M246 dng files and Windows10 64bit

mich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a harddisk crash of my old computer, running with Win 8.1, I decided to build a new system, this time with Win 10.

The performance of the hardware upgrade is absolutely stunning, so I'm really happy now. Additionally the switch from Win8.1 to Win10 brought another advantage. For a quick check or preselection of my pictures I always used the Windows photo app, without the need to import the pictures into any additional program. This worked fine with Win8.1 for the most raw formats, it didn't work for dng files. Any efforts to install a proper codec failed. With Win10 this problem was finally solved.

But here another mystery starts. The dng files from the Leica SL work like a charm. When I double-click the files in Win explorer, the photo app opens and the picture is shown in full screen size.

When I try the same with my M246 dngs, only a tiny thumb is shown, maybe just the embedded jpg.

I guess there will be no (easy) workaround due to file properties. I have a guess what the reasons for this behavior are, but it would be great, if someone with more technical insight could enlighten me further. 😊

Edited by mich

The reason is that not all DNG files are equal. The 246 probably uses linear DNG*, which may not be supported by your version of Windows, as developers sometimes do not implement the full DNG standard. The solution is to run your files through Adobe's (free) DNG converter.

http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/articles/dng/linear.htm

36 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The reason is that not all DNG files are equal. The 246 probably uses linear DNG*, which may not be supported by your version of Windows, as developers sometimes do not implement the full DNG standard. The solution is to run your files through Adobe's (free) DNG converter.

You may be right, but when the first Leica Monochrom hit the market, I read somewhere that the Monochrom sensor uses the same 4 channels(RGB plus lum) like a 'normal' RGB sensor, just not filled with color information. No idea if this correct.

Either way, I would have expected that, if a camera manufacturer uses a file format, proprietary or not, that it would at least be consistent within the own system.

Leica's file format is consistent with the DNG format, but not all aspects of the DNG standard have been implemented by all software developers. Especially monochrome sensors will use the more obscure aspects, as they will not require RGB demosaicing. And no, the Monochroms do not use the normal 3 RGB channels. (Not 4- the luminosity channel is part of the LAB colour space You can see the three RGB channels plus RGB composite in Photoshop) You can only define RGB on raw development, and the RGB channels will be identical for a monochrome image.  Adobe converts to Greyscale by default.

Do read the article I linked to. Even if it is older, most of it is still relevant.

Another solution might be to install Micosoft's Windows extension RawImageViewer: (not being a Windows user for my photography, I haven't tried it)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-viewer/9wzdncrdbvl5?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 10.12.2018 um 18:41 schrieb mich:

I'm glad to report that I found a solution for my little problem. On the Adobe website I discovered the 'dngcodecinstaller_2.0', which did the trick, everything works fine now!

http://www.adobe.com:80/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5495&fileID=5491

The Link is ivalid.
Any new idea?

Don't like another aditional compression runnung M246 DNG through the DNG Converter.