How much film do you shoot in one year?

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

picked up some extra supplies while reading this thread :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

In a normal year I average around 60 rolls, so about 5 a month (60*38 = 2,280 film frames a year). I end up with approximately an even split between BW and colour. Also take some digital. Would like to take more, have to get a time machine to make more time!

(I always get 38 or more frames out of the M3's).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been averaging 150-200 rolls a year over the last decade.  Virtually all B&W.  Lots of Fomapan purchased in 100' rolls.  Cheap.  Think I'll start buying higher quality film though.  Easiest way to improve pictures w/o doing or getting anything different.  

Edited by SteveYork

On 12/17/2018 at 12:23 PM, Bill Clark said:

I don’t use much film anymore and I really don’t keep a tally on how much I’ve used. No color film.  I use black & white film only now.  I still bulk load as I’m working down film I bought quite a while ago. 

No scanning.  Why scan as I can capture with digital cameras? Film is film and, to my way of thinking, film is meant to be printed with an analog darkroom. 

When I had my business, I would carry a cooler divided up into various parts each with a different type of film.  When I went completely digital in 2004 what a relief! My process stage went from the darkroom to an iMac.

I feel the same. I think it's largely my personal taste.

When it goes to color,  I like Leica digital much more than color films, be it Velvia or Ektar, so I stop buying any color films. 

But when it goes to B&W, I just can't get the same sweet tonal rendition from any digital, including Leica M, MFDB, and film scanning. I don't thing it's purely my poor scan skill or equipment. I saw same ugly stuffs in the recently walled photo galleries in the nearby camera stores.  

I also feel the tonal rendition is the only thing I am after the B&w film. Grain is not an issue any more (unlike in my pre-digital life).  I am picking Tri-X and ignoring Tmax and Delta. The advantage of Tmax and Delta is covered by the B7W mode in Leica digital. what is missing is in the classical B&W films.      

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/21/2019 at 6:40 PM, jmahto said:

Wow. That is lots of film! How much do you print? Or is it mostly scanned. 

All scanned.  I got into serious photography just as the digital revolution was taking off 20 years ago.  At the time I figured I'd keep shooting films because all the 'talking heads' on these forums said we would no longer have film in 5 years.  That was before I learned that 80% of what's written on these forums is generally nonsense.  Anyway, we still have film, and I still shoot it.  If I ever get the room, I'll build a dark room.  Until then my coolscan keeps chugging away.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SteveYork said:

All scanned.  I got into serious photography just as the digital revolution was taking off 20 years ago.  At the time I figured I'd keep shooting films because all the 'talking heads' on these forums said we would no longer have film in 5 years.  That was before I learned that 80% of what's written on these forums is generally nonsense.  Anyway, we still have film, and I still shoot it.  If I ever get the room, I'll build a dark room.  Until then my coolscan keeps chugging away.

Went through your flickr pics! Loved it. It shows that you don't necessarily need digital to capture world around you. Even today.

I quit from rolls once I went into film for real. I started with four bulks per year, now down to two.

People like me often rolls less than 20 frames.

My LR shows 3K+ frames scanned in 2018.

I printed 100+ in the darkroom.

I also developed few e6 and couple of dozens of c-41.

Edited by Ko.Fe.

• 7 months later...

I am surprised you guys know...I do primarily 120, 4x5 and 8x10 and do not have a good idea. I guess at least 30-40 rolls of 120 and 100-150 sheets of 4x5. I just started 8x10 in 2018 and have shot around 80 sheets of BW and 3 of Provia (haha). But 1 sheet of 8x10 is equivalent to 1 roll of 35mm in film area, does that count?

• Like 1

I've taken about 20 films this year, 9 of which need to be developed. 50:50 colour:B+W. 

I don't use digital as a rule but I took a digital camera (Ricoh GXR) skiing in Norway this year because my 111f died, and I took an Olympus TG5 sea kayaking for 2 weeks because I didn't want to risk salt water in my film cameras. 

I haven't touched my Leica M-P240 or Q for a couple of years, I think, but with this news about new film-fogging scanners being introduced at airports, I'll probably start using them again for trips abroad. I know I can ask for a hand check but I have been refused in the past and didn't feel comfortable arguing for the sake of it (my film was all 400 iso or below).

Pete

So far I had another good film turnout this year compared to my earlier post #11 in this thread - and the year is not over yet! 

19 rolls of 35 mm films with approx. 36 frames on each (most of them self-rolled from 100' rolls of film)
25 rolls of 120 films (increase from 2018 after I got my Hasselblad 500 C/M which I shot a lot this year so far)
6 sheets of 4x5 film

I printed less this year so far in my darkroom. All of my negatives and positives were digitized. Like last year, I developed B&W, color, and slide films all by myself and also did the scanning. If I go out shooting, it is nearly always on the weekend only. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 2

Fresh Supplies

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have 182 Print File sheets of exposed film so far this year.  About half are 35mm and hold 7 strips each, which 1.16 rolls (each roll is cut into 6 strips).  The other sheets hold one roll of 120 film each.

So half of 182 is 91 X 1.16 = 105 rolls of 35mm

105 (35mm rolls) + 91 (120 rolls) = 196 rolls so far this year. 

And I do a lot of shooting during the holiday season.

I figure I will shoot at least 30 rolls this month.

So that's somewhere hovering around 226 rolls.  

Each rolls costs an average of $7.5 to purchase and $5 to develop.

So my annual cost of enjoying film $2825 - not including the imputed cost of my in-home scanning workflow.

Wow, I never thought about it that way!  Good thing I don't 😮!

I'd rather choose to think about as the cost of 2 lattes per day.

How many coffees do you purchase each day? 🧐

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve shot around 5 rolls of Tri-X this past month or so having recently picked up an M6 to go with my M-10-P. 
In fact I’m so enamoured with my M6 I’ve barely touched my M10 since I’ve had the M6!  I love the simplicity of shooting film, and find it far less stressful than shooting digital - if I don’t feel the frame is worth shooting with film I don’t shoot it, rather than with digital where I try and make the photo work. 
I also invested in a home developing kit and scanner so I can develop my black and white at home rather than have to wait for the lab. 
So far so good, just need to find a way to find more time to shoot film now! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1