Lightroom CC is severely lacking when compared to Classic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have no idea what Adobe are up to.

There is so much functionality that is either missing or impossible to find (which amounts to the same thing).

For example - Merging photos to create panoramas. MIA

Searching on Adobe forums, it seems that, despite paying a subscription for this software, it's actually a revert back to a V1 software and "we will have to wait until the Classic functions are added back". That's from a post from over a year ago.

Lightroom CC is a MASSIVE con.

That’s why I moved from LR 6 standalone to LR Classic CC, not LR CC, which is a watered down program.  I also avoid cloud storage; if that’s ever mandated, I’m out of Adobe.  There have been other discussions here on these issues.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I signed up for Lightroom CC a few months ago, alongside my LR Classic subscription. I went into it open-eyed and knew from all the information out there that LR CC is limited in many of the areas of functionality where it overlaps with Classic. No, it's not a con - all this information is out there - but I still hope there will be some big upgrades over the next year or so.

What LR CC offers that LR Classic does not is two major things that are valuable to me:

- the ability seamlessly to sync photos to a common archive/catalogue from wherever you happen to take them: via phone, tablet or laptop. While travelling in India recently I could either upload edited photos to LR CC on the go from my tablet (limited by local wifi connection speeds though) or have them automatically synced when I got home (or, on one occasion a paid-for high speed wifi connection), and maintain common edit records. Now at home, I can choose to edit on my tablet or PC in turn. I don't have to do anything to sync them.

- the ability to share photos via a web link without creating new copies. For clients I can just send them a link to the album and let them review and download. For using photos in emails to friends, I just send them a link - no need to make a new copy downsized as an attachment.

There are many aspects of LR CC that are seriously limiting: advanced editing (though you can use Photoshop from LR CC), batch file rename, cataloguing flaws (no easy way to find all photos NOT in an album), no printing facility (except through PS), and many others. I have created a workaround by maintaining a local store of images in LR Classic on my PC, where I can do better editing and renaming which get synced back to LR CC, and printing, but this has its own limitations, including having to maintain a LR Classic subscription. I have justified this by dropping my Crashplan subscription for offsite backup - backup for me now is a combination of Adobe for photos and Onedrive for everything else.

Message for anyone thinking of using LR CC: don't choose it without knowing what you're jumping into!

Thanks folks. Classic case of "caveat emptor" here.

I knew that some functions were missing from CC, but not that maybe 90% of them aren't included.

I will keep CC just for the online cloud storage that comes with the subscription, but will go out and buy a new copy of Classic CC to use it properly.

Edit: It doesn't look like they still sell a standalone, desktop version any more.

I'll stick with LR6 for the desktop work. I wonder if I can use the local backup files as a new catalog for LR6... I will have a play later when I get home from the office.

I have a Lightroom Classic/CC Photography plan with 20 GB cloud storage. Not everyone knows that one can sync an unlimited number of photos from Classic if you just manually drag them to a synced album or to the All Synced Photographs collection. These do not count towards the 20 GB limit. There are only two drawbacks: you don’t sync originals; the synced photos are converted to smart previews (but they are fully editable and large enough for the most part), and videos are not synced.

I also have some videos, but only about 10 GB, and these I sync "the other direction" – from LR CC. This way I have all my photos and videos available in the cloud with just a 20 GB plan.

Edited by evikne

1 hour ago, andybarton said:

I'll stick with LR6 for the desktop work. I wonder if I can use the local backup files as a new catalog for LR6... I will have a play later when I get home from the office.

Can't you ask Adobe to change your subscription to LR Classic CC instead, pointing out your reasons for this?

Having the subscription does mean you get updates as soon as they come out.

John

"Paxxxx Axxxxx

We are experiencing technical difficulties that affect the resolution to your query. We are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Please contact us after 2 -3 hours. Thank you for your patience.  "