Meet up in Lacock Wiltshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After the success of the York meet in September I have been thinking about a meeting in Lacock Wiltshire around May/June time. Lacock is a great village for scenic photography and the Abbey was the home of Fox Talbot. If anyone is interested let me know and I will arrange a date, Bank holidays are probably not a good idea as it gets very busy. 

• Like 1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on date, I would try and make it. I think it is pretty busy most weekends.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Here’s a photo taken by the ford

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I would be interested, health permitting. Definitely avoid peak times. The village is very much a National Trust village with tenants in most of the cottages. Filming for cinema and TV occurs regularly, always with notice. Fox Talbot museum has some interesting material from earliest days of photography. Abbey and cloisters are open. Water meadows by River Avon with wild flowers in early summer. Interesting Anglican church. Accommodation in and around the village would enable off-peak personal visits during early morning or in the evenings, the best times for photography.

• Like 1

Lacock is a half-hour drive for me so I would be interested. However, I'll be out out of the country for all of May plus early June and when we return I will have lots of 'catching-up' type of tasks - with no immediate chance of escape! ;)  Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the thread.

10 minutes ago, farnz said:

Also interested.  Would Chippenham be the better railway station to arrive at?

Pete.

I think that Chippenham is the closest railway station to Lacock if travelling from London. You'd either need a lift, or to look up the bus timetables though - Chippenham to Melksham route if I remember correctly, and Lacock is easily walkable from the main road between these two towns, although there will no doubt be buses 'via Lacock'. Last time I visited the photo centre (next to the tithe barn) there was a super exhibition of astronomical photography upstairs.

• Thanks 1

We would be interested and like Geoff would probably stay in Chippenham, so you'll have your choice of a lift Pete.

On a side note, best to avoid the time around the 4th May as that's the date for the New York meeting.

Cheers, Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim B said:

Like the others, depending on date, I might be interested.

I would be unable to come on a Sunday.

I would probably drive from Solihull, if anyone in the West Midlands is interested in a lift.

Tim

Hi Tim

The meeting will be on a Saturday and more than likely late May or early June as I don’t want it to clash with the meeting in New York, just need to avoid bank holidays as Lacock can get extremely busy. 

Geoff

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...