40mm Leica Summicron as a compact lens?

stephengv

The Summicron-C 40/2, as well as the Rokkors 40/2 for Minolta CL and CLE cameras, are among the most if not the most compact (*) non-M ;) lens one can use on M bodies. Non-M in the sense that the Summicron 40/2 is a "C" lens made for the Leica (film) CL having a non-M sloping cam and a non-M non-filter thread. The thread of the lens is made for its special rubber hood whereas filters made for it are not threaded (Series 5.5). On the M 240, this lens will bring up 50mm frame lines that don't match the 40mm field of view. There are different ways of making it bring up 35mm framelines instead but problem is with the M240, the latters are not accurate either. Better choose an earlier M body the viewfinder of which is designed to be accurate at 1 metre instead of 2 metres on the M240 from this viewpoint. Not everybody shares my feeling on this point though. Do a search on the forum you will find several posts about this topic. BTW i don't quite understand what you mean about collapsible lenses having dust issues. I have no experience with collapsible 40mm M lenses if any but i use much 50/2.8 and 90/4 ones and they don't collect significantly more or less dust than rigid lenses on Leica and non-Leica bodies. YMMV.

(*) Edit: The most compact M mount lens could possibly be the current Summaron 28/5.6 or another C lens, the Elmarit-C 40/2.8. I have no experience with them though.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stephengv said:

.... Will this lens combination makw my M240 more compact? ...

Well.. of course it depends on what you compare with… ;)

I tend to consider my Summicron 35 asph, for instance, a sort of standard lens to have onto my M240... the Summicron 40 is more compact... but not SO much, after all…  things are different when I consider (in my case) the Summicron 50 rigid… difference is significant (even for weight...the mix of length and weight makes the combo "more leaning South"...)

About compactness. 28/2.8 asph v1, 35/2 v4, 40/2 and 50/2.8 v2 Leica lenses:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Yes. The 40 Summicron makes a compact package.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 2

An even more compact 40mm

• Like 1

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, stephengv said:

Thank you for the replies and the pictures. Very much appreciated.

is the 40mm FL far off from the 50mm frame line of the Leica M 240?

Not enough that, with a little practice, you can easily judge the outcome.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stephengv said:

I’m looking of ways to make my M240 more  compact. I’m thinking of getting the 40mm summicron. Will this lens combination makw my M240 more compact? Do you guys have pics?

I don’t consider a collapsible lens as an option due to dust issues.

Thanks

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/292205-8th-street-baptist-church/

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/292206-slated-for-restoration/

40mm is odd in the sense there is no frame line, but it translates wonderfully to a 35mm negative, proportions and all that. Such a wide focusing area, you get to f5.6 and you just need the external viewer and shoot -- at least on film cameras where mine resides. I really like it.

This is my go to hiking lens on M240. I have filed the tab to bring up 35mm lines but I guess you can live with 50mm lines. In cases when you do need to be precise, just switch on LV on rear LCD. Plain and simple.

This lens is sharp 2.8 down. Sharpness comparable to my 50lux ASPH at f8 across the field. The sweet spot is 5.6 and 8.

The best part is that it is cheaper due to frame lines issue. :) 

If you get it then a must is thread adapter ring so that you can put regular filter and shade. This stuff is cheap. 

I also like it on APS-C camera (Nex6) making a very compact and light 60mm FOV package  I happen to like this FOV as well (my first lens was 57mm Konica Hexanon).

In my Flickr you have a dedicated album for this lens. Check it out. 

https://flickr.com/photos/93697671@N08/sets/72157650768155274

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jmahto said:

This is my go to hiking lens on M240. I have filed the tab to bring up 35mm lines but I guess you can live with 50mm lines. In cases when you do need to be precise, just switch on LV on rear LCD. Plain and simple.

This lens is sharp 2.8 down. Sharpness comparable to my 50lux ASPH at f8 across the field. The sweet spot is 5.6 and 8.

The best part is that it is cheaper due to frame lines issue. :) 

If you get it then a must is thread adapter ring so that you can put regular filter and shade. This stuff is cheap. 

I also like it on APS-C camera (Nex6) making a very compact and light 60mm FOV package  I happen to like this FOV as well (my first lens was 57mm Konica Hexanon).

In my Flickr you have a dedicated album for this lens. Check it out. 

https://flickr.com/photos/93697671@N08/sets/72157650768155274

Thank you. Looking at your gallery now. Great shots. By the way, do you have link on the thread adapter ring? thanks

Sometimes I use a Nokton f1.4 40mm with my M10 (normal use Minolta CLE)

I like this lens, but don't use it often as the frameline issue is really odd.
For a small solution the Skopar f2.5 35mm PII, mentioned above, is better.

PS: I use my Summaron f2.8 35mm if size matters ...

Edited by cp995