Mark ashfield

Landscape lens

13 hours ago, Mark ashfield said:

Hi folks , what is the best lens for landscape work on my m6.regards mark.

If I needed another lens on my M6 to work with a 50mm for shooting landscapes, I would consider the following lenses (in order of priority):

28mm

24mm

21mm

35mm

2 hours ago, Narsuitus said:

If I needed another lens on my M6 to work with a 50mm for shooting landscapes, I would consider the following lenses (in order of priority):

28mm

24mm

21mm

35mm

+1 AND + 50mm 

43 minutes ago, astrostl said:

21mm for life here. You can start with a CV 21/4 or the new 21/3.5, and move along to the 21/3.4 SEM.

Have you seen any reports on the new CV 21/3.5?

Please don't forget how wonderful the Telyt APO 135mm is for landscape photography where the object is some distance away.  Probably not much use in a close-knit urban environment but excellent once the air is pure in the countryside where, let's face it, the best landscapes/seascapes are to be found.

That said, in London, Paris, Lisbon, Porto, Budapest, or any city on a major river there are good opportunities to use a 135mm lens.

In recent years 'landscape lens' has just been a way to say 'a lens that gets as much of what's in front of me into the photo in one shot before I move on to the next guidebook designated viewing point.'

It used to be any lens that helped you make a point about the landscape, helped your opinion and creativity to come across. The trouble much of the time with super wide lenses is that while you may see a detail and you photograph it others looking at the photo won't necessarily put as much relevance to it, and telling them what to look for is cheating. As an example of good practice even in the most subtle Adams landscape he's framed it to make it utterly clear what you should be looking at and without any ambiguity. That is what a landscape lens does.

So as a starting point, and generally speaking of course, if everything in the landscape ends up having equal prominence what you've done is make a postcard. If you've picked one thing out or created a dramatic viewpoint using the rule of thirds or the golden section, you've made a better postcard. If it's clear you were excited about something and the viewer can easily share this, you've created a photograph. That is how to choose a landscape lens.

There is an ultra wide angle thread in the m lenses section. Maybe look there and see if you like those ultra wide angle landscapes.

Alternatively how about starting a landscape photos thread?

As people have shown you, any lens can be a landscape lens, to some extent what you want dictates what to use. Or sometimes what you have dictates what you look for in the scene. However, I gravitate personally to 50mm and 35mm. I have a wider lens but almost never use it, but that's me. Having decided that (somewhat arbitrarily based on personal taste) my bank balance dictated which Leica lens to buy. The best I could afford at the time was the 35/2 ASPH and the 50/2 (pre ASPH). Both great lenses and somewhat bargain priced at the time (though they seem to have gone up). I'm always tempted by 28mm and 24mm but I'm held back by the knowledge that I almost never feel I need or want a really wide angle. I am more tempted by the Leica 90s, maybe even the 90/2 APO, though it's both pricey and heavy. Anyway, that's what I think. Good luck with your decision.

It depends on the scene you are trying to capture. Everything that has previously been said is correct. There is no one perfect lens for landscapes.For M lenses I like my 28 f 2.8, 35 f 1.4 asph and my summilux 75 f 1.4.

Posted (edited)

how about a 90mm...https://richardnlipow.com/grand-canyon

the b&w is a 90

the pano was obtained with a 35lux fle

it's a matter of perspective, my WATE would have not captured the majesty of the scene that the 90apo was able to record...

match the lens to the task

Edited by rnl

On 12/7/2018 at 8:38 AM, Mark ashfield said:

Hi folks , what is the best lens for landscape work on my m6.regards mark.

I would say the photographer's feet.  They can makeup the difference between many of the lens focal lengths mentioned.

My hardware preference is 21mm.  Next would be walking.

When I scan back through the various files I have captured with my M digital cameras, the one lens that tends to stick out as capturing the most enjoyable images, from a sharpness across the field standpoint, is the 24mm f3.8 Elmar ASPH. It's one wicked sharp lens and can be shot straight into the sun with no nasty flare issues.

When I utilize my other outfit, an Olympus E-M1 Mark II setup, the standard zoom starts at a 24mm equivalent and pretty consistently a large portion of images I capture with that lens are in the 24-26mm equivalent range. It's just a focal length that "clicks" with the way I frame subjects. The 24mm f3.8 is what I have mounted on my M262 now, in an Artisan & Artist bag with three other lenses, the 18mm f3.8 Super Elmar, 35mm f2 ASPH and 75mm f2 APO.

M262 and 24mm f3.8..

Edited by Gregm61

On 12/7/2018 at 5:46 PM, PaulJohn said:

35mm Summarit

Ignore anyone else - this is the correct answer :)

But the question is incorrect. First thing to ask is "what is a landscape"?

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Ernstk:

Most of my landscapes are shot with my 21/2.8 Elmarit or my 35 'Lux pre-aspherical.

Similar to me ...
I mostly take my Ultron 1.7/35 and the SEM 3.4/21 for Landscape, but it depends on the situation that there is not the one and only lens for landscape

SEM 21

14 hours ago, ianman said:

..... "what is a landscape"?

Bit of a chicken and egg because its subject matter at a long distance away which can be used to take images of with a landscape lens.

Actually in the early days of photography lenses were marketed as 'landscape' lenses. They usually had quite a narrow field of view. But definitions, if they ever really existed, change and most lenses to day are so good that they can be used in all sorts of ways. Setting aside those lenses which are difficult to continuously use for landscapes (fisheyes, ultra-wides and long lenses - which can of course be used with care), then most lenses are usable for landscapes. The ones I would avoid are those with wavy and uncorrected distortions which give odd effects on flat horizons, otherwise its personal choice.

3 hours ago, pgk said:

Bit of a chicken and egg because its subject matter at a long distance away which can be used to take images of with a landscape lens.

I've read (with great difficulty) that sentence twice and have no idea what point you are trying to make.

38 minutes ago, wattsy said:

I've read (with great difficulty) that sentence twice and have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Exactly:D.