Handheld or monopod for the SL 90-280?

Per P.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My question refers to those situations where you would handhold a shorter/lighter lens. Do you tend to do that with the SL 90-280 as well or do you (often) use a monopod?

Also, for handheld, what shutter speeds are you consistently able to use with IS? No bragging... 🙂

I posted this in the Photo Forum. It was handheld with the CL attached. It was at 280 (420 on the CL). It is very sharp. Since the lens has IS it is easy to use this way. The shutter speed was 400.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I almost never use a tripod or monopod for this lens. I usually use it handheld in A mode (adjusted with exposure compensation based on the histogram), and the shutter speed limit set to 1/f. So I typically end up with 1/250 at the long end and 1/80 at the shorter end. For static subjects this is fine, though at the longer end it doesn't take much subject movement to cause blur. I have used it for indoor dance photography at 1/800. The quality is limited in these cases by how high I allow the ISO to go: for ISO 10000 and above, you have to plan for some 'impressionism' in the final result.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Handheld trial, ISO 12500 1/250 sec f/4.0

Only handheld with this lens for photos as the IS is fantastic, better than in the 24-90SL zoom. Fatigue is not an issue with Sun-Sniper straps https://www.sun-sniper.com/de/rotaball-one.html

How is the one below for handheld, 1/50 sec. at 179 mm?

Less compressed JPEG here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-S4PLbt/

ISO 200 f/10 @1/50 sec.
  • Like 1

Using a monopod depends where I am.  recently. in a safari Land Rover I could use it some of the time - but depending where the mammal or bird was I sometimes had to shoot handheld but tried where possible to brace my left hand or arm.  Normally I had the camera set to 1/1000s , aperture wide open, floating iso, single point of focus. Mostly I got sharply focused images!  Have to say though using the monopod where possible gives a real sense of security and makes placing the focusing cross on eyes that much easier!

My 2 cents is that a good tripod used correctly has the best potential for best image quality. However you already knew that and of course it depends entirely on what and how you shoot.
1/1000th seems like a good substitute and as mentioned precise aiming/framing is assisted with support. That's the old school approach. IS I am sure can help. Ancedotally it hasn't been a game changer for me

Edited by hoppyman

7 hours ago, hoppyman said:

My 2 cents is that a good tripod used correctly has the best potential for best image quality. However you already knew that and of course it depends entirely on what and how you shoot.
1/1000th seems like a good substitute and as mentioned precise aiming/framing is assisted with support. That's the old school approach. IS I am sure can help. Ancedotally it hasn't been a game changer for me

Without additional IBIS the effect of OIS in a long lens is limited.

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

Can you explain this? In terms of actuation range, it is OIS that has the most effect in long lenses. IBIS is limited to mm like movement in the image plane, where a well placed and controlled optical element in a long lens can easily actuate multiples of that displacement in the image plane. Or do you mean the rotation correction capability of IBIS?

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

I don’t have or use long lenses. My personal experience was with the SL and 24-90. I am a little mistrustful of in body systems. I like that sensor bolted down as from years with the M and S system. If I forgot to turn it off when using a tripod/monopod I was sabotaging myself. But the main point of my contribution was that that traditional methods of high shutter speeds and solid support are still valid.

In the meantime I splashed out and bought the SL 90-280. The size of the box nearly gave me a heart attack and I think it is a cunning trick by Leica because the lens itself looks comparatively small when unpacked. It isn't small, of course, and also not light, but I have to say handling is exceptional. As is the image quality. Wow!

Thanks to Jaap for the idea of defining a long lens preset. I have done that and set minimum speed to 1/250, auto iso up to 6400, and IS on. This works a treat so I saved a monopod and will either use the lens hand held or on a proper tripod.

Thanks to all who responded.

On 12/8/2018 at 2:02 PM, Conrad69 said:

Can you explain this? In terms of actuation range, it is OIS that has the most effect in long lenses. IBIS is limited to mm like movement in the image plane, where a well placed and controlled optical element in a long lens can easily actuate multiples of that displacement in the image plane. Or do you mean the rotation correction capability of IBIS?

In some cameras the OI.S and I.B.I.S are linked, resulting in a 5-axis, 5-stop stabilization. That is far more effective than any single system.

Am 9.12.2018 um 14:21 schrieb Per P.:

In the meantime I splashed out and bought the SL 90-280. The size of the box nearly gave me a heart attack and I think it is a cunning trick by Leica because the lens itself looks comparatively small when unpacked.

As the Americans psychologist Barry Schwartz says, the secret to happiness is low expectations. 

Am 9.12.2018 um 14:21 schrieb Per P.:

I have done that and set minimum speed to 1/250, auto iso up to 6400, and IS on.

The only problem you have now is that ISO 6400 on the SL is no good. You may have to wait for the S1/S1R or the SL2 to see the benefits of those settings.