How much film do you shoot in one year?

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I completed my first year of back to film (stopped shooting film in 2003 when digital became convenient). I did shoot digital for past one year as well and it was fun to compare.

I shot around 32 rolls of film (mostly 36 frames each) and almost 90% was in M2 (rest on Nikon FM2 and Konica T2). Many were experimental but I did use it for my summer roadtrip and to capture life as well. I got around 86 pictures that I like very much. That is 7% of total. Still small but I was experimenting a lot. 

Around the same time I shot more than 6000 digital pictures (with M240 and Nex6 evenly distributed). I got around 4% keepers from that.

How much do you shoot in one year?
(Note: Nobody pays me, I shoot for myself)

All my film keepers

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

When I shot 35mm film, I shot around 10 rolls per week average (some weeks (heck, some weekends!) 25, some weeks 2). About 90% color slide, often a long way from home, and with no chance to check the results - so I did a lot of experimenting in the sense of bracketing exposures, making multiple "versions" of pictures just in case, and otherwise shooting scared ("Everything I've shot so far is probably garbage, so I'd better keep looking for something better.")

I never worried about percentage of keepers, just absolute number of keepers. The latter counts on the gallery wall; nobody cares about the former.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Funny, I just did my annual count a few days ago (and didn't shoot with film since ;)): about 855 frames taken with 35 mm film (approx. 24 rolls of 36 frames), 234 frames in medium format (6x6, 6x7, and one film roll with 4x4), and 16 frames in 4x5" large format. Mix of B&W, C-41, and E-6 films, all self-developed and scanned. 

I shot with 7 analog cameras (four 35 mm ones, 2 medium-format cameras, and one large format camera). 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 2

I don’t use much film anymore and I really don’t keep a tally on how much I’ve used. No color film.  I use black & white film only now.  I still bulk load as I’m working down film I bought quite a while ago. 

No scanning.  Why scan as I can capture with digital cameras? Film is film and, to my way of thinking, film is meant to be printed with an analog darkroom. 

When I had my business, I would carry a cooler divided up into various parts each with a different type of film.  When I went completely digital in 2004 what a relief! My process stage went from the darkroom to an iMac.

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill Clark said:

No scanning.  Why scan as I can capture with digital cameras? Film is film and, to my way of thinking, film is meant to be printed with an analog darkroom. 

I do exactly this with my film negatives, but in a very limited amount compared to the images I scan. Why - because that's the only way to show the taken film photo to a greater audience which a single print will rarely get. There is some loss when digitizing film, but I find it marginal. It is still different especially in B&W compared to a photo from a digital camera. 

• Like 2

Enough film in a year for the developing and scanning costs to pay for an M10 and a new lens ..... but in this day and my age rational is not the driving force. To your original point, though, when I go out with my digital and film cameras, I shoot many more digital .... it is free....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sblitz said:

Enough film in a year for the developing and scanning costs to pay for an M10 and a new lens ..... but in this day and my age rational is not the driving force. To your original point, though, when I go out with my digital and film cameras, I shoot many more digital .... it is free....

This is why when I want to shoot film, I leave digital behind. Yes, film cost is not rationally justifiable, but I love the variety of different films. Digital becomes monotonous in comparison.

• Like 3