Wurlitzer1015

Restoring the more rare M3

Very nice little summary of the M3. There are even more variations than are mentioned here eg dots on rewind knob. You would have quite a few M3s if you tried to get every 'variant' and it would be quite an expensive collection, particularly for the 700xxx and black paint items. I stopped after I got two M3s, a double stroke and a single stroke. I concentrate my collecting efforts on earlier LTM cameras, particularly the I Model A, the II Model D and the 'c' range and Summar lenses.

William 

That exposé on the M3 from Setadel in Canada (where I bought my 85 Summarex from) was very interesting. My M3, which is from the last 1966 batch, still has the surround to the lens release button. I am guess this only disappeared after they started to make M4's. My M4, the 47th production camera (#1175047) from 1967, has like all M4's, no surround. 

Wilson

My former c.1969 'no guard' military M3 

dunk 

My original intention with an M3 was to buy a rough one with a rigid Summicron and send them to Alan Starkie to get them painted military/Bundeseigentum green. Then my current M3 in near mint with a pretty good 50/2.8 Elmar-M (ELMOM version) came up, which was far too nice to that to it, so I still don't have my green M3 😪

Wilson

7 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

That exposé on the M3 from Setadel in Canada (where I bought my 85 Summarex from) was very interesting. My M3, which is from the last 1966 batch, still has the surround to the lens release button. I am guess this only disappeared after they started to make M4's. My M4, the 47th production camera (#1175047) from 1967, has like all M4's, no surround. 

Wilson

My M3, 1158677, bought new in '68, doesn't have the surround, neither did its twin 1158466 which I bought at the same time, but sold about 25 yrs ago.

Gerry