Jump to content
Topsy

M240 for Landscapes

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I am an M9 user but of late I have been seriously thinking of getting an M240 (M-P) to use for landscapes. I am not concerned with the differences in file output but what I am interested in is any advice you can give with regard to using filters. With my M9s I find filter use (Grads, Polarisers) at best inconvenient at worst downright annoying I am thinking that with the Live View on the M240 it will be easy to judge effect of filters I'm even thinking of adding the EVF for more convenience.

So any advice/comments on your experiences on the use of filters with the M240 would be greatly appreciated. I should add that for "serious" Landscapes I do have the Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format system the 240 would be for when I travel light but still want to be able to do landscapes as well as travel style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not a GFX 50R?  Roughly same weight and size as an M (without need for accessory EVF), less cost and compatible with the rest of your kit.

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Why not a GFX 50R?  Roughly same weight and size as an M (without need for accessory EVF), less cost and compatible with the rest of your kit.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff, I don't want to appear ungracious in my reply but I did ask for specific advice from the experiences of those using filters with the M240.

To answer your question why not the 50R? 

The reason for thinking M240 is for the live view is so I can get easy use of filters when doing landscapes on my travels when I only pack the smaller Leica setup. If I were to have to take my GF Lenses and Lee 100 Filter set I am just as well taking my 50S rather than buy a less capable camera. Its not the weight of the bodies that makes the GFX system a large kit. Also the EVF for the M240 is a tilting EVF so I could use it upright for those low angle shots, much the same as the tilting adapter I have on my 50S which is not an option for the 50R. Finally, I am not thinking of a new 240 so the cost of a 50R would be more than the 240 especially given that my Lightroom is the last stand-alone version which supports M 240 DNGs and 50S RAW files but not 50R RAW files so I would need to go to subscription based Lightroom or change my PP Software. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The M(240) works fine with Lee SevenFive filters. Using the Visoflex, it is very clear where a graduated filter lies on the image. The Viso also makes the sweet spot of a polarising filter clear.

As you say, the tilt function of the EVF is very useful for landscape/filters work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pedaes said:

The M(240) works fine with Lee SevenFive filters. Using the Visoflex, it is very clear where a graduated filter lies on the image. The Viso also makes the sweet spot of a polarising filter clear.

As you say, the tilt function of the EVF is very useful for landscape/filters work.

Thanks, that's good news as it is the Seven5 I am intending to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only filter – other than UV– that I occasionally use with either my M9 or MP240 is an old stye Leica Universal Polarizer. That is super easy to use. The only issue is that it does not fit my new 50 Summicron; it does fit my new 35 Summicron and my 90 Macro-Elmar. I do not know if their new Universal Polarizer fits lenses with integrated lens hoods, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jean-Michel said:

The only filter – other than UV– that I occasionally use with either my M9 or MP240 is an old stye Leica Universal Polarizer. That is super easy to use. The only issue is that it does not fit my new 50 Summicron; it does fit my new 35 Summicron and my 90 Macro-Elmar. I do not know if their new Universal Polarizer fits lenses with integrated lens hoods, etc.

The clever system designed for film M's and the M9 is not necessary with Live View, as the effect of the filter can be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jean-Michel said:

The only filter – other than UV– that I occasionally use with either my M9 or MP240 is an old stye Leica Universal Polarizer. That is super easy to use. The only issue is that it does not fit my new 50 Summicron; it does fit my new 35 Summicron and my 90 Macro-Elmar. I do not know if their new Universal Polarizer fits lenses with integrated lens hoods, etc.

 

48 minutes ago, pedaes said:

The clever system designed for film M's and the M9 is not necessary with Live View, as the effect of the filter can be seen.

Thanks for the replies. How does this work? If I could see the effect of a polariser it could save me a lot of angst. Can you point me in the direction of info or even where to get one from?

Edit, I found one on eBay it looks easy to figure out. I suppose you polarise by eye before fitting it then fit it on to the lens already polarised?

Edited by Topsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Use the EVF or Liveview.

Thanks Jaapv but at the moment I only have M9s so no live view. That's why I am looking at M240/M-P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the M9 you can find a number of work-arounds without using the Leica holder. One is by looking at exposure redings with/without polariising effect, as polariser will drop exposure by a couple of stops. I have also marked the two parts with a dot and set the filter off the camera and then replicated the setting on the lens. Remember effect is greatest at 90degrees to sun direction.But soooo much easier with EVF as jaapv said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pedaes said:

With the M9 you can find a number of work-arounds without using the Leica holder. One is by looking at exposure redings with/without polariising effect, as polariser will drop exposure by a couple of stops. I have also marked the two parts with a dot and set the filter off the camera and then replicated the setting on the lens. Remember effect is greatest at 90degrees to sun direction.But soooo much easier with EVF as jaapv said.

Thanks, I agree there are workarounds which for landscape are probably not detrimental. I also have the Lee Seven5 Polariser which can be used in the same way as the Leica one but the holder blocks a lot of the image when fitted. Live view is certainly easier, but at a cost. Grads on the other hand are more difficult.

Edited by Topsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Topsy I think it is definitely time for you to trade in the M9 for an M240 or M240-P.

M240s and their variants are much cheaper since the M10 series was released. EVFs like the Olympus version are a great addition at fairly low cost.

You won't look back. Good luck and enjoy the fun of a new camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Peter Kilmister said:

@Topsy I think it is definitely time for you to trade in the M9 for an M240 or M240-P.

M240s and their variants are much cheaper since the M10 series was released. EVFs like the Olympus version are a great addition at fairly low cost.

You won't look back. Good luck and enjoy the fun of a new camera.

Now there's the thing, I am not looking to trade my M9s just get an M-P to add to my travel everywhere kit and get easier interface for landscapes. I love my M9s but the workarounds are taking the edge off the shooting experience. I have my eye on both M240-P and an EVF and I can see me pulling the trigger before long. I quite fancy a faff free filter experience for those times I want to shoot a landscape but don't have my GFX with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, live view on either the back screen or EVF makes it easy to see the effect of any filter; and the M240 or P is a great camera. As for the M9, which is an equally great camera, there is no way to preview the effect. The old style universal polarizer works like this: you attach the combination filter and lens hood to your lens, to set the polarizer position you flip the filter/hood 180 degrees, rotate the filter to the amount of polarization you want as you look through the filter, flip the combination back and shoot. Easier to do than describe. I was able to buy one for about $100; but the new style one is much more expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case long exposures are relevant for your landscapes, you should be aware of M240 limitations (different than M9)....

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Topsy,    Pedaes's post #4 IMO is the best answer.  When I used the M240, the Lee Seven5 filter system with EVF was excellent for landscape work.  When my M10-P arrives, I will be using the same solution again for long-distance hiking and landscape photography.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Topsy

 

The M-P (typ 240) is my pick.  Really great having the sapphire screen, and fast buffer.

 

Oh...and you get video for the occassions you might want it.

 

...

Edited by david strachan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Topsy,

You're spot on with the move to M240 for landscape.  While on a tripod the back lcd is often my choice to compose and shoot, if glare is present I use the visoflex.   Some use the rather largish rear lcd magnifiers.  Grad nd have always been a challenge despite live view and visoflex, it is not easy (for me) to see the grad lines, soft more difficult than hard.  When I don't have the grads I find the DR is normally good enough to raise the shadows, in extreme cases HDR multiple exposures work well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Topsy said:

Hi all, I am an M9 user but of late I have been seriously thinking of getting an M240 (M-P) to use for landscapes. I am not concerned with the differences in file output but what I am interested in is any advice you can give with regard to using filters. With my M9s I find filter use (Grads, Polarisers) at best inconvenient at worst downright annoying I am thinking that with the Live View on the M240 it will be easy to judge effect of filters I'm even thinking of adding the EVF for more convenience.

So any advice/comments on your experiences on the use of filters with the M240 would be greatly appreciated. I should add that for "serious" Landscapes I do have the Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format system the 240 would be for when I travel light but still want to be able to do landscapes as well as travel style.

Let me suggest something many may not agree with. Keep M9. Even if it has no LV, you have instant feedback on LCD. You can keep adjusting your filter based on playback. If you are happy with M9 then keep it.

(disclaimer: I moved from M9 to M240 four years ago and it is indeed better in many ways. However, when I look at my landscape pics with M9 then I would have been perfectly happy with it. For LV/EVF work there are better mirrorless cameras around. Btw, I still have M240 but it sees very little use. M9 would have been sufficient.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×