Capture One 11 / 12 Lens Profile defaults to Generic

Wyck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone else noticed this.

When importing RAW files into Capture One 11 from a M10 or M10P the lens profile always defaults to Generic.  I raised this as a support issue with C1 in September and they confirmed it was a bug.  If a supported lens is recognised the lens should be selected automatically.  You can work around this by creating a user preset on import but of course a pain if you use several lenses.  I would like to add C1 does have my lenses listed in their list of supported lenses and these can be selected manually.

I just raised another support ticket to see if this had been fixed in C1 12.  Unfortunately not, the response I received was:

'Sorry but at this stage I dont know when or even IF the bug your reported in 298.823 will be fixed.'

The response went on to say it was low priority as I was the only person who had reported this bug.

Something else to note is the M10P is still not fully supported yet either in version 12. 

C1 v12 interface is quite nice..i noticed something called upgrade engine..can do that per image..no explanation in the release notes but assume its the processing engine version

M10 is supported in C1v12..so isn't that the same as the m10-D and m10-p ?

No SL lenses in the list..interesting

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

I am not sure why I should bother for lens profiles in any software - for M lenses. They were designed and corrected to work "properly" on any photographic medium - not just with digital raw converters. May be this is different for TL lenses which were made for digital use only. But I paid some money to get a proper lens for the M - and be it an old screwmount version, so that I do not see the point of applying software to change their character (I am not talking about "soul" and "magic" and so on...)

When I try to apply the "corrections" Lightroom offers for M lenses, either I do not see any difference or they are so minimal that I do not see any advantage in using the profiles. So I leave them off.   If Capture One would offer their own profiles which make  big changement I'd be sure that something was wrong.  

Edited by UliWer
  • Thanks 2

I think my frustration with C1 is how quickly new releases appear (appears to be annually) and quite often bugs that have been reported in the previous version for example C1 11 are rarely fixed.  You then have to pay to upgrade to the latest version for the bug to be fixed, however, in this case it is still not fixed.  C1 have also increased the upgrade price this time significantly.  There is a lot of frustration about this on the Phase One user forum.

frame-it - The M10 P/D produce the same files as the M10 but the problem is in the exif, C1 technically doesn't support the P/D versions yet.  If you use the Leica M10 Generic ICC profile the colours are very saturated, you also do not have any of the WB settings, other than manual control.  Not a big issue.  I used LumaRiver to create my own ICC profiles.  The same problem exists in LR, you cannot access any of the Adobe profiles.  This has been discussed before here:

My latest reply from C1 is below:

"On a side note if the Leica "community" was to push more for support on Leica cameras and lenses issues like this would likely get more attention.

Have a good day!"

So I guess from reading the response from C1 support it's a case of logging support requests for more Leica products to be supported.