75mm and Heliopan still make that size (or did, hard to come by). I have them on my Summicron-C 40 and my Elmarit-C 40.

5 hours ago, Matlock said:

[...] The 5.5 filter is actually 39 x 0.75mm [...]

Series 5.5 filters are smaller than that and have no filter thread. They were made to be used together with the rubber hood of lenses like Tele-Elmarit-M 90/2.8, Summicron-C 40/2 and Elmar-C 90/4.
Edit: Series 5.5 filters are also used in a filter drawer with the Apo-Telyt-R 280/4.

Edited by lct

7 hours ago, stephengv said:

Finally got my self a 40mm Summicron in Hong Kong. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nice shot! You won't be disappointed. It is my one of most used lens. For outdoors/hiking, this is my preferred lens (along with 90mm Macro-elmar m).

3 hours ago, stephengv said:

Thank you for the replies. I just ordered a converter/adopter on Ebay to adopt a 39mm UV Filter. Anyone tried the said adopter? 

Yes. I have the adapter ring to use 39mm thread. I use that to add a hood.

8 hours ago, lct said:

Series 5.5 filters are smaller than that and have no filter thread. They were made to be used together with the rubber hood of lenses like Tele-Elmarit-M 90/2.8, Summicron-C 40/2 and Elmar-C 90/4.
Edit: Series 5.5 filters are also used in a filter drawer with the Apo-Telyt-R 280/4.

That is correct, but I was referring to the thread of the rubber hood/converter.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lct said:

LCT,

You picked my curiosity with the Series 5.5 .

I remember that at one time, I wanted some colored 5.5 filters for my Apo-Telyt-R 4/280,

and never found one.

So I had a look at this reference site for Series filters

but i've found errors (or maybe another truth ) in the dimension of Series 5.5 filter as 40.5mm large, retaining ring 43.7mm ,

then I measured the 5.5 neutral only one that I have in filter drawer of the Apo-Telyt-R 4/280, it's about 36mm.

So many mysteries (or truths ...) when we talk about Series filters.

Yes i would say about 36mm as well since Series 5.5 filters can be dropped below the rubber hood of C-40/2 and C-90/4 which are both ø 39mm lenses. I've never measured mine though. BTW colored Series 5.5 filters can be found on e**y.

Edited by lct

3 hours ago, lct said:

Yes i would say about 36mm as well since Series 5.5 filters can be dropped below the rubber hood of C-40/2 and C-90/4 which are both ø 39mm lenses. I've never measured mine though. BTW colored Series 5.5 filters can be found on e**y.

Whilst the Leica C lens are, indeed 39mm, they are 39 x 0.75 as opposed to the normal E39 which is 39 x 0.50. trying to fit a normal E39 filter will usual result in damaged thread.

1 hour ago, Matlock said:

Whilst the Leica C lens are, indeed 39mm, they are 39 x 0.75

I never said the opposite did i. Learnt this 30+ years ago ;). So when using regular 39mm filters, better refrain from tighten them on 40/2 and 90/4 C lenses. But Series 5.5 are Series 5.5. No filter thread on those filters :cool:.

14 minutes ago, lct said:

I never said the opposite did i. Learnt this 30+ years ago ;). So when using regular 39mm filters, better refrain from tighten them on 40/2 and 90/4 C lenses. But Series 5.5 are Series 5.5. No filter thread on those filters :cool:.

I didn't say the opposite either. I was simply pointing out the different thread pitch and warning against using E39 when the correct filter is available from Heliopan. Yes I know that 5.5 have no thread but the lens hood/adaptors for them do.

We can say here that Series 5.5 filter :

- has to be used with retaining ring or dedicated hood (39x0.75) on Summicron-C 40mm or Elmar-C 90mm

- on "C" lenses if we use another retaining ring, hood or adapter it must be 39mm size x pitch 0.75mm

- on "C" lenses we can use 39mm x 1mm filter (from Nikon) or E39 filter (39mm x 0.5mm pitch), we must not screw too far

- in the market, adapter E39 (39x0.5)F to 39x0.75 M exists so the best solution can be here to use more common E39 filters

7 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

We can say here that Series 5.5 filter :

- has to be used with retaining ring or dedicated hood (39x0.75) on Summicron-C 40mm or Elmar-C 90mm

- on "C" lenses if we use another retaining ring, hood or adapter it must be 39mm size x pitch 0.75mm

- on "C" lenses we can use 39mm x 1mm filter (from Nikon) or E39 filter (39mm x 0.5mm pitch), we must not screw too far

- in the market, adapter E39 (39x0.5)F to 39x0.75 M exists so the best solution can be here to use more common E39 filters

I would agree with all of that and if you have 5.5 filters it makes sense to use them. If you don't then seek out the Heliopan filter or the correct adaptor as per your last line.

The problem WAS not with "C" lenses that I don't have, I use the Minolta 2/40 M-Rokkor "same lens" with E40.5 common filters,

but lct mentioned Series 5.5 filter for the "best Telyt-R lens" ... Apo-Telyt-R 4/280 that Leitz/Leica had the idea to put a "5.5 Series filter holder" (the only one in this case)

• Like 1