Voigtlander Ultron 21mm f1.8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was looking for a fast wide angle for the CL, the Summicron 23 seems fine but a little too dear right now. The 18 has a better price, but have heard it is not that sharp. I saw B&H with the Voigtlander Ultron 21mm f1.8 for what seems a very nice price. Has anyone used this lens on the CL? The dimensions and weight seem a little bag and heavy, but the price is right and I'm using M lenses now and don't have any autofocus lenses for the CL. Currently my near 35mm is a 25mm f3.5 Canon.

Thanks

Tom

Hello Tom, actually i am using a lot the VM lenses in particular the 21mm f.1.8 and the 35mm f1.4 they are very good lenses i like the color and sharpness. If we compare the 21mm f.1.8 with the summilux 21mm f1.4 obviously you can notice a difference in sharpness (the summilux is Stunning!) But the VM is really a great product, over the edge comparing with other 21mm also in other brand full frame forma. In my opinion (it is my first choice lens on my CL) it is a perfect couple with CL and is super easy to focus.

In my gallery have some shoot made with it and 35mm f1.4 and next week will upload some new shots from my latest trip.

Matteo

1 hour ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I was looking for a fast wide angle for the CL, the Summicron 23 seems fine but a little too dear right now. The 18 has a better price, but have heard it is not that sharp. I saw B&H with the Voigtlander Ultron 21mm f1.8 for what seems a very nice price. Has anyone used this lens on the CL? The dimensions and weight seem a little bag and heavy, but the price is right and I'm using M lenses now and don't have any autofocus lenses for the CL. Currently my near 35mm is a 25mm f3.5 Canon.

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

I had the lens a while back and liked it.  Thought it was great for the price. Here are some photos taken with it.  The top 2 were taken with it on the SL 601, the bottom with it on the Leica T. (I am just a hobbyist).

Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I am quite taken with Voigtländer lenses in general, but is 21 mm short enough to replace an 18 mm lens?

My regular setup is 21mm and 35mm 99% off my production is street photography and found 21mm short enough to keep privacy of the subject giving a good environment presence.

21mm is a very nice focal length on APS-C format. I recall shooting with the Pentax 21mm f/3.2 Limited quite a lot when I had that system. I was considering one of the Voigtlander 21/1.8s myself, as it would be nice to have a faster lens in this focal length for the CL (and I'm not wealthy enough to buy the Summilux-M :) ). It's nice to hear good reports about it. 

21 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Have got to find an 11-23, Adorama seems to say they have a few. 

Thanks for your answers.

Tom

Good luck with that.... mine has been on order since early July.... and Adorama site states that it is on backorder

Best

George