Leica Q Remote Control

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was going to take the Leica Q to a job tonight and set it up on a tripod and fire it from my phone, the event is about an hour long does anyone have experience with it running this long, whether it loses connection or goes to sleep?

Going to run some trials this afternoon but appreciate any advice before I use it tonight.

NEVERMIND!

If it loses connection because you've gone too far (the next room) and you get back within range it won't reconnect, because I think it's not in wifi mode anymore.

I'll be in a church I suspect it would easily lose connection based on this.

12 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Are you thinking about those Panasonic S1s, yet?

Just took me a while to remember what it was actually - a Panasonic full frame camera with an L mount that can take SL/TL lenses - I forgot it existed!

I have to say I've stopped looking at new cameras, I'd say I'm content with what I have - but it's probably because I don't have the same kind of disposable income as I had, now that I'm starting a new career in photography.

• Thanks 1

The Leica Q responds superbly to remote control with the native app (not the "Fotos" app) from my iPhone. I'm sorry that I've forgotten who gave me this advice on this forum, but it works splendidly every time:

1.Turn on WLAN on your Leica Q.

2. Select Control mode in the WLAN settings.

3. On your iPhone, go to WiFi settings and select "Leica_xxx" for your WiFi connection.

4. Open the Leica Q app and press the big red button to connect.

5. On your phone, you can now see through the camera's viewfinder and take pictures and videos at will. Enjoy!

Thank you, whoever you were, who told me about this!

• Like 2

I installed and tried the Fotos app for the first time yesterday on my Android phone and it worked fine. I only tried remote control mode (controling the camera remotely when it's on the tripod) and it was perfectly fine for that usage scenario. I'm not interested in transfering files to the phone, but can see how that could be slow over camera wifi (especially for large DNG fiels, and also it would probably drain the battery). One important thing to remember is to always reset the camera to the profile you normally use after disconnecting the wifi (I normally don't use lcd screen to select focus points and remote control leaves the camera in that mode after disconnecting the wifi).