AF not locking properly

sweh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

I brought myself finally a Leica Q last week. Its a really nice camera, but I have one issue I dont know if its a bug or a settings problem:

If I half press the release button, the camera is focusing. I hold the button half pressed down until my subject is ready for the picture. If I press the button fully down (without releasing it), I assume the camera is taking the picure, but what it does is its focusing again and the taking the picture. I have set the mode switch to "S" and AF Mode to "1 point".

Setting the Zoom button to "AEL/AFL" does not work either. Pressing or holding the button does nothing! With settings to Zoom the button works as expected.

A reset of the camera settings did not help.

Am I doing something wrong?

Kind regards,

Sebastian

vor 20 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

Did you select AFC? Set it to AFS. Does the camera have a "release on focus"  setting? If so, disable.

No, I am on AFs. I cant see any "release on focus" settings.

After some playing around with the menus I could get the thumb button to work with the AFL setting. So I can now focus with the button and the recompose and shoot the picture. The release button now only does AE. But here again, I can not lock the AE messurements with pressing the release button half way down.

I assume the button is some kind of broken?

I cannot duplicate the phenomenon that you’re experiencing. Are you achieving focus with a green rectangle displayed? Is that green rectangle remaining while you hold the shutter half way down? When you fully press the shutter does the green rectangle change, go away and return, or do something different? Have you tried varying the focus point size. You do that by holding down the delete button and turning the thumb wheel. Maybe a different size will exhibit different behavior. 

You’ll figure this out. The Q is a great camera with great ergonomics. 

Welcome to the Leica Forum Sebastian  

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Infiniumguy:

I cannot duplicate the phenomenon that you’re experiencing. Are you achieving focus with a green rectangle displayed?

Is that green rectangle remaining while you hold the shutter half way down? When you fully press the shutter does the green rectangle change, go away and return, or do something different? Have you tried varying the focus point size. You do that by holding down the delete button and turning the thumb wheel. Maybe a different size will exhibit different behavior. 

You’ll figure this out. The Q is a great camera with great ergonomics. 

Welcome to the Leica Forum Sebastian 

Thanks!

Yes, there is a green rectangle indicating that my subject is in focus when I press the button half way. Its remaining, unless I leave the button OR I press it a little further (like ¾ way down). I can hold the button at ¾ way down and the camera is operating like if I dont press the button (rectangle is white). If I then press the button completely down, it focuses (gets green again) and takes the shot. Varying the focus point size does not help.

It really feels like there is something wrong with the button.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well bummer. I have no 3/4 push position on my camera. Its either half way down or it causes the shutter to trip when I push a little harder. You may very well be right and need to send / take it in to Leica. New? Under warranty? 

I’d try manually focusing then back to auto just to cycle everything in the lens. At this point I’m at a loss to help. Good luck.

Its a big disappointment that your camera came this way. Honest, most of the Q users have very positive things to say about the canera. 

I might try reloading the latest 3.0 firmware. I’m not sure how to do that, but I’d download the firmware and go through the standard upgrade process  

Good luck. 

Dan

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Thanks 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Infiniumguy:

Well bummer. I have no 3/4 push position on my camera. Its either half way down or it causes the shutter to trip when I push a little harder. You may very well be right and need to send / take it in to Leica. New? Under warranty? 

I’d try manually focusing then back to auto just to cycle everything in the lens. At this point I’m at a loss to help. Good luck.

Its a big disappointment that your camera came this way. Honest, most of the Q users have very positive things to say about the canera. 

Good luck. 

Dan

You saved my day! Shifting the camera to manual focus and then back to AF solved the problem. The focus now is locked until the camera takes the picture. Thanks a lot for that hint!

The camera is absolutely new, brought it last friday, produced end november. I really could not imagine a real issue with the camera.

• Thanks 1

Welcome to this forum.  I'm so happy that your glitch has disappeared.

There are many kind folks here that truly care for your happiness with this instrument camera.

Most of us have other cameras in addition to the Q but seem to carry the Q everywhere.

No question is too elementary -- if something stands between you and success, please just ask...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Am 10.12.2018 um 09:07 schrieb sweh:

If I half press the release button, the camera is focusing. I hold the button half pressed down until my subject is ready for the picture. If I press the button fully down (without releasing it), I assume the camera is taking the picure, but what it does is its focusing again and the taking the picture. I have set the mode switch to "S" and AF Mode to "1 point".

Same issue on my Q-P. AF is not locked on half press. AF is set to AFs, aperture priority, AF mode "1 point"... 

4 hours ago, Benchjto said:

Same issue on my Q-P. AF is not locked on half press. AF is set to AFs, aperture priority, AF mode "1 point"... 

Did you try manual focus then back to the auto focus position on the lens? That’s my first guess. Is it in macro mode? 

• Like 1

Hi Infiniumguy

thanks for your answer. Yes tried that already without any luck. And the camera is not on macro. Also did a factory reset twice...
I tried different setting with EVF and LCD and its always the same. Half press and AF is set and the rectangle is green then move the subject little bit and releasing. The AF is refocusing again before capturing.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Benchjto:

Hi Infiniumguy

thanks for your answer. Yes tried that already without any luck. And the camera is not on macro. Also did a factory reset twice...
I tried different setting with EVF and LCD and its always the same. Half press and AF is set and the rectangle is green then move the subject little bit and releasing. The AF is refocusing again before capturing.

Hi Benchjto,

can you try different lighting conditions. For me this only happens in low light. I suppose, this is a firmware bug.

Greetings,

Sebastian

vor 5 Minuten schrieb stuny:

Sometimes in low light the focus area might be centered on a low contrast section, and fail to focus.  In those fairly rare instances, either switch to manual focus or slightly move the focus area.

We are not talking about focus fails. The recangle gets green and indicates, that the subject is in focus. But in low light, sometimes the Q refocuses when full pressing the shutter button.

Hello guys I am new to the forum. I just bought my Q-P last month as my first digital leica - hope won't be too late to buy a Q now.

I faced exactly the same problem with the first Q-P I got. Eventually I sent back to the dealer and got another one shortly with no issue.

My guess is it could be a production problem with a batch of new Qs..

3 hours ago, Benchjto said:

just spoke to the local Leica dealer. He has no clue and will contact the national Leica support.

I think its a software bug or production problem...

Very sorry to hear of your continuing troubles. Hopefully its resolved quickly. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2018 at 3:48 AM, Benchjto said:

just spoke to the local Leica dealer. He has no clue and will contact the national Leica support.

I think its a software bug or production problem...

What was the resolution of your issue? I have the exact same issue with my new Q-P. Camera set to single point, AFs, and holding shutter button halfway and keeping green box to recompose doesn't work – always refocuses on full press. Switching back to manual focus and back to AF doesn't help. Sending mine back to B&H for a swap.

Edited by hdmesa