Fuji GFX vs SL

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, frame-it said:

the quality and dynamic range of the GFX files is incredible.

I don't get this. This is an SL and Leica forum. Why all the talk and gushing about the GFX? Isn't there a Fuji forum? I can't believe that Fuji has left its buyers to just wander around Leica, Nikon, and Hasselblad forums. 

Edited by Agent M10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Agent M10 said:

I don't get this. This is an SL and Leica forum. Why all the talk and gushing about the GFX? Isn't there a Fuji forum? I can't believe that Fuji has left its buyers to just wander around Leica, Nikon, and Hasselblad forums. 

ask the OP why he created this thread.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Agent M10 said:

Because we are comparing the Fuji to the SL. Should we ignore all other brands? Delete all threads about Sony product? 

The forum is about photography with Leica product. It would not be complete without comparisons to other other products. It would be useless if we only compared Leica to lesser product. It is good for everyone to have honest and open discussions of available systems, even if to the detriment of Leica. Eventually, this feedback gets to Leica and their marketing and engineering departments should use it to enhance their products and increase the value and benefits of using Leica systems.

If reading about the Fuji upsets you, don't click on the thread... 

Edited by Brian C in Az
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Agent M10 said:

For someone like myself who is looking to dip his toes back into FF (or larger) after an absence of around 4 years this is one of the more useful threads.

If Leica ever get around to announcing the SL2 (Dr. Kaufmann mentioned it in an interview with Kevin Raber as long ago as last summer) then this thread may fizzle out... 😀

Over to you, Leica ! 🤔

• Like 1

Am 3.1.2019 um 10:58 schrieb rob_w:

Just wondering, is there an adapter for using M lenses on the GFX and if so, how do they perform?

I had some RAWs to develop from client shot with 28 summicron and another WA M-lens on his GFX. The center quite good but to the borders they lost their sharpness and of course they had strong vignetting because of build for smaller sensor (image circle). I had to crop or fix the corners in post. I wont buy a GFX with the intention to use my M- Lenses.
Some of the R-Lenses should have larger image circle, but that´s only rumored i can not proof this...

3 hours ago, frame-it said:

thanks..i usually re-visit locations when i get new cameras [for comparisons]...that window looks into the kitchen of a tiny Japanese restaurant..its my M5/800ASA favorite

Congratulations on the GFX!  Just curious as to your thoughts on the speed on AF, and ability to take the 'next' shot.  I will look for your posts on GetDPI.

Have you compared it to the S007?

Rob

• Like 2

3 hours ago, frame-it said:

ask the OP why he created this thread.

The OP said, "Well we have had the SL v Hasselblad X1D topic, but I don't see one to compare with the Fuji GFX system (which uses the same Sony sensor)."

I get that. What I don't get is people not comparing the GFX at all, but posting advertorials of images or just plain gushing about the system without any reference at all to the SL. What does mounting an M lens on a GFX have to do with anything with the OP's question? 

1 hour ago, Agent M10 said:

What does mounting an M lens on a GFX have to do with anything with the OP's question? 

SInce M lenses are often mounted on SL why would it not make sense to ask about how well they work on GFX (in the thread specifically created to compare GFX to SL)? And especially on the Leica forum where people who may purchase GFX (hopefully in addition to Leica) possibly already have some M lenses?

• Like 1

Also, many have mounted Zeiss Otus and Milvus lenses on the GFX and since they are FF lenses, that leads naturally to the question of "Will my Leica lens also work on the GFX?"

The answer to that is the image circle from the 50mm lens has slight vignetting in the last 2 mm of frame, so you can simply crop the image. The wide angle lenses have more vignetting and the 85mm and large have almost none. If you take the worst case scenario of shooting a 16mm FF lens, you can simply crop the image approximately 2 mm each side and still have a larger image than FF with higher pixel count and better (?) dynamic range (according to most opinions).

I think the GFXr is aimed directly at the M Leica crowd as well as anyone that wants larger than FF. The only weakness is trying to shoot sports, it is not a sports camera; but then neither is the M. Or SL. Or CL. Or S........

Edited by Brian C in Az
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ropo54 said:

Congratulations on the GFX!  Just curious as to your thoughts on the speed on AF, and ability to take the 'next' shot.  I will look for your posts on GetDPI.

Have you compared it to the S007?

Rob

thanks...the AF speed is very good..as far as taking the next shot goes its not as fast like a canon 5Dxx, but after testing it on the street, i found that i can easily use it for street photography, but in a more controlled way..which is good as one can focus on quality not quantity

the images are super sharp...and the shadow/highlight details are amazing.

will try an M lens adapter when i have more time with the 90APO and 50 1.4

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian C in Az said:

I think the GFXr is aimed directly at the M Leica crowd as well as anyone that wants larger than FF. The only weakness is trying to shoot sports, it is not a sports camera; but then neither is the M. Or SL. Or CL. Or S........

I believe the 50R was a response to the X1D due to size and thus used the rangefinder design Fujifilm has had success with to make it more competitive. 

As for the SL, it definitely can shoot sports and quite well. I’ve used it quite extensively to shoot a series involving car racing, drifting challenges etc.  While the native Leica glass is limited in terms of focal length, when you max out the burst mode on it you can capture fast action without issues. It’s just the weight of the system with the 90-280 for example that will make shooting difficult handheld for long periods of time. 

I really can't understand the compulsion (and this applies all thread categories) to try and use lenses on a body for which they were never intended ..... and then being surprised by the deficiencies and issues that result. Ok, sometimes they work well and may be a financial necessity, but buying a very expensive camera body and then not getting the appropriately designed lenses to use on it strikes me as daft. 

Even using R and M lenses on the SL .... for which compatibility was designed, give a sub-optimal experience and some compromises. Presumably L Mount Sigma and Panasonic lenses will be designed to function optimally on the SL as well as the other available L mount bodies. 

Nothing against MF, Fuji or Hasselblad, but trying to shoehorn Leica (or other) lenses onto them strikes me as a bit counterproductive in the pursuit of higher quality images ...... which is the whole point of changing format, isn't it ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1