Leitz EPIS 1000mm f3.5 lens 20x24 inch LF camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

See Page 4 Post No. 67 in above link 

dunk 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ambro51 said:

well you get a good dose of Bokeh.   Depth of field with no iris is very thin.

True, but if you put in washer stops or Waterhouse stops you could increase the depth of field. I know that Tony has a platform built on top of his car for large format work, but I presume that this one is so big that it will be confined to a studio for portrait work.

William

1 hour ago, willeica said:

True, but if you put in washer stops or Waterhouse stops you could increase the depth of field. I know that Tony has a platform built on top of his car for large format work, but I presume that this one is so big that it will be confined to a studio for portrait work.

William

Await advice from Tony ref Waterhouse stops … he does use them but not sure if used with this particular EPIS 1000/3.5 lens which is still a work in progress. When finished will be possible to use outside as Tony now has a 'horse box' portable darkroom (towed by his Land Rover) which will also accommodate any LF camera i.e. roll in and roll out.

This is one of Tony's smaller LF wet plate cameras in use  … the only image I have showing the portable/towable wet plate darkroom. Note supplementary Manfrotto 'long lens support' on tripod rear leg used to support the camera. Wet plates require processing immediately after exposure … and the plates are also prepared immediately before use. 

dunk  

• Like 1

A Land Rover! For the 'real deal' you need a horse drawn truck like the ones used by Carleton Watkins in Yosemite and Matthew Brady and Timothy O Sullivan during the American Civil War in the 1860s. Tell Tony that I will find him a few nice horses in Ireland.

William

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Experiencing problems loading images today and somehow lost the following Land Rover and 'horse box darkroom' photo posted earlier … thus reposting using 'choose file' option rather than 'drag'. 

This one I made a few years ago is 32x36 with a 8’ long bellows.  The lens is a Dallmeyer Process lens 40” FL.

• Like 2

It closed to a box, took 2 men to carry it around.  To the right is the focusing screen,  the two long poles had hooks at the end, you reached one underneath the bellows and hooked it to the front standard, giving push pull focusing.  The guy bought an RV to haul it around, and as a darkroom.  

On 12/6/2018 at 11:41 PM, Ambro51 said:

well you get a good dose of Bokeh.   Depth of field with no iris is very thin.

15 hours ago, willeica said:

William

Tony's answer; 

They should have said no iris, shallow depth of field 😊
No, to use this on wet plate I really need at least F4 but the shallow depth of field is part of the look. 
If I get my daylight studio extension built next year I may need to close it down, but I would probably fit Waterhouse stops.
I was planning on trying it on my 600mm Epis first..
Tony

dunk

A superb lens for him to use IF he wants absolutely perfect “landscape” images,, in focus corner to corner, is a single achromat.   With the recent influx of Chinese refractors, these lenses are plentiful.   I’d suggest a 3” or 4” diameter lens from F 12 to F 15.  A washer stop is needed in front of the lens, placed one lens diameter in front, with an opening 1/3 of the lens diameter.  The lens is ‘reversed’, so the convex side faces the plate.    While the aperature is small,  exposures for positives will be about 30-60 seconds.   ••••••  this lens will give “Ansel Adams” type of clarity and focus.......and Yes with 25 years doing Wet Plate and building cameras, I know what I’m talking about.

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2018 at 1:22 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

Experiencing problems loading images today and somehow lost the following Land Rover and 'horse box darkroom' photo posted earlier … thus reposting using 'choose file' option rather than 'drag'. 

Hi Dunk,

That looks very much like the 8x20 Korona I used to own; if it is I'm glad to see it in use still, there cannot be many in the UK. When I sold it it had three film DDS so Tony must have made a wetplate holder for it unless he is still using film with it.  My only wetplate camera now is a tiny (!) Whole plate size.

Susie

• Like 1

Hello Susie,  ^^^ Await Tony's advice as to if could be your former 8x20 Korona. And good to know that wet plate photography is a thriving science enjoyed by a growing number of enthusiasts. I recall someone has made a wet plate Leica using a modified Leica film camera.

dunk