Is it possible to remove display and buttons from M8? (M-D like)

alexey kurbatov

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys!

This is my first message here, and i googled a lot and found nothing. I wanted to ask, is its possible to totally remove whole display and buttons part out of rear part of camera and replace it with piece of plastic?

Will camera work with disconnected display and buttons? 

I am totally ok, set it to ISO400 and raw, and dont touch any settings later.

Of course i have read Mark Norton tread, so i know how to disassemble it. But my question is - what camera will do after me disconnetcting all three tini flat cables off circuit board. Will  camera go crazy without display connected? What means for camera to have buttons cable disconnected - is it like "button is not pressed" or is it like "hey, why there is no button connected"?

I didnt buy m8 yet, so i dont want to invest if i would know for sure that its not going to work.

PS
 i was trying to send private message to Mark - but its forbidden for me (or he restricted it)

There have been various threads that indicated that a loose flexcable (which should be the same as disconnecting it) will cause the camera to break down. As the switches are not simple press-for-contact, but send commands to the central processor, it is quite likely that disconnecting them will cause malfunctions.

However, there is only one way to find out for sure.Why do you want to do so anyway?

Heresy!  but what you want is an Epson R-D1 (1s/1x), based on Bessa film rangefinder.  Takes M lenses, you can flip the screen and it will look just like a film camera. Unfortunately its only 6MP but I use one alongside my M8.2 because it has better high ISO.  Like the M8 it also does great B/W images plus the lever winder also cocks the shutter like a 'real' rangefinder.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Screen open

Screen flipped

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2018 at 5:25 PM, alexey kurbatov said:

This is my first message here, and i googled a lot and found nothing. I wanted to ask, is its possible to totally remove whole display and buttons part out of rear part of camera and replace it with piece of plastic?

You might consider having the cover replaced with brick-pattern shelf paper.

I really do not understand the preoccupation some users have with getting the "film experience" from digital cameras. If it's that important then just buy a film camera or an M-D.

The camera will be cheaper, more reliable, hold its value better, have lower maintenance costs, and most importantly of all, offer photography purity.

I know what I would do...

The best cheap investment I've ever made for my Leica M8.
Follow the link.

Edited by jeri

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello. The M6 and the M8 have more or less the same value in Ebay, I believe. So a change without a lot of money  seems possible.

The M8 is a higher risk, because the electronics is not supported anymore. But personally I would prefer a sensor camera. The M8 has the (perhaps small) disadvantage to be sensible to infrared, but I would test this first. You should look after the M8.2.

It is not possible to change a sensor camera into a simulated analog one (removing knobs and LCD screen). We did not understand, what you mean with that. 

Jan

On 1/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, alexey kurbatov said:

I was thinking about having "almost" film camera with no display. Not a case or duct tape, but no display at all. But i dont have money for M-D and M-8 trick is not working. So i decided to continue my film adventure (My last camera before that was M6).

I think you can deactivate the screen on the m8 if I remember well. Not sure, though, need to check.

Yes, on the digital Ms you can deactivate the autoreview on the screen:
Menu > Auto Review > Time > OFF
This is from the M8 Manual: