Yellow Vests, violent riots in France

Laurentß

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Thank you.

About contrast, you mean something like this?

Or is it too much?

• Like 3

Great shots, but I am sad like hell to see my home town in fire. ... 😥

I used to live a few steps from Champs-Élysées and makes me sick to see such destruction to my neighborhood. I am well aware of some ill faithed groups and parties always making such troubles; I have seen them in action and I know that every  excuse is good for them for such acts.

All I hope at this moment is to see the “reason” prevail...... 😫

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Than you very much Reini

Louis, I was also born and raised in Paris. I lived rue de Berry for a while...

Now, I live abroad as well. France is in bad shape for sure.

Actually, these photos were taken in Toulouse, last week-end. Things were really bad over there (50 cops injured).

Here is one more pic I like

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Laurentß said:

Thank you.

About contrast, you mean something like this?

Or is it too much?

Yes, I think the subject merits more dramatic tonality.

1 hour ago, Laurentß said:

Than you very much Reini

Louis, I was also born and raised in Paris. I lived rue de Berry for a while...

Now, I live abroad as well. France is in bad shape for sure.

Actually, these photos were taken in Toulouse, last week-end. Things were really bad over there (50 cops injured).

Here is one more pic I like

Laurent, we may have  been almost neighbors... I was mentioning Champs Elysees; referring to the news we see here, in the US. My heart bleed when I see these images from every where in France. Good job, my friend; but be careful. I know this kind of people and all they are interested in is "destruction"!

At thattime there were buses everywhere and each had about 20 police men. We were in Paris for our „Matur“ travel and we saw all that. Under the Arc de Triumph a class mate was arrested then, but released after 5 minutes. So I am aware of all of that too. But today I read german, swiss and UK newspapers to better understand the modern background. Eveything is very complex and not so evident.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

I lived in Paris in '68, so I know about the riots and confrontations with the police back then - but the whole "revolution" of that year had not a fraction of this destructiveness.

I tell ya! Kids nowadays!

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

Yes, I think the subject merits more dramatic tonality.

Hello Laurent,

Welcome to the Forum.

Nice photos of a less than nice situation.

I disagree about the added contrast. I think that part of appropriate coverage is to NOT editorialize with the photos: I think that adjusting the photos to add emphasis to them in 1 direction or the other is not appropriate & doing so takes away from the honesty of the photos.

Photographing things as they are & printing them as they were when you photographed them would be my direction.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

13 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Photographing things as they are & printing them as they were 

I do not recall that 1968 reality was monochrome, and it still is not.

Edited by pico
  • Thanks 1

Hello Pico,

Thank you for pointing that out.

I have never understood why early photographic images in black & white (Which was utilized because the photographers making them did not have access to films that accurately recorded colors in a satisfactory manner.) are sometimes considered to be more "realistic" than equivalent photos of the same scene done in color. 

Curious.

Best Regards,

Michael

16 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

I have never understood why early photographic images in black & white (Which was utilized because the photographers making them did not have access to films that accurately recorded colors in a satisfactory manner.) are sometimes considered to be more "realistic" than equivalent photos of the same scene done in color.

Speaking only for myself, my color work in Europe in the Sixties always disappointed me and I attribute that first to my choice of economical color negative film, and my incompetence with Kodachrome. Later and then for years I enjoyed the work of a friend who was a National Geographic photographer who had the most color-critical eye I knew. I'm still not good with color.

Edited by pico