Fuji GFX vs SL

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 1.1.2019 um 16:15 schrieb Brian C in Az:

It's a shame that Leica won't consider a 4:3 or 5:4 sensor in the SL. I find that I crop almost every image from 3:2 to one of those formats. We would end up with a more usable sensor size with less waste. There really is no reason or need to stay with 35mm film dimensions in a digital product. The image circle is round, why waste so much of it by using a long rectangular sensor? A square sensor or 4:3 /5:4 sensor makes much more sense. Printing paper is closer to those dimensions than they are to 35mm. Most people find the 4:3/5:4 formats more pleasing to the eye than 35mm. Sometimes, German engineers can be so stubborn...;)

I think it is a matter of taste and historical habits. Me and most people that i know like the 2:3 more than 4:3 or 4:5.
Our Printing papers in Filmtime were closer to 2:3 than to 3:4. Although other formats could be ordered
That is and was here in Germany. I do not know how it was in contries with imperial measurements and other paperformats.
In Film times i liked the 6x9cm and 24x36mm more then the 6x7 or 6x6. They are too squarish for my taste. And the human field of view seems more horizontal than square.
I think it is more a matter of taste and historical grown habits what one likes.
If Leica would make a 36x28mm SL, me and a lot of friends will have to crop the short side 4mm to have a format that pleases.
At the end of the day no engineer can design a camera that all photographers will like....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tgdinamo said:

What is most surprising to me is how much GFX 50R (my first Fuji) actually resembles Leica experience. It has the same physical controls as my Q (including ISO access via button rather then dial), and while it does have all those buttons people have mentioned, what is nice is that most of them are not labeled and can be completely turned off. I actually first set up my new camera that way (to avoid feeling that I'm using one of Sony computer cameras), but then decided that there is nothing wrong to assign few of those buttons to get physical access to essential photography functions like spot metering and focusing options. 50R actually makes it easier to get access to these functions then even my Leica Q (where I have to go into menu to make those types of changes).

nice guide for the menus..https://www.prophotonut.com/2018/10/24/fujifilm-gfx50s-and-gfx50r-settings-and-30000-frame-review/

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, frame-it said:

I never shot Fuji but interface, both physical and menu looks straight forward.

I notice Fuji has, under Image quality Setting page 2/3, Long Exposure NR [noise reduction] control in the menu, good luck getting that one from Leica. 

GFX50r + G63mm

night/ISO 2000

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

GFX50r + G63mm

night/ISO 8000

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 2

GFX50r + G63mm

• Like 3

GFX50r + G63mm

• Like 3

GFX50r + G63mm

• Like 2