Flashes for L-Mount Cameras

BCMielke

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Brian C in Az said:

So far they are only 3 years behind the SL.....

Has anyone found a remote that will work  on the SL?

What do you want your remote to do? Only Leica's SFC1 will give you TTL/HSS.

I use a Godox XPro trigger/remote controller (no TTL/HSS), but a search on this forum will show members who use other brands.

Plenty of dumb wireless triggers will work - I've used Pocketwizard MiniTT1.

On 11/27/2018 at 10:02 PM, BCMielke said:

Yeah, that's what I though you would say.  I think Panasonic and Sigma will be OK.  Leica seems to rely upon a lot of third-party people and flash always seems to lag behind.  

I don't know about Sigma, but Panasonic appears to use the same flash suppliers as Leica, albeit with less of a markup.

8 hours ago, Brian C in Az said:

I don't necessarily need TTL or HSS.

I just want a reliable wireless trigger to fire my lights.

The Elinchrom skyport system has worked for me with many thousands of exposures with M, S  and SL systems. It is not system specific just a reliable wireless trigger.

Edited by hoppyman

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 7:07 PM, jaapv said:

Rather unlikely I think. Flash systems have nothing to do with the lens mount and are mostly brand-specific.

But isn't that precisely the problem?  Isn't that exactly what Leica is trying to solve with the L mount?  I can't see why the L mount alliance can't be extended to System flashes, sounds like a great idea to me.

The current Panasonic/ Olympus micro four thirds share a common flash protocol. A number of 3rd party flash/strobe makers support including Godox and Nissin.

I hope that there will be a common flash protocol for L Mount as well to attract more third party lighting suppliers to support as there is higher economies of scale from a larger base of users.

• 4 weeks later...

I read somewhere that Panasonic stated that they would stick with their current hotshoe (4/3 standard). This means you'll have access to several triggers that do HSS/TTL out of the box NOW. Godox/Nissin etc. "If" they go with the Leica standard then you'll need to wait for triggers to be developed/made/shipped.

I can't see Panasonic wanting to have two flash protocols within their brand (as Leica does with it's Panasonic made cameras).

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

The official specification for the S1/S1R list Panasonic's current M43 flashes as the TTL wirelessly compatible (e.g., FL200L, FL360L, FL580L) that work natively with the S1/S1R. One assumes that this means Olympus M43 flashes and 3rd party flashes and triggers that work with Panasonic/Olympus protocol will work as well. 

I would advise a Profoto A1 if you can swing it. It is the best on camera flash I have used...I only wish they would incorporate the AIR trigger in the body like they do on Phase One, for example. Either way, the hotshoe mount air transmitters work very well. Once you make the big investment into the system, you then have access to a flash system which is very extensive, very reliable, easy to rent in most larger markets and far better in use than the typical flash system. I was using a Leica specific Metz flash before I converted (albeit 12 years old), and the differences in utility are shocking -- no more waiting for endless recycling times, batteries dying quickly, no cords or unreliable triggers. For those of us who do a lot of night work, the powerful modeling light alone is hugely useful. If you by any chance already have any other Profoto flashes or components, then the A1 is all the more in order...

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 1

Stuart,

I agree. I've used A1s on camera (you need to switch the flash to sync mode to fire on a camera other than Canon or Nikon).  Does anyone know if the Air Remote TTL-O (the Olympus version) also works with Panasonic cameras? Every trigger I've tried for m43 supports Panasonic and Olympus, but I haven't used the Profoto Olympus trigger.  My concern is that in marketing the TTL-O, Profoto makes the point, multiple times, that it was co-designed by Olympus to support Olympus cameras and never mentions cross-compatibility with Profoto. My guess is that it should work fine, but am curious.

• 2 weeks later...