Geoff Marshall

Meet up in Lacock Wiltshire

After the success of the York meet in September I have been thinking about a meeting in Lacock Wiltshire around May/June time. Lacock is a great village for scenic photography and the Abbey was the home of Fox Talbot. If anyone is interested let me know and I will arrange a date, Bank holidays are probably not a good idea as it gets very busy. 

I would be interested, health permitting. Definitely avoid peak times. The village is very much a National Trust village with tenants in most of the cottages. Filming for cinema and TV occurs regularly, always with notice. Fox Talbot museum has some interesting material from earliest days of photography. Abbey and cloisters are open. Water meadows by River Avon with wild flowers in early summer. Interesting Anglican church. Accommodation in and around the village would enable off-peak personal visits during early morning or in the evenings, the best times for photography.

Depending on when I may be interested. I used to live about 3 miles from Lacock and its always good to revisit.

Lacock is a half-hour drive for me so I would be interested. However, I'll be out out of the country for all of May plus early June and when we return I will have lots of 'catching-up' type of tasks - with no immediate chance of escape! ;)  Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Also interested.  Would Chippenham be the better railway station to arrive at?

Pete.

10 minutes ago, farnz said:

Pete.

I think that Chippenham is the closest railway station to Lacock if travelling from London. You'd either need a lift, or to look up the bus timetables though - Chippenham to Melksham route if I remember correctly, and Lacock is easily walkable from the main road between these two towns, although there will no doubt be buses 'via Lacock'. Last time I visited the photo centre (next to the tithe barn) there was a super exhibition of astronomical photography upstairs.

Chippenham  is your best choice unless coming from the south. Buses  link local towns and divert through Lacock village centre.

1 hour ago, farnz said:

Pete.

Hi Pete, Chippenham is the best station for Lacock, I will be staying in Chippenham for the weekend so would be able to pick you up and drop you off at the station on the day

Geoff

Thanks, Geoff, that's a very kind offer.

Pete.

We would be interested and like Geoff would probably stay in Chippenham, so you'll have your choice of a lift Pete.

On a side note, best to avoid the time around the 4th May as that's the date for the New York meeting.

Cheers, Tom