Finally bought a digital Leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been a Leica user since I bought my M6 new in 1998.  Right after the M9 came out I ordered one, only to be told that delivery would be months away.  Like many others, I did not want to wait for a new camera, so I bought a Canon 5DMkII with a few L series lenses for the same price.  Needless to say, I was not happy with my purchase and sold it a few months later, and returned to shooting film again, both 35mm and 2 1/4.  

Recently B&H had the M240 priced too good for me to pass up, so I ordered one, it will be here tomorrow.  Needless to say, I am excited to finally get the digital M I've wanted for years.  I ordered the silver chrome version, although it does not match my black lens.  

I'm still shooting film, just developed no 2 of 5 rolls I shot on vacation this year.  I still work in the darkroom too, but I really wanted a full frame camera to simply my life.  On vacation this year I carried my Hasselblad, the M6, and a Pentax K3.  It will be nice to leave those home next year and just shoot the M240.   

Nice to finally post here again.

Wayne 

• Like 2

I agree with others who support your choice. 24 Megapixels will provide fantastic results without the need for chemicals. Lightroom is a great piece of software that is probably far more  powerful than waving things around in front of an enlarger in the dark.

Enjoy the experience and show us your output.

• Like 1

It arrived too late to really try it out, but I’m in love with a digital camera, something I never though I would say.  After a quick charge, enough to give me about 30 minutes of testing, I’m sold.  I’m mostly a B&W shooter, and setting the camera to B&W does a great job of reproducing the film look.  I got the MP version and I’m happy that it does not shout Leica.  Tomorrow I’m going to do some testing by re-shooting one of my favorite M6 shots with the new M.  I’ll post both of them when I’m done.  Thanks for the encouragement.  

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, too old to care said:

Thanks for the advice.  I’m used to working with DNG files in color, but not in B&W.  Actually, I never tried to shot raw in B&W because I normally use film.  I’ll try that tomorrow.  

Wayne

All you’ll get with .dng files is color. You’ll need to convert to black and white in post processing. Only the .jpeg is black and white if you’ve set the camera that way.

There are many good resources on the topic, books and video.  If you use Adobe software, Jeff Schewe’s books ‘The Digital Negative’ and ‘The Digital Print’ provide a good overview of the process and the underlying principles.  

Since the DNG is a color based file, b/w conversions can be enhanced through the use of color channels... and much more. More flexibility and convenience than one could have dreamed about with film, color filters and the darkroom.

Jeff

I've just starting playing with the M240, but here is my first test.  This photo was taken with a M6, 50mm F2 Summicron.  Exposure was 1/15 second, hand held.  Lens was wide open (f2).   Film was Plus X (ISO 125) developed in Rodinal at 50/1.  The negative was scanned on a Plustek scanner set at 3600 dpi.  I like the soft look of the shot, the narrow DOF, slightly out of focus due to the hand held long exposure.  The shadows of her ear covering her face.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by too old to care
  • Like 3

Had to log off, then back on to load the second image?  This is the second shot.  M240, same Summicron lens set at f2.  ISO set at 200, shutter speed set to auto (1/30 of a second).  The image is more in focus due to the faster shutter speed.  The image still has the film look, but not as much grain.  I know that I can add that in Adobe.  I like both images, but I leaning to the film shot more due to the softer look.  However, the M240 is a keeper.  So much easier than all the darkroom and scanning stuff.  That said, I'll keep my M6 and use it when I need the fix of the smell of fixer.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by too old to care
  • Like 3

@too old to care I like the m6 shot but the M240 shot is much, much better. Only my opinion, others may prefer the analogue shot. 

The great thing with digital is that you can play about with it in Lightroom as much as you like. 

P.S. Good looking doggie! Does it need a coat in Florida?

23 minutes ago, Peter Kilmister said:

@too old to care I like the m6 shot but the M240 shot is much, much better. Only my opinion, others may prefer the analogue shot. 

The great thing with digital is that you can play about with it in Lightroom as much as you like. 

P.S. Good looking doggie! Does it need a coat in Florida?

Thanks, I agree.  The film photo is better because she looks happer.  She was a bit concerned when I wanted to take the second photo. She is a rescue dog, and had been abused by her previous owners.  

Been cold here too, in the 30fs (0c) here in the morning.  Still, better than what they are getting up north.  

Wayne

@too old to care Blimey, 0C (30F) is seriously cold for the tropics. We have far higher temperatures in this temperate zone, but stormy at times. Mostly tail ends of hurricanes and tropical storms.

Please post more digital shots in the 'M240 etc pictures section' of the forum. Members will always be happy to comment.

Best wishes.