M240 for Landscapes

Topsy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Topsy said:

Thanks Jaapv but at the moment I only have M9s so no live view. That's why I am looking at M240/M-P.

In that case use two filters, put a mark on the edge at the same polarizing angle - some filters are marked already. Put one on your lens, look through the other, note the position on the rim and rotate the one on the camera to the same position. Otherwise, of course, use the Leica swing-out one. It is even possible to use one filter and deduce the position of maximum extinction by the exposure meter.

4 hours ago, jmahto said:

Let me suggest something many may not agree with. Keep M9. Even if it has no LV, you have instant feedback on LCD. You can keep adjusting your filter based on playback. If you are happy with M9 then keep it.

(disclaimer: I moved from M9 to M240 four years ago and it is indeed better in many ways. However, when I look at my landscape pics with M9 then I would have been perfectly happy with it. For LV/EVF work there are better mirrorless cameras around. Btw, I still have M240 but it sees very little use. M9 would have been sufficient.)

That's definitely an option I am considering. I like the universal polariser option and mos of the time grads in Lightroom will do the trick it's just I grew up on film and like to get it right in camera as best I can. The other thing is I am a bit afraid I will fall in love with the M-P and look less favorably on my M9s.............

8 hours ago, Jeff S said:

In case long exposures are relevant for your landscapes, you should be aware of M240 limitations (different than M9)....

Jeff

Thanks for the heads up I'll check this out.

Edit, just read the thread, it seems to be all about either remote firing on timer or higher ISO shooting with cable release.Do you know how long the B setting will keep the shutter open at base ISO with cable release (thinking of softening ripples in water)?

Edited by Topsy

3 hours ago, darylgo said:

Btw- turn off live view before exposing the image, the live view exposure sequence creates blurred images with shutters closing and opening.  

This adds an extra step and is easy if tripod mounted, the results are worth it.  

Thanks for the tip.

2 hours ago, Topsy said:

Thanks for the heads up I'll check this out.

Edit, just read the thread, it seems to be all about either remote firing on timer or higher ISO shooting with cable release.Do you know how long the B setting will keep the shutter open at base ISO with cable release (thinking of softening ripples in water)?

B setting longest time is 60 seconds for M(type 240) at 200 ISO, then 32s for 400 ISO, etc..

A tip,

when the M240 is on and cap on the lens in "A" mode, the flashing number indicates for the ISO setting the longest time 😉.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

B setting longest time is 60 seconds for M(type 240) at 200 ISO, then 32s for 400 ISO, etc..

A tip,

when the M240 is on and cap on the lens in "A" mode, the flashing number indicates for the ISO setting the longest time 😉.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the responses, clearly the M240 is a lot easier to use filters etc for landscapes. I am now a bit on the fence as I don't want to get to the situation where I have a 240 and start to like it more than my M9s.......... No one can help me with that either.

Hi Topsy  I agree M9 is great. Also agree that adding graduated filter in LR is a good option and often more accurate. In LR you also have brush option for use where you don't want a straight line which is all you get with a filter at the angle you choose. That really just leaves the polariser which effect you cannot recreate in LR as you know.

I don't agree you can see the effect of any filter on the M9's screen, it just isn't that great. However, polariser is not difficult to use, either /and using both the method of dots jaapv and myself mentioned together with looking for the increase in exposure time which is quite obvious when the filter is at maximum effect. Remember the filter will be 'set' twice in a 360 deg sweep, once and again at 180 deg to its  setting.

My two pence is keep M9, get a quality pol filter and practice with it. It really isn't at all difficult to set it correctly. I use mine on M9 with a cheapo screw in hood on front of filter which makes life a bit easier.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS I still have my M9 and would never sell it - for all its imperfections I love it dearly. I could not bond with M240, but M10 is a whole different ball game so suggest also you hold off for one.

• Like 1

Some landscape shot with the M240. Some with a Lee Seven 5 Filters: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Some more:

• Like 4

Hi all, thanks for those of you who have offered your advice it has helped me decide.

My decision is to pass up the M240/MP and work on getting polarising right. I will keep my M9s because I love them so much but when they eventually fail I will replace them with the M10 or whatever variant is current at the time of the M9s demise.

Again, thank you all for your engagement, happy shooting.

One from my M9 which had a medium grad on (took several attempts).

Edited by Topsy
  • Like 2