Fuji GFX vs SL

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, vortex said:

Before spreading inexact informations to all of us,  you should inform yourself about the product!

And if 15 buttons overrun your capability to handle, that's your problem!

@vortex mate I’m entitled to my own opinion and will not be lectured by you to what I WANT say on this forum. Don’t tell me what I should ... If you read my words more carefully, I clearly said I held the body in the shop. I also used the verb “felt” if you know what it means: purely based on my personal impression over a fleeting moment. Couldn’t care less how insulted you may get by not informing myself about the product before you read my post. I’m really mad at people who just can’t take any other opinion than theirs 😡

Edited by meerec
Emoji added
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/30/2018 at 2:00 AM, meerec said:

[snip]...

This thing is made entirely of plastic, and has no heft to it whatsoever.

[snip]....

I’m not saying it’s totally bad, the new materials (plastics) are sometimes harder than steel. 

The body is magnesium alloy, which is a metal, about half the weight of aluminum.

Jeff

Some people get a big kick out of using all the buttons on their camera and others don't - I'm firmly in the camp of I don't know what the buttons do and I don't want to know any more than how do I adjust shutter speed/aperture ISO and exposure compensation. Simplicity isn't the transference of these basic functions into a menu and its GUI. The SL's 4 buttons are not an elegant design as far as I am concerned- because I have to remember what button does this or that or the other thing. Much prefer lockable dials and a menu I hardly have to refer to. Fuji is by farthe best user interface as far as I am concerned - old school no smarty pants Iphone swiping  touching prodding  hipster gobbledegook😀

Edited by PeterGA
  • Like 3

vor einer Stunde schrieb meerec:

@vortex mate I’m entitled to my own opinion and will not be lectured by you to what I WANT say on this forum. Don’t tell me what I should ... If you read my words more carefully, I clearly said I held the body in the shop. I also used the verb “felt” if you know what it means: purely based on my personal impression over a fleeting moment. Couldn’t care less how insulted you may get by not informing myself about the product before you read my post. I’m really mad at people who just can’t take any other opinion than theirs 😡

This thing is made entirely of plastic, and has no heft to it whatsoever......

Sorry Dude, i a apologize 😳🙄🤪😂🤣😂

Edited by vortex

vor 12 Stunden schrieb vortex:

And if 15 buttons overrun your capability to handle, that's your problem!

Thanks for the facts, vortex. Good point on the magnesium alloy body. Meerec could have said ‘it felt plasticky’. On his 15 buttons overrun statement, you’re absolutely right, it’s meerec’s problem and he’s free to say so on this forum. So you seem to be in agreement with him on this point. It’s still good that you apologized, though. It makes for a more cordial atmosphere in this thread going forward. 

11 hours ago, mmradman said:

This is in addition to Vortex's post...

That is at least one (1) more than SL601, which has 14.  If i count battery release that would be total of 15.  

Obsession with hardware minimalism expressed by some Leica users is just that obsession.  Fuji dedicated conventional shutter and compensation dials are nice and functional touch.  Personally i am happy with either few or many buttons as long as optics attached to the camera+sensor delivers.

never realized the SL has 14 controls :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is most surprising to me is how much GFX 50R (my first Fuji) actually resembles Leica experience. It has the same physical controls as my Q (including ISO access via button rather then dial), and while it does have all those buttons people have mentioned, what is nice is that most of them are not labeled and can be completely turned off. I actually first set up my new camera that way (to avoid feeling that I'm using one of Sony computer cameras), but then decided that there is nothing wrong to assign few of those buttons to get physical access to essential photography functions like spot metering and focusing options. 50R actually makes it easier to get access to these functions then even my Leica Q (where I have to go into menu to make those types of changes).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tgdinamo said:

What is most surprising to me is how much GFX 50R (my first Fuji) actually resembles Leica experience. It has the same physical controls as my Q (including ISO access via button rather then dial), and while it does have all those buttons people have mentioned, what is nice is that most of them are not labeled and can be completely turned off. I actually first set up my new camera that way (to avoid feeling that I'm using one of Sony computer cameras), but then decided that there is nothing wrong to assign few of those buttons to get physical access to essential photography functions like spot metering and focusing options. 50R actually makes it easier to get access to these functions then even my Leica Q (where I have to go into menu to make those types of changes).

you can also set the iso to the dial around the shutter..i know as i bought the GFX50 R this morning :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, frame-it said:

you can also set the iso to the dial around the shutter..i know as i bought the GFX50 R this morning :)

Congratulations!

For my needs the head says GFX 50R + the 23 mm and 32-64 mm lenses, my heart says Leica SL + the 16-35 mm SL lens to get me started. Luckily I can wait and see what else turns up in Q1/Q2 of 2019.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Brian C in Az said:

It's a shame that Leica won't consider a 4:3 or 5:4 sensor in the SL. I find that I crop almost every image from 3:2 to one of those formats. We would end up with a more usable sensor size with less waste. There really is no reason or need to stay with 35mm film dimensions in a digital product. The image circle is round, why waste so much of it by using a long rectangular sensor? A square sensor or 4:3 /5:4 sensor makes much more sense. Printing paper is closer to those dimensions than they are to 35mm. Most people find the 4:3/5:4 formats more pleasing to the eye than 35mm.

I’m one of those that also find 4:3/5:4 much more pleasing than 35mm. It simply looks better proportioned on a wall, imho. 

Funnily enough, in the latest LFI magazine, there are several portfolios this month that are taken with digital M and SL cameras that are cropped into 5x4 or even square, given the photographers said they prefer that format.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bob Andersson said:

Congratulations!

For my needs the head says GFX 50R + the 23 mm and 32-64 mm lenses, my heart says Leica SL + the 16-35 mm SL lens to get me started. Luckily I can wait and see what else turns up in Q1/Q2 of 2019.

well i have the SL already..sold the 5DSR and 70-200 etc etc

got only the 63mm.. f2.8 for now.

Edited by frame-it

32 minutes ago, tgdinamo said:

since i have the X-H1 already..the 50R took just a few minutes to setup

46 minutes ago, Bob Andersson said:

Congratulations!

SL + 16-35 // just bought the lens // is my go-to setup for the upcoming trip to Iceland and Lofoten 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, frame-it said:

never realized the SL has 14 controls :)

This is the thing, i don't consider myself Leica die hard but when somebody mentioned how Leica cameras are simple and perfect and all others are over complicated lets count the buttons.  It turns out that SL has user interface not million miles away from the next competitor.  As every electronic appliance there is some sort of On-Off switch, rest of camera controls are combination of hardware and menu options.   We can discuss brand specific aesthetics of buttons but they are all there. 

Before anyone say how Leica produced back to basic stripped down M10D basic camera it actually require smart phone as control interface to be fully set up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Excluding ON/OFF switch and shutter button, the SL has 11 controls (counting the joystick as 1, and the rear dial as 1).
On the same basis the GFX50R seems to have 19. I'm judging purely from internet photos - I've never held it.

SL601 controls, knobs, leavers etc:-

2 controls at front, includes lens release

4 controls at top plate, includes shutter release

8 control at the rear

1 battery release at the bottom.

M240P/246

Total of 15 controls

As a comparison my old Nikon D700 (DSLR) which is very much hardware settable and includes built-in flash

6 at the front plus two flash sockets

5 at the top

14 at rear

I actually omitted diopter adjustment on SL, one on D700 is included. 

Edited by mmradman
Include M240 & D700 comparison

Controls, physical buttons/dials, or actions per button/dial?
Yes, it depends how you count them - you can make the numbers bigger or smaller, depending on the point one wishes to make!
I prefer a minimum number of physical buttons/dials/pads, and a minimum number of labels on them (allowing me to set them up as I wish and rely on muscle memory to put my fingers in the right place). By those criteria Leica controls are simple and suit my needs, and I hope they keep to that simplicity. 
If you want fixed, clearly labelled buttons for all the main parameters and dials that to look at and see how they're set, then this will not suit you - more buttons and dials will be what you want - I don't like this approach, but I don't have a problem with other people's wants.

The one camera where I think Leica has cut it down too much is the CL - it needs one more customisable button IMO.

Edited by LocalHero1953

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The one camera where I think Leica has cut it down too much is the CL - it needs one more customisable button IMO.

Nice to find someone else agrees with my initial (and unchanged) opinion ..... the CL is one button short and paradoxically makes it more complicated to use rather than less. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

Nice to find someone else agrees with my initial (and unchanged) opinion ..... the CL is one button short and paradoxically makes it more complicated to use rather than less. 

With dials set to any two of aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation (for any of A, S and M modes), I want two more quick access controls - ISO and User Profile - but there's only the one Fn button.

• Like 1