M10-D Using Non-Coded Lenses

CLstan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just collected my M10-D 3 weeks ago and found these posts very useful.

In my case, I have 2 6-bit coded lenses (Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH and Super-Elmar-M 1:3.8/18 ASPH) and one older non coded (Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/90 ASPH). 

The 6-bit lenses are detected fine by the M10-D, but the non coded 90mm one is detected as "R-Adapter M".

What I would like to see in the Fotos App under camera settings for the M10-D is the ability to select a default lens in the case of non detection. So instead of "R-Adapter M" I could set a default of Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/90 ASPH. I'd do this setting just once then I could interchange my lenses knowing that the EXIF data would always be correct. As it is, I have to look for "R-Adapter M" images in Lightroom, then apply an update to the EXIF data for these images (using the LensTagger exiftool). It's not too bad as I don't need to do anything when actually changing a lens on the camera, but it seems this could be an avoidable step.

It would seem a useful addition to the Fotos App and M10-D firmware to add this capability. I understand that setting a default lens for non detection  is possible on the M10-P.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This thread has gotten three pages down in the stack, but there are at least two serious issues with the firmware and Fotos support for the M10-D, so I will wake it up.

My M10-D is currently on image number 1500 in the directory that is in use.  Fotos goes crazy when there are more than 999 images in a folder.  The result is that the M10-D ends up stuck, with battery removal required to get it restarted.  The Customer Support folks tell me that this is an acknowledged bug and being worked on (for some time now).

Has anyone else run into this bug, and if so, care to share your experience in case there is more to it than I have reported?

And support for non-coded lenses Please!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been tempted by the M10-D but this issue would be a deal-breaker for me. Only one of my lenses is coded so I make extensive use of user profiles on my M9 - for me it is a perfectly satisfactory modus operandi which I adopt for lenses 28mm and below.  It seems odd that Leica does not provide a solution for such a fundamental requirement. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Apologies for bumping an old thread but was there any solution to setting a default unencoded lens on the M10-D?

The only thing that bugs me is the camera not being able to identify the focal length of the non-encoded lens.

In the case of my unencoded 15mm lens it sets the shutter speed higher than it needs to be and the Auto-ISO clicks up.

(I know I could set things up differently but I find the 2 x focal length minimum shutter speed setting and Auto-ISO works well for me.)

In the noisy sample below the shutter speed was set to 1/180sec while < 1/60sec would probably have been OK, dropping the ISO a couple of notches.

M10D, Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar 15mm F/4.5 Asph III, ISO 5000 1/180sec.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, robbie3 said:

Apologies for bumping an old thread but was there any solution to setting a default unencoded lens on the M10-D?

The only thing that bugs me is the camera not being able to identify the focal length of the non-encoded lens.

In the case of my unencoded 15mm lens it sets the shutter speed higher than it needs to be and the Auto-ISO clicks up.

(I know I could set things up differently but I find the 2 x focal length minimum shutter speed setting and Auto-ISO works well for me.)

In the noisy sample below the shutter speed was set to 1/180sec while < 1/60sec would probably have been OK, dropping the ISO a couple of notches.

M10D, Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar 15mm F/4.5 Asph III, ISO 5000 1/180sec.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Good point Robbie. I still have the 10D but bought an M10-P and set the Auto-ISO / Shutter speed to “2x FL”, same as you. And find that very useful.  I had forgotten that when I start using the 10D again then the lack of lens info will create problems with that.  I don’t own a single coded lens unfortunately, so set the 10D to 125/1 rather than related to shutter speed.

I think it’s a real shame that you can’t manually enter lenses via Fotos.   As far as I know it hasn’t been fixed or updated ?

• Like 2