Stolen M10/Noctilux but Grateful

aintchu9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While attending our teenage son's confirmation last Sunday, our home was ransacked. Needless to say, the thieves didn't overlook the M10 sn:35182082 & the lens I've travelled with the past 12+ years: 50mm f/1 Noctilux  sn:03985207.  FWIW, the sermon for the teenage confirmants encouraged them to be grateful for what they have & remember things could always be worse. How prescient. Indeed, things could be worse. My family (including the dog) were unharmed & fortunately, the Leica is insured...& replaceable.  

• Like 4

@ a.noctilux,

Don't you declare the loss goods to police for this ?

Indeed I did.

M10's serial number has one more digit than usual, only seven required.

Thanks for noticing. You are correct. SN:0985207 

If anyone knows where I can find a replacement please let me know. It would be nice to find something close to my serial number which I believe is 1 of the last 600 f/1 series IV Noctilux lens designed by Mandler. 

Edited by aintchu9

2 hours ago, albertknappmd said:

Have the authorities and Leica ever notified anyone that a stolen item has turned up????

Albert ☹️

To maximise the effectiveness of the alert and notification system, always register individual items in your members area.

https://owners.leica-camera.com/index.php/home

After that, Ownership cannot be changed until the original owner de registers the serial number.  

2 hours ago, lucerne said:

To maximise the effectiveness of the alert and notification system, always register individual items in your members area.

https://owners.leica-camera.com/index.php/home

After that, Ownership cannot be changed until the original owner de registers the serial number.  

Not altogether the same. Ownership can change but registration cannot without unregistering.

Some folks won’t cancel registration just to keep use of the TAN numbers for software.

I don’t quite follow your thinking.  Have you used the Members Area for recording ownership of your kit. Maybe you haven’t understood the purpose of that facility.

TAN numbers are nothing to do with the hardware ownership database and there are no TAN numbers for lenses. Indeed, there are no TAN numbers on the lens or body database.   If equipment is registered, the ownership register provides a link for Leica to communicate with the known true owner.  That’s got to be a good thing.  If a stolen item is sold, and the new owner is unaware of its history, they may attempt to register it and find that it is impossible to do so.  The original owner would be required to de register.   Usually the dealer or the new owner prompts the seller.  Leica won’t amend the database.  If - after communicating with the dealer or current owner - you discovered that you couldn’t register the newly acquired lens or body, you should be very concerned.

concerning the TAN number, once used for Lightroom  software, it doesn’t theoretically expire , even if the camera body is sold on.  However, TAN numbers are no longer relevant.  No one deinstalls editing software just because they sold that camera.   

I have twice been asked to de register lens equipment I had sold, after forgetting to do so.  How can you refuse? (There was no TAN number involved.)

1 hour ago, lucerne said:

I don’t quite follow your thinking.  Have you used the Members Area for recording ownership of your kit. Maybe you haven’t understood the purpose of that facility.

TAN numbers are nothing to do with the hardware ownership database and there are no TAN numbers for lenses. Indeed, there are no TAN numbers on the lens or body database.   If equipment is registered, the ownership register provides a link for Leica to communicate with the known true owner.  That’s got to be a good thing.  If a stolen item is sold, and the new owner is unaware of its history, they may attempt to register it and find that it is impossible to do so.  The original owner would be required to de register.   Usually the dealer or the new owner prompts the seller.  Leica won’t amend the database.  If - after communicating with the dealer or current owner - you discovered that you couldn’t register the newly acquired lens or body, you should be very concerned.

concerning the TAN number, once used for Lightroom  software, it doesn’t theoretically expire , even if the camera body is sold on.  However, TAN numbers are no longer relevant.  No one deinstalls editing software just because they sold that camera.   

I have twice been asked to de register lens equipment I had sold, after forgetting to do so.  How can you refuse? (There was no TAN number involved.)

Yes I have. All my Leica gear is registered there. I had the instance where the original owner couldn’t be contacted to unregister an item and with a bill of sale Leica did it for me. What I was referring to with the TAN is registering a used body as software goes with it unless the TAN number was used. I believe two licenses go with each TAN number.

Yes. TAN goes with bodies, or at least it did until more than two years ago.  No TAN code in Europe with new bodies.   The Adobe licence for standalone Lightroom has been changed to an Adobe trial of CC. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 4:32 PM, aintchu9 said:

While attending our teenage son's confirmation last Sunday, our home was ransacked. Needless to say, the thieves didn't overlook the M10 sn:35182082 & the lens I've travelled with the past 12+ years: 50mm f/1 Noctilux  sn:03985207.  FWIW, the sermon for the teenage confirmants encouraged them to be grateful for what they have & remember things could always be worse. How prescient. Indeed, things could be worse. My family (including the dog) were unharmed & fortunately, the Leica is insured...& replaceable.  

You have my empathy, and wishes for an expedient recovery. Your personal space was violated, and cherished equipment was stolen.

I worked for Houston PD for 34 years, and remained on night shift patrol for the duration. Capturing burglars was always a priority.

Am 9.12.2018 um 23:32 schrieb aintchu9:

Strange serial for the M10. Did it not start with a 5???
I guess it could be 5182082?

Edited by satijntje

I hope that your insurance covers the loss.

I have all of my expensive Leica and Fuji gear covered by a separate policy for actual value against damage, loss, theft, etc. I costs me about $500 a year to insure about $50,000 of gear. Well worth the cost for my piece of mind. As I'm not a professional photographer, the coverage is more affordable.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

I’m very sorry you got hit, I did twice in a 3 year period early in my career in my mid 20’s and it really hurt in a lot of ways. 

I won’t go into the utterly self indulgent and tactless act of telling you how much gear I have or how much the insurance cost is but will say that a good policy helps to at least mitigate the sting of it all. 

On 12/12/2018 at 10:52 AM, albertknappmd said:

Have the authorities and Leica ever notified anyone that a stolen item has turned up????

Albert ☹️

Certainly not in my case when I had a 246 Monochrom and four lenses stolen on the Leica One Challenge in Portugal. I was hopeful, thinking the new owner may have returned the Monochrom to the mothership thinking there was something wrong with it as it only took B&W images; but no such luck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year & many thanks to all for responding & best wishes. No luck yet on finding the thieves but I can report that the insurance company reimbursed me for the full insured valued on both the M10 & the Noctilux.  Last week I was fortunate to find another f/1 that was, interestingly enough, within 40 serial numbers of mine.  I had originally purchased the f/1 from another forum member back in 2008 which, as I understand it, was part of the last batch of 600 or so Mandler designed lens produced. As interesting (to me at least) was casually inquiring about & finding a vario-elmarit R35-70mm f:2.8 from the same dealer.  The biggest surprise was the price for both that still left me with a grand of insurance proceeds to put down on a new M-D which I ordered Thursday & arrives Monday!

My start in photography began with the M8 & Noctilux so that's really all I've known &, I might add, continue to have fun trying learn. Since I am not familiar with R/zoom lens, perhaps someone can assist me with what to look for when evaluating the mechanics/condition as I don't have a Leica dealer in my neighborhood - pics attached if that helps. Also, interested to know if I should send it in for CLA considering I don't know the history of this 20 year old lens? I take it service would be carried out in Solms &, if required, are parts are still available? To a lesser extent I'd be curious to get thoughts on the speculative value these days/down the road as eBay is probably not the best guide & depending on what you read, the other manufacturers are supposedly finally catching up to Leica glass.  

FWIW, I think of Leica kind of like the PP World Time I enjoy & feel fortunate to own. PP has a brilliant advertisement that says something to the effect of..."You never actually own a PP, you just take care of it for the next generation."  My two young boys could care less about dad's "old school" watch & camera at present. It's my hope that one day when I'm gone, they'll be grateful & get as much satisfaction as I have in taking care of them for the next generation.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I would give the lens a CLA by an independent. Leica has no parts for R lenses anyway. They are in Wetzlar, not Solms, BTW.

Are you sure you want it on an M, though? It is a big beast and EVF-only, there are plenty of affordable primes with RF coupling.